“Are we Living In a Simulation?” - or who exactly Created the Universe?

Socratus O' Pericles

Do androids dream of electric sheeple?

Catalpast

Thanks for all the replies Folks

I go with God created the Heavens and the Earth.....

I read it in a book somewhere.... :cool:

The Laws of Physics pretty well clinch it that we live in a Universe based on 'Intelligent Design'

I suppose for us humans the nub of the issue is

- where do we fit in...:confused:

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

The Laws of Physics pretty well clinch it that we live in a Universe based on 'Intelligent Design'

Nonsense.

God doesn't contribute anything to any explanation.

It just adds a new entity, thus decreasing the explanatory value (parsimony) of any scientific explanation.

silverharp

The Field Marshal

I have yet to discover in the religious world or the scientific world anything to surpass the power, elegance and simplicity of the following statement from the old Irish catechism:

Q :Who made the world?
A : God made the world.

olli rehn

I have yet to discover in the religious world or the scientific world anything to surpass the power, elegance and simplicity of the following statement from the old Irish catechism:

Who made God ?

benroe

Its a profoundly unscientific theory.

In order to explain a complex reality, they are positing the existence of another complex reality outside it.

Why not go the whole hog, and say God Did It? Its nothing but Intelligent Design under another name.
Is it though, I mean there is no requirement for invoking the supernatural in the possible mechanism of perpetual simulations.
All you would have to believe is that there were a program, that once set in motion would end with an intelligence that could become technologically advanced enough to create its own simulations.
Unfortunately this would not help us in finding out what if anything created the original universe or if ours is in any way similar to it and how much was lost in simulation.

Mercurial

I cannot see a sound basis of any of those three premises, so the conclusion is not valid.
It doesn't follow from the fact that you can't see a sound basis for any of the propositions that the conclusion is not "valid".

The full paper is here.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

How about:
A : Nobody made the world.

the metre is almost as pleasing and the answer is more meaningful and/or more probable.

Vega1447

As said above, positing that we live in a simulation has no explanatory value.

As the world within which the simulation is running is inherently inaccessible and therefore unknowable to the occupants (us) of the simulation.

Like positing that the Universe was created by a God it is an admission of failure or despair.

New Threads

Most Replies