Are we racist?

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Catalpa said:
I know nobody in Ireland can live on 19 Euro a week....you know that too.
The asylum seekers who receive 19 Euro a week are the ones who are in receipt of direct provision of accomodation, meals and other benefits. So they're not "living" on 19 Euro a week.

Now, how is the 19 Euro figure relevant to the well-dressed Black Africans you see around the place?

Bogwarrior

I've been to a few clubs in Dublin and often see black guys there. Nothing wrong with that. But it's the black women, I'm looking for. Why do you never see African women at clubs, but loads of African guys. Am I racist, or are they sexist?

Bogwarrior

smiffy said:
Bogwarrior said:
But it's the black women, I'm looking for. Why do you never see African women at clubs, but loads of African guys. Am I racist, or are they sexist?
:idea:

Maybe they know you're going to be there.
Who? The black guys or the wimin!

mjcoughlan

Website
www.bebo.com
Sitting in my Local last night with a good pal of mine having a couple of pints when i hear "these niggers (only stating what was said) are getting everything for nothing. They are fcuking scum along with all the fcuking spungers who are ruining this country."

Are we a racist nation? Or are the rantings of this individual a minority that cant see two foot ahead of him?
To answer the original question "are we racist"? I don't believe I am and we can only speak for ourselves as individuals. Those people you describe certainly do hold racist attitudes but that does not necessarily mean that Irish people, in general, are racist.

hinkar

gobshite said:
the racism is not just by ignorant people it is systemic in our society and is no longer acceptable there is a notion of a new society in ucc to combat racism it has somehow been stuck in justice
Will there be any punctuation in this new society?

Wednesday

Website
ceadaoin.blogspot.com
Bogwarrior said:
I've been to a few clubs in Dublin and often see black guys there. Nothing wrong with that. But it's the black women, I'm looking for. Why do you never see African women at clubs, but loads of African guys. Am I racist, or are they sexist?
I always see African women when I go to clubs, mind you they're usually working as loo attendant.

What makes you think either racism or sexism has anything to do with it? Maybe African women just don't like the club scene.

Bogwarrior

I know it's not scientific, but when I was in the States, I found the Irish community, and Irish Americans the most racist bunch I ever met. I'd say the Ulster loyalists are quite a racist bunch too. I must admit being guilty of racism, at times. I don't think anybody can honestly say they haven't, at some stage.

TheBanned

Wednesday said:
What makes you think either racism or sexism has anything to do with it? Maybe African women just don't like the club scene.
Is the above a racist statement?

Bogwarrior

Wednesday said:
Bogwarrior said:
I always see African women when I go to clubs, mind you they're usually working as loo attendant.

Yeah, maybe African wimin don't like to dance. :roll: . Or maybe the men are King in the household. They do have a very male dominated culture. Not necessarily a bad thing either...if you're a man.

Bogwarrior

smiffy said:
Bogwarrior said:
Yeah, maybe African wimin don't like to dance. :roll: .
Or maybe they just don't like dancing with you.
Doubt it, Smiffy. I'm actually quite hot. I've also got some funky moves, and jive like a groovy cat. The chicks can't get enough of me. Visualise a young Don Johnson,.... but with acne.

mbari hogun

Most Irish-Americans are terribly racist and obnoxious. "Bro, I gatta pisss wicked bad, bro!"

Jay

TheBanned said:
Badnarik_Eire said:
apparently the council pays to get their hair done too...
I heard that too. Is it true?
I heard that hairdressers are able to redeem vouchers for up to €250 for providing a hairstyle in the ethnic style of the asylum seeker. Apparently some of these can involve quite a lot of work.
I would love to know if this is really the case or just a load of cobblers.
This is not true.
I have never heard of this happening and i deal with asylum seekers everyday of the week in my barber shop. My mother has been a hairdresser for over 30 years and she has never heard of this, it's obviously one of these rumours that has been constructed to push the Irish towards futher racism.
In my business i have to say i've had my fair share of trouble but to be honest it is generally a certain type of Irish person that causes it, not the refugees or the immigrants.

Wednesday

Website
ceadaoin.blogspot.com
Bogwarrior said:
Maybe African women just don't like the club scene.
Yeah, maybe African wimin don't like to dance. :roll: . Or maybe the men are King in the household. They do have a very male dominated culture. Not necessarily a bad thing either...if you're a man.
Not all African women are married, you know. There must be some other reason why the single ones don't go to clubs. I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that maybe Irish clubs don't appeal to them.

I wouldn't blame them, they don't appeal to me either!

gobshite

they are given 19 euro a week while going through the asylum process. they are fed but do not have a choice, even if the food is anthema to their religion, their right to education is severely limited by the lack pf money, if ye doubt the amount i was told it by a social policy lecturer and subsequently verified on a website (calypso, i think)

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom