Are we racist?

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Well, that's those who are in receipt of direct provision of services. Not all those in the asylum system are in that category. Others receive the equivalent of the same social welfare assistance that's available to Irish nationals, although it goes through the Health Board.

They don't get cars or hairdressing allowances, though.

Catalpa

smiffy said:
Well, that's those who are in receipt of direct provision of services. Not all those in the asylum system are in that category. Others receive the equivalent of the same social welfare assistance that's available to Irish nationals, although it goes through the Health Board.

They don't get cars or hairdressing allowances, though.
Who pays for their Houses then....the Health Boards?

smiffy

Website
Catalpa said:
Yes, the same way the Health Board pays for housing for Irish people in receipt of social welfare.

See this sentence in the previous post:

Others receive the equivalent of the same social welfare assistance that's available to Irish nationals

gobshite

any refugee going through the asylum process get 19 euro (9 per child) and are detained in holding centres, if they are accepted ase refugees they buy their own houses

Catalpa

smiffy said:
Catalpa said:
Yes, the same way the Health Board pays for housing for Irish people in receipt of social welfare.

See this sentence in the previous post:

Others receive the equivalent of the same social welfare assistance that's available to Irish nationals
Who decides and on what basis are houses allocated to AS.

I mean do they pick a house and then pass the tab onto the Irish taxpayers via the Health Boards or is it more subtle than that?

Or are Houses bought in advance by Health Boards and then the AS this is where you have to live.

Do they live mostly in Council Estates or Private ones?

Where are there numbers most prevalent in Dublin.

How many AS are living in Houses paid for by the Health Boards?

How many children do they have?

Where do they get the great clothes and mobiles if their living on in effect Social Welfare payments?

What is the breakdown of the different countries they come from by % ratios?

What are their names?

smiffy

Website
gobshite said:
any refugee going through the asylum process get 19 euro (9 per child) and are detained in holding centres
'Asylum seeker', not refugee.

And, as I've already told you, not all asylum seekers are in receipt of direct provision, although many are. And they're certainly not "detained in holding centres". Some are in rental accomodation, and some are in state-run centres, but they're not 'detained'.

TheBanned

A nigerian woman who was deported from Tralee had her 3 yr old picked up from playschool, which was according to the teacher very upsetting for the other children there.

I thought that there was a severe lack of pre-school care in Ireland?
Working people fork out a packet to pay for what's available.
Presumably this child's mother was not working?

smiffy

Website
TheBanned said:
I thought that there was a severe lack of pre-school care in Ireland?
Working people fork out a packet to pay for what's available.
Presumably this child's mother was not working?
The State provides capital and staffing funding for creches run by community/not-for-profit groups which are targeted at disadvantage. It also provides a certain amount of capital funding to private providers.

In addition, a large number of groups (including refugee support groups) provide childcare through their own financing, and with no State assistance.

Not having an income does not necessarily mean that you can't access childcare, but places are extremely limited.

gobshite

smiffy said:
gobshite said:
any refugee going through the asylum process get 19 euro (9 per child) and are detained in holding centres
'Asylum seeker', not refugee.

And, as I've already told you, not all asylum seekers are in receipt of direct provision, although many are. And they're certainly not "detained in holding centres". Some are in rental accomodation, and some are in state-run centres, but they're not 'detained'.
they have a time to be home at in the evening and the centres are usually a fair bit away from urban centres, makes you feel safe doesn't it, so on 19 euro a week you're not going to be going to the city too often are you?

eurocrat

Is this topic in the NI section for a reason? i.e Is the question about Northern Ireland being a Racist state rather than the 26 country special administrive zone?

Vol

Rocky said:
We should help real asylum seekers. How would you feel if you were forced to leave your home and your country, where you might have a decent life, and be forced to move to a strange country which you might not know the language of the people, leaving everything you have behind you.

It's our duty as a rich country to help others who are less well off then ourselves. To give them a chance to start up a new and successful life in Ireland
...forced from their country...but not forced to come to Ireland, eh?

Lilac

Website
www.patriota.pl
Back to the question "Are we racist?"

According to my experience (other people on these boards have a different opinion because they also have made different experiences): A clear NO!
When I just arrived in Ireland, the only words I knew were: "yes", "no", "hallo", "bye" and "Happy birthday!"(= with an ununderstandable pronunciation of course).
My way of communicating were hand movements.
But I experienced that this Irish people was really willing to understand me and help me to get along in this new world.
I have never been a victim of prejudices or hatred towards my origin.
That's why I have generally a very good opinion about the Irish nation and I have to say that I'm absolutely surprised that some people here think differently about them, i.e. that they are racist.

And I also think that we shouldn't generalize wether the Irish are racist or not.
Let's agree: Some are, some are not.

pluralist

I am glad that you have had good experiences in Ireland, Lilac. I sometimes wonder though if white immigrants are less likely to experience racism than non-whites?

Liberty-101

iceman said:
Sitting in my Local last night with a good pal of mine having a couple of pints when i hear "these niggers (only stating what was said) are getting everything for nothing. They are fcuking scum along with all the fcuking spungers who are ruining this country."

Are we a racist nation? Or are the rantings of this individual a minority that cant see two foot ahead of him?

Your honest views please, no party politics.
You will always get parts like that, they are unusally uneducated unemployed bums themselves...or taxi drivers.

Needahome

What is racist?

Do I believe that Black, Asian, Chinese, Eastern European have the same intelligence and wants as an Irish person? Yes maybe more intelligence so than many Irish persons.

Do I believe that every non-european wishing to live in Ireland be allowed access to education, health, social welfare allowances while living in Ireland? No

I believe that asylum seekers should have their application processed within 4 weeks. Those refused to stay in Ireland should be deported immediately. Those allowed to stay in Ireland as their status has changed to refugee should be allowed to work, have total access to education, social welfare etc.

However I do believe that large numbers of people applying for asylum are creating stories of tribal/ethnic beatings etc. I firmly believe that Ireland is seen as a soft touch, why do so many Nigerians apply for asylum here? The Dublin Convention clearly states that people applying for asylum should do so in their first port of call. There are NO direct flights between Ireland and Nigeria. Why are so many of the Black asylum seekers here from Nigeria and not from war-torn countries like Angola, Rwanda, Somilia.

I think Minister McDowell has an extremely unpopular and tough job but his predecessor done absolutely nothing to address the exploition of Irish Citizenship etc.

Is racism about colour of skin or religion?
I think of bogus asylum seekers wheter from Albania/Romania/White South Africans as the same as bogus asylum seekers from Nigeria??

I work with non-nationals everyday I have to check Passports/Identification. A large number of non-nationals that I deal with would have multiple identities! Why? The majority of Nigerians would have multiple visas possibly two passports attached to each other with visas to most countries in the world, Why haven't they applied to these countries for asylum? The average passport has 32 pages thus allowing the bearer to have passport stamped by 32 countries. I have travelled around the world myself extensively and have never exhausted a 32 page passport. An Irish passport has 32 pages and lasts for 10 years. A Nigerian passport has 32 pages and lasts for 5 years , despite this most Nigerians that produce their passport to me have two passports stuck together because they have exhausted their 32 pages in less than 5 years??????? Of all the countries they visited why oh why didn't they apply for asylum in those countries.

Does this make me a racist???

between the bridges

Are we feck, bejasyus...

Enigma Variations

Selective anecdotal evidence as usual, from our resident UVF supporter.

There are racists everywhere and they are odious creeps, regardless of where they come from. However some communities seem to produce more of them than others. Yours is one of those. The Republic would seem to have a much smaller problem in this respect than Northern Ireland, Racist attacks are reported to average 5 a week in the south compared to 14 a week in Northern Ireland, despite NI accounting for only around 28.5% of the population of the entire island. And allowing for the fact that the majority of those attacks are known to take place in loyalist areas it becomes even more mortifying for you.

5 ‘serious incidents’ of racism a week in Ireland

Two racist attacks every day in Northern Ireland's race-hate crime surge - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

The PSNI also said it was in no doubt about the involvement of paramilitary groups, notably the UVF.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies