Are we too overcritical of our politicians?

sport02

The last few days has shown the chaotic shambles Brexit is posing for the UK.

I watched a joint press conference with Simon Coveney and Boris Johnson on Thursday and then watched a live interview with Leo Varadkar on Sky News. I immediately thought to myself how both Leo and Simon are streets ahead of their British counterparts.

I know on twitter, many British people have such high praise for both Leo and Simon and are aghast at the likes of May, Boris, Rees-Mogg and co.

gleeful

Sometimes we are over critical, but most of the time I think we get the level just right

The UK situation is incompetence off the scale. The whole lot of them should be sacked.

Wascurito

They're not perfect and Leo is a little too image-focused but some of the stuff written about them here ("traitor", "scum", "murderer" etc..) is hysterical, totally over the top and is a sad reflection of the mental state of the poster.

sport02

Theresa May in all recent polls has a less favourable rating to how she and her government are handling Brexit.
I don't believe the same would be said for Leo and his government contrary to what Michael or Gerry claims.

Betson

I know on twitter, many British people have such high praise for both Leo and Simon and are aghast at the likes of May, Boris, Rees-Mogg and co.
Not all British people thought Leo's intervention last week on Brexit was helpful , at least one of the tabloids was fairly scathing in their criticism of him been naive etc , I think it was the Sun , although if he is upsetting them he must be doing something right.

Overall I think he is doing well on Brexit , certainly making noises anyway that Ireland are not going to sit quietly through these negotiations and take what is given. The big test will be if those noises are enough to influence things.

Notachipanoaktree

I watched a joint press conference with Simon Coveney and Boris Johnson on Thursday and then watched a live interview with Leo Varadkar on Sky News. I immediately thought to myself how both Leo and Simon are streets ahead of their British counterparts.

hahahahahahhahah ahahahahahahahahahhahhahahah ahahahahahahhahahhahahah

Who you sport02. Fn Dail Human Resources, eh?

sport02

I think in a recent interview with BBC Spotlight Northern Ireland Leo told the interviewer his style would be different, he would speak his mind. I think we need that in the current Brexit climate.

We need to make some noise.

tipofdiceberg

Corrupt politicians deserve all the criticism and more.

Sotired

No.

They are all completely corrupt, greedy, preening, spinelesss, €unts, to a one.

And, no.

I didn't vote for any of them.

dontcare

I live in England and I'd say Irish people definitely expect a lot more from their politicians and are definitely more critical. It's not necessarily a bad thing although a lot of the criticism is way over the top.

The English I know who have seen bits of Varadkar and Coveney think they're excellent. They would be remainers, I'd say the Brexiteers have a different view but I wouldn't consider that a bad thing.

dontcare

As inept as they are the prospect of Jihadi Jez, Marxist Komrade McDonnell and Corpulent Abbott calling the shots in government fills me with horror, I'm shuddering at the prospect.
I hear you but I don't know if they would do much worse than the current lot though.

Strawberry

As inept as they are the prospect of Jihadi Jez, Marxist Komrade McDonnell and Corpulent Abbott calling the shots in government fills me with horror, I'm shuddering at the prospect.
A Labour government would be much better for Ireland whatever effect they may have in Britain.

Spanner Island

Theresa May in all recent polls has a less favourable rating to how she and her government are handling Brexit.
I don't believe the same would be said for Leo and his government contrary to what Michael or Gerry claims.
Mehole and Gerry are p!ssed because they've little or no involvement in what is going on re: Brexit.

SF could have had a crucial role if they'd made an exception and sent their MPs to Westminster for various votes... that would have really p!ssed off the Tory/Brexit 'establishment' and their media cheerleaders... they'd have gone mental and would continue to go mental at every vote... which would be nice to see... :cool:

Are we over critical of politicians generally..? Dunno...

But I do know that some of them deserve serious grief the way they carry on and for failure to legislate and implement policies that require guts and standing up to various vested interests etc...

Personally I just want TDs to do their jobs competently and with integrity. I'm not interested in pot holes or asking them to fast track my passport if I'm stupid enough to let it lapse or lose it etc.

But if they're incompetent or corrupt or involved in cronyism etc... then I'll lambast them until the feckin' cows come home... regardless of their party, gender, sexual orientation or anything else...

And for me there's far too much of these things within the Irish political system for it to be healthy.

Wascurito

No.

They are all completely corrupt, greedy, preening, spinelesss, €unts, to a one.

And, no.

I didn't vote for any of them.
You left out murdering, child-raping, paedophilic, genocidalist, racist, bigoted, Nazi, adulterous, gluttonous, lying, matricidal, patricidal, incestuous, zoophilic, necrophilic, treasonous, Satan-worshipping cannibals?

Why? Are you defending them? You're one of them, aren't you? :mad:

Peppermint

What we don't have in this country is a media capable of setting the agenda.
In the UK they have the SUN (and friends) who dictate the little englander agenda, which Tories, especially, bow to.. In the US I'm guessing the same roll is filled by Fox news?
The Indo dodgy and all as it is, has little power..

wombat

Sometimes we are over critical, but most of the time I think we get the level just right
I think much of the criticism is too personal, probably because the media feeds on trivia so policies are never analysed.

Strawberry

Mehole and Gerry are p!ssed because they've little or no involvement in what is going on re: Brexit.

SF could have had a crucial role if they'd made an exception and sent their MPs to Westminster for various votes... that would have really p!ssed off the Tory/Brexit 'establishment' and their media cheerleaders... they'd have gone mental and would continue to go mental at every vote... which would be nice to see...

Are we over critical of politicians generally... dunno...

They deserve some serious grief the way some of them carry on...

Personally I just want TDs to do their jobs competently and with integrity. I'm not interested in pot holes or asking them to fast track my passport if I'm stupid enough to let it lapse or lose it etc.

But if they're incompetent or corrupt or involved in cronyism etc... then I'll lambast them until the feckin' cows come home... regardless of their party, gender, sexual orientation or anything else...

And for me there's far too much of these things within the Irish political system for it to be healthy.
If you want politicians to operate with integrity you shouldn't be criticising SF for sticking to their election manifesto. If the northern nationalists had wanted an MP to take their seat they could have voted for the SDLP candidates. They didn't, which tells its own story.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies