• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Are you going to Malahide tomorrow?

statsman

I didn't get a ticket but may yet try to get in on the day. However the forecast is not great.
Yes, the weather's the problem, right enough. Hope you do go and get in, all the same.

Pizza Man

Won't be there in person, but will be there in spirit. Delighted to see that RTE will be transmitting the highlights.*

But I have a negative thought: Ed Joyce will be 40 in three months time and managed to score only 6 and 12 in his only game this season (scorecard) - yet he's still on the team.

Now I've known Ed since he was a kid and I admire and respect him greatly as a legend of Irish cricket , but the fact that he's still being picked in our national First XI at the age of 39 after 22 years in the team suggests to me that Irish cricket's conveyor belt isn't producing very many Test-quality batsmen.

(Similarly, the fact that one of our opening bowlers (the excellent Tim Murtagh) will be 37 in 3 months' time makes me a bit concerned about the depth of our test-quality bowling strength!)

Enjoy the game, those who are going; I really hope that the weather will be kind to ye.

*RTÉ Sport has confirmed that it will broadcast highlights of all five days of Ireland’s first ever Test match next month.

Ireland will take on Pakistan in this historic encounter in Malahide from Friday 11 May to Tuesday 15 May, and the daily highlights show will be available to watch on both RTÉ2 and the RTÉ Player. There will also be highlights of the Twenty-20 matches with India. The short-form games are on 27 and 29 June with similar coverage agreed.

former wesleyan

crossman

Won't be there in person, but will be there in spirit. Delighted to see that RTE will be transmitting the highlights.*

But I have a negative thought: Ed Joyce will be 40 in three months time and managed to score only 6 and 12 in his only game this season (scorecard) - yet he's still on the team.

Now I've known Ed since he was a kid and I admire and respect him greatly as a legend of Irish cricket , but the fact that he's still being picked in our national First XI at the age of 39 after 22 years in the team suggests to me that Irish cricket's conveyor belt isn't producing very many Test-quality batsmen.
I fear you are right but I think Joyce's selection is part sentiment (it would be tragic for him not to play in a test for Ireland) and part for his experience.

statsman

I fear you are right but I think Joyce's selection is part sentiment (it would be tragic for him not to play in a test for Ireland) and part for his experience.
This. It would be a travesty not to give him a game.

statsman

(Similarly, the fact that one of our opening bowlers (the excellent Tim Murtagh) will be 37 in 3 months' time makes me a bit concerned about the depth of our test-quality bowling strength!)

Enjoy the game, those who are going; I really hope that the weather will be kind to ye.
There are quite a few young players in the squad. I'm more concerned by how few of our players are currently playing county cricket in England, really. And by the decline of George Dockrell.

statsman

Will they be able to get through the rigid immigration checks? Eh?

It'll be a good test for those "new Irish" from the subcontinent- which team will they support?
(Think The Chingford Skinhead!)
No Tebbitt Test here; I'd say our Indian community will be right behind us, at least!

eoghanacht

I would go but I decided nailing my eyelids to the front door would be a far more entertaining experience than sitting through a game of cricket.

statsman

I would go but I decided nailing my eyelids to the front door would be a far more entertaining experience than sitting through a game of cricket.
I have a hammer and a few minutes to spare.

Pizza Man

So roughly how many games did you watch before arriving at that considered opinion?

From my point of view. there are few things more enjoyable than watching cricket on a warm, sunny summer's day with a pint of cider in my hand - and few things less enjoyable than being sheltering from the rain at a cricket match on the kind of cold, bleak, windswept, showery day that, alas, is all too common during the Irish cricket season. :(

ProsandCons

Indeed a day to be welcomed in Irish Sport..........unfortunately our climate isn't the best for hosting test cricket over 5 days.

Went to Clontarf in 1999 to watch West Indies beat Bangladesh in the one day World Cup. A mismatch, but still a great day out.

No greater viewing than watch India and Pakistan go head to head in a one day or 20/20 match ! I remember the day the Indian fans threw the snakes onto the pitch at the Pakistani outfielder on the boundary.....flares and pigs heads my arse !!!!!

And a sport that was dying on its feet 20 years ago has had the balls to re-invent itself for the tv and the masses............

Niall996

What flags or anthems do they use at international cricket games?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies