• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Are you happy with a 20% increase in junior minister positions?

ger12

There were 20 in the good old days of Bertie in 2007. Ah yes, them days.

By 2009 it was 15, as the recession hit. Yesterday we saw the second highest number of junior minister appointed by a Taoiseach in this country. 18 boys and girls happily smiling. I can only imagine what Lord Shane Ross would be screaming if he were on the opposition benches.

All joking aside, are you happy to see a 20% in junior minister positions and do you believe we are in a position to afford this increase?

Each junior minister is entitled to an extra €34,000 per year, on top of a TD's yearly salary of €87,000, along with additional staff and the right to hire two civilian drivers to drive the appointee's own car.

Revealed: Who's who among the 15 new junior ministers of the 32nd Dail - Independent.ie

Watcher2

By 2009 it was 15, as the recession hit. Yesterday we saw the second highest number of junior minister appointed by a Taoiseach in this country. 18 boys and girls happily smiling. I can only imagine what Lord Shane Ross would be screaming if he were on the opposition benches.

All joking aside, are you happy to see a 20% in junior minister positions and do you believe we are in a position to afford this increase?

Each junior minister is entitled to an extra €34,000 per year, on top of a TD's yearly salary of €87,000, along with additional staff and the right to hire two civilian drivers to drive the appointee's own car.

Revealed: Who's who among the 15 new junior ministers of the 32nd Dail - Independent.ie
Complete and utter bolloxology by the king scheister himself, Enda fvcking Kenny. In 2011 he promised to reduce junior ministries by 3 from 15 to 12. Low and behold, no sooner was he in the chair but he dished out the goodies. One of his very first promises to be broken. We see now, he has increased the number AGAIN by three to 18.

NYCKY

In the grand scheme of things, the extra expense is not that much if the workload justifies the extra Ministers.

cricket

In the grand scheme of things, the extra expense is not that much if the workload justifies the extra Ministers.
But that's the point.Stories abound of junior ministers struggling to find something to do, going back 20 years and covering many governments.I think Mary Harney made reference to it publicly at one stage.
Kenny simply couldn't resist giving out as many lucky bags to the boys and girls as possible.

freewillie

And they say SF is a cult

realistic1

They will always find ways to spend our taxes and this is another example of waste.

Betson

But everyone knows is is only a charade , they have no real extra powers , they are basically TD's with higher pay. As discussed last night on the VB show just pure pork barrel politics so as they can point to a region/constituency and say they now have a minister in this Government.

Jack O Neill

But everyone knows is is only a charade , they have no real extra powers , they are basically TD's with higher pay. As discussed last night on the VB show just pure pork barrel politics so as they can point to a region/constituency and say they now have a minister in this Government.
€87,258 +€34,381* , Yep , good value

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Like was said on Late Debate last nite....

What are the going to do.

What's their plan.

What is the critical path for their project.

is there one.

Will we ever know.

Who is accountable if they fail.

Will they still just get paid.

...Who mentioned new politics and a score for....ah jeez forget it.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
...should it not now be updated to Kobe politics.

Devil Eire

The deal is this - FG get about six months, and no more than a year, to shovel out the goodies by the bucketload, as quick and as blatant as you like, because FF then pull down the government, and Mickey Martin becomes Taoiseach.

Enda Kenny gets his trophy, FG get the goodies, and Martin duly becomes the 'rightful' FF Taoiseach. Everyone is happy, no losers.

And we pay for it all, as usual.

Analyzer

The idea behind so many half ministers is to prevent anybody pulling the plug from Taoiseach Kennylite.

Running the country efficiently is the last thing on EK's mind.

If in doubt on this point, review the Siteserf debacle.

eoghanacht

Stroke politics.

Boy M5

No shows how pathetic our political system is.
I don't want a local TD as Minister.
I want competent ministers who are leaders.

Also why do the "goodies" get allocated according to which counties have ministers?
it's pathetic & to me it is corrupt.

New politics my eye.
History will judge Kenny badly. Very badly.

Analyzer

EK is behaving like he knows he will be the last FG Taoiseach.

ne0ica

Fine Gael seem to want to out Fianna Fail Fianna Fail.

loner

Be interesting to see questions in the Dail to the Minister for Health and all 5 of them lined up to answer them

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies