Are you on the Electoral Register?

anewbeginning

With a General Election imminent, it's important that everyone checks they are on the Electoral Register.

I am not sure what the closing date before an election is to have yourself added, I think it's 30 days.

But it's amazing how many people turn up on the day of a General Election to find they aren't on the register.

Another thing, students who are in third level might want to consider transferring their vote to an area which is close to their third level institution, because we all know Fianna Fail will pull their old cynical trick of having an election mid week, to purposefully disinfranchaise as many students and young people as possible.

To get around this, all third level students should transfer their vote to where they go to college.

While a summer election is possible, students are in college 9 months of the year, making an election while they are in college much more likely.

Check The Register

new politics

I dont think that a new government will do any better to be honest.

But the current lot must go regardless and be thrown off highest cliffs in the land.

What we need after the election is the formation of new politics, spearheaded by two new parties.

1.right wing conservatives
2.Left wing democrates

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
I dont think that a new government will do any better to be honest.

But the current lot must go regardless and be thrown off highest cliffs in the land.
In order to get them out of government people who don't vote are going to have to start voting!
Otherwise there is still quite a good chance of very clever politicians getting back in.

What we need after the election is the formation of new politics, spearheaded by two new parties.

1.right wing conservatives
2.Left wing democrates
I think we should make it so that political parties can't kick anyone out based on how they vote.

That way our politicians will become more accountable directly to the people who elect them.

-----

Also are you registered to vote in the area in which you live?

I'm not registered where I live, I need to sort that out. I'm still registered at home.

Last edited:

new politics

Im registered and ill probably vote FGeal only to ensure that the current bunch get humiliated.

We should have a contract with any new government.

They should be held accountable for every promise that they make.

If they fail in any then the people should have a mid term election to ensure that they dont fail.

also, the dail should be reconfigured and reading from notes like in school shoud be banned.

why cant politicians stand up in the dail and speak from the heart and not from some prepared crap and b******t!

Also the house should be at a minimun 80% capacity always.

Sometimes there are only a handful of people their??????

BabyonCocaine

Is this a party political broadcast what changes will any of our political heavyweights make?There are no jobs,and Fine Gael certainly wont create any they are on the board of a parasitic semi state agency like fas jobs scam.. jobfit,who are not obliged to employ you the free worker,it is yet another no tax return jobs for free plan,that only benefits big business..These organisations take jobs from the community and give nothing back..

commonman

i can tell u that there is thousands of young not on the register and dont care

foreignfield80

Christ on a bike, just checked it there, have never missed an election since I became eligible and some effin git has had me removed from the register in my area....

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
Christ on a bike, just checked it there, have never missed an election since I became eligible and some effin git has had me removed from the register in my area....
That's kinda scary! I'd ring up your local TD and ask them if they know why such a thing would happen!

anewbeginning

Young people under the age of 25 are generally apathetic about politics and don't believe voting will make a difference as politicians don't seem to listen to young people.

They need to start breaking that cycle though and forcing politicians to listen.

Parents also need to be proactive in ensuring their over 18 children are on the register.

The only way you can change the system is by voting. Even one vote can cancel out the vote of an idiot who might live down the street and that alone would be worth it.

controller

.........it's probably FF going through a list of all members of this site, and eliminating the undesirables ;)

RahenyFG

The amount of my friends not on the electorate register, through not being asked about being put on the voting register but mainly the fact they simply aren't bothered voting. Shame really especially when less voters generally results in Fianna Fail getting re-elected like the last election when 1 million didn't vote, how that 1 million could affected the result of the election.

spidermom

Listened to Rachel English today. She had one of the local journos on who said that only 40% voter turnout was likely in DSW.
Awful shame!

RahenyFG

The funny thins is, the current government aren't going to make an attempt to have campaigns promoting voting. The less people vote, the better chance Fianna Fail and the Green Party have of not doing as bad as they should

new politics

This is why its time for new politics.

To make politics interesting to the young vote, who are quite large, the business of politics must be broadcast live or online and have more debates, weekly or monthly.

Also, we should have referendums monthly so that each law that will have a direct effect on us can be voted on by us.
Also we can vote on the pay of Judges and top civil servants ect...

Party politics like we have now are doomed.

Take Cowen for example; All those cronies who support him get top jobs.
Not because they are qualified or anything, just because they tow the line.
After all thats how Cowen got the job from Bertie.

There should be NO PARTY LEADER except in the DAIL.

EVERY politician shouldanswer to the values that got them elected, ie. if i got elected in Cork because of my fiscal conservative views and opposition to government quangos, then that is my mandate for my term.
Not what my party leader says!!
That is how politics is failing the people.

Why bother voting someone in if all there going to do is play follow the leader???

New Threads

Most Replies