Are you on the the Seanad Register? The deadline is Feb 26

Mercurial

Just a heads up to those of you who may be entitled to vote in the Seanad elections but who may not be registered to do so that the deadline for registering to vote is fast approaching (February 26th).

Registration itself is a pretty straightforward process (though predictably not quite as simple as it could be).

You can find more information here, including the form that needs to be printed, signed, and posted (or emailed):

The Seanad Register | National University of Ireland

What is the Seanad Register?

The Seanad Éireann Register published on 1st June each year is a list of the names, addresses and qualifications of NUI graduates who may vote in Seanad Éireann elections (NUI constituency). The Seanad Register may be used only for electoral purposes. There is an Edited Seanad Éireann Register which may be used for commercial purposes. Both registers are available for purchase.
Who is on the Register?

NUI graduates, other than honorary graduates, who are citizens of Ireland and who have claimed to be registered as voters. The right to vote is not automatic; it must be claimed. Claims must be received at the NUI Office by 26th February in any given year.
How do I claim to be registered?

Graduates must complete, sign and return to National University of Ireland a Registration Claim Form.

Note: There is currently no provision in the Seanad Electoral (University Members) Acts, 1937-2015, for online registration or for the use of electronic signatures. For this reason there is no facility for online registration.

The downloadable version of the Registration Claim Form (below) may be completed on screen using your computer the claimant should then print and sign the form. The form can then be scanned and attached to an email and sent to records@nui.ie or posted to Records Office, National University of Ireland, 49 Merrion Square, Dublin 2.

D

Deleted member 17573

Just a heads up to those of you who may be entitled to vote in the Seanad elections but who may not be registered to do so that the deadline for registering to vote is fast approaching (February 26th).

Registration itself is a pretty straightforward process (though predictably not quite as simple as it could be).

You can find more information here, including the form that needs to be printed, signed, and posted (or emailed):

The Seanad Register | National University of Ireland
I am somewhat surprised that you would encourage us to vote in such a discriminatory, elitist election.

D

Deleted member 17573

Why not try to minimise the damage they can do?
They actually have very little power to do very much one way or the other. The Seanad needs to be democratized and participating in the present charade will not achieve that.

Lúidín

To vote in the rotten-borough that is the Seanad is demeaning to those of us who value democracy. It is even less representative than one of those Fine Gael 'citizen's' groups.

Mercurial

They actually have very little power to do very much one way or the other. The Seanad needs to be democratized and participating in the present charade will not achieve that.
I don't see how failing to participate in an institution will help to change it.

But if that's how you feel, you don't have to register.

Sister Mercedes

Michael McDowell, Higgins daughter and Ronan Mullen.

The NUI Seanad delegation is even worse than the Tipperary Dail one.

Bill

entitled to vote , not registered, not taking any of the blame for that sh1t house

enuffisenuff

that would be worse than being on the sex offenders register

Lúidín

I don't see how failing to participate in an institution will help to change it.
That's why I joined the Nazi party - "to change it from within".

I won't ever vote in such an election. It's profoundly undemocratic.

D

Deleted member 17573

This is not about me - it is about your effectively advertising for this exercise in elitism.

sadcitizen

We stay registered if we once were, right? You'd just have to re-register in case of an address change?

im axeled

as i just got as far a 6th class i am not entitled to vote, its an ill wind that does not blow some good

Mercurial

I won't ever vote in such an election. It's profoundly undemocratic.
So why allow it to be even more undemocratic by not participating?

Find a candidate in favour of reform or even abolition and vote for them.

Deadlock

So why allow it to be even more undemocratic by not participating?

Find a candidate in favour of reform or even abolition and vote for them.
It is not directly democratic, but it is also part of our system.

I am in favour of Seanad reform, or abolition, but not abolition under the current Bunreacht. There are already so very few parliamentary checks and balances in our current Bunreacht. To check the Dail in some measure, either a Reformed Seanad with a new electoral system, or a new Bunreacht and a unicameral parliament is required.

Mercurial

It is not directly democratic, but it is also part of our system.

I am in favour of Seanad reform, or abolition, but not abolition under the current Bunreacht. There are already so very few parliamentary checks and balances in our current Bunreacht. To check the Dail in some measure, either a Reformed Seanad with a new electoral system, or a new Bunreacht and a unicameral parliament is required.
That was why I voted to retain the Seanad, but it seems clear that no substantial reform is on the horizon.

New Threads