Argentinian Sub San Juan missing for 2 days now - lets hope they are OK

Catalpast

Ominous news from South America as Argentinian sub ARA San Juan now missing at sea for 2 days

Lets hope its just a technical hitch and the boat and crew return safely

Pray for them

An Argentinian military submarine with 44 crew members on board has gone missing at sea.
Ships and aircraft have been scrambled to search for the vessel - named ARA San Juan - in the southern Argentine Sea.

It has been two days since it provided its last location and navy spokesman Enrique Balbi said it may be suffering from a communications error.

https://news.sky.com/story/argentinian-military-submarine-ara-san-juan-missing-at-sea-for-two-days-11130303

Eire1976

Cue west Brits going on about the Falklands war.

Last edited:

Vega1447

sparky42

This doesnt sound good at all.
Given the scale of the issues within their Navy (ships sinking in port, the fleet getting only a few weeks of sea operations, weapons out of operational lifespan), this sub's refit took a very long time, I'd be worried that something has gone wrong.

wombat

Looks like a post WWII design, any idea of age?

sparky42

Looks like a post WWII design, any idea of age?
No she's not that old, she's a 1980's hull (the TR 1700), but I think she was opened up in Dry Dock for the majority of a decade due to budget issues. Built and entered service in '85.

Vega1447

So they shouldn't offer help? Just like the NATO forces offered help for Kursk.
The Brits could have offered privately - to do so publicly is an attempt to humiliate Argentina.

sparky42

The Brits could have offered privately - to do so publicly is an attempt to humiliate Argentina.
Are you serious? Generally speaking whenever there's a sub loss everyone offers whatever they can as quickly and openly as possible. When Kursk was lost (or when the Russian's admitted it) the NATO force openly and immediately offered hulls to help.

Not everything is a British plot you know.

wombat

No she's not that old, she's a 1980's hull (the TR 1700), but I think she was opened up in Dry Dock for the majority of a decade due to budget issues. Built and entered service in '85.
Apparently, they have to be completely gutted and rebuilt every few years, the hull should be ok but the internals get rebuilt, incredibly complex machines from what I saw.

Catalpast

Given the scale of the issues within their Navy (ships sinking in port, the fleet getting only a few weeks of sea operations, weapons out of operational lifespan), this sub's refit took a very long time, I'd be worried that something has gone wrong.
If their radio coms are down then it would be surprising if they didn't surface to indicate that were all right

- there was no SOS

- so if it could be catastrophic

sparky42

Apparently, they have to be completely gutted and rebuilt every few years, the hull should be ok but the internals get rebuilt, incredibly complex machines from what I saw.
Not really, I think this one was something that they were floating fitting an AIP system into it, but that fell through and she was left opened up for years. Sub hulls have a maximum lifespan due to the compression/decompression cycles that it goes through in operations. And yes there's the equipment replacement as well.

sparky42

If their radio coms are down then it would be surprising if they didn't surface to indicate that were all right

- there was no SOS

- so if it could be catastrophic
Well if their comms have failed totally then she could be floating on the service right now, remember the modern designs a slow enough on the surface, but yes it doesn't look good. I think we all hope it isn't but it doesn't look good.

wombat

Apparently it went for a refit in 2008 to extend its service life.

wombat

Well if their comms have failed totally then she could be floating on the service right now, remember the modern designs a slow enough on the surface, but yes it doesn't look good. I think we all hope it isn't but it doesn't look good.
Report said they had a fire which damaged comms but a fire is bad news, remember the Canadian sailor who died in Sligo a few years ago?

More alarming is the potential for complete loss of communication. UK subs have standing orders to assume the destruction of their home base in the absence of any received communication and are ordered to act on their own authority in launching their nuclear payload.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies