• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Arguments for and against the view that Martin McGuinness is a British spy

Portstewart

Much speculation on this one, there are quite compelling arguments for that are well documented now.

Brief summary here by Liam Clarke:

McGuinness in new spy claims
Martin McGuinness denies spying for MI6. So how has he survived when those around him have been shot or jailed, asks Liam Clarke

RAYMOND GILMOUR, the supergrass who infiltrated the IRA in the early 1980s, used to wake up screaming following nightmares that Martin McGuinness was about to shoot him. But now he suspects his life was protected by his former IRA commander and that McGuinness, like him, was a British agent.

Liam Clarke on Martin Ingram and Martin McGuinness

More from FAIR:

10 FACTS about the "charmed existence" enjoyed by Martin McGuinness. There are several reasons for suspicion falling on Martin McGuinness for he survived when those around him have been shot or jailed. Derry IRA informants coughed up more secrets, leading to more arms finds, than any other part of the IRA.

1. The first and biggest find of arms imported from Libya in the mid 1980s - 100 AK47 and five medium machineguns were found at Five Fingers Strand in north Donegal, and the information came via an RUC informant in Derry.

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/maps/historical/repub_activity.gif

That's the case for, I'd be interested to hear some arguments for the case against, surely alot or at least some of this stuff can be explained away?

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Ned

You think that's why the RUC were so eager not to investigate Claudy?

Passionateheart

Before they went into bed with The Shinners, the DUP were very prominent in spreading it about. If it were true, you would think they would be more than happy to cohabitate with such a 'hero'.
I think it's fairly well established that the Brits had at least 1 tout higher than Stakeknife and Donaldson, whoever that may be?
By the way not meant as a sectarian point at all but a socio cultural question Was the aforementioned Mr. Donaldson a member of the majority community?

kerdasi amaq

I've come to believe that the IRA were practically a division of the British Security services.

Scipio

He could have been a spy, or the British may well have figured that it was better to have a relative moderate like him high up than some of the other hardliners who were around at the time hence his relatively "charmed" existence.

picador

The thread title is totally misleading as you have only copied and pasted the arguments in favour of him being a spy.

Also what is NEW in this. You are just rehashing old stuff.

Ifor Bach

Website
golang.pl
The thread title is totally misleading as you have only copied and pasted the arguments in favour of him being a spy.

Misleading thread titles.

Rehashing 'old stuff'.

Pemind you of anyone close to home, pic?

Portstewart

And I'm asking what the arguments are to refute it, do you have any?

Does this discussion make you uncomfortable pic?

Oldira1

Same thing was said about Michael Collins,Tom Barry,Tomas MacCurtain.

I would take more credence in Pastor Jones views on Islam than Liam Clarkes opinions on the North.

Passionateheart

A Republican supporting friend of mine sometime ago dismissed this suggestion, by stating that McGuinness was prominent in negotiating the arms shipment with Libya and some obviously got through. There is no way the Brits would have allowed any of it to get to the Jaffa Statelette, if they could at all have prevented it!
Well that was his thoughts on the matter!

anewbeginning

Portstewart, maybe it's you whose the MI6 spy? And you are trying to spread the blame on others.

It's quite easy to make an accusation and to speculate, and join the dots, etc etc.

There is however a world of difference between speculation and proof.

Speculation is what The Sun do about pop stars personal lives. Rarely if ever is there a shred of truth to such speculation.

Portstewart

He could have been a spy, or the British may well have figured that it was better to have a relative moderate like him high up than some of the other hardliners who were around at the time hence his relatively "charmed" existence.
True but that wouldn't explain many of the other things, the toleration of informers, lack of activity in relation to other areas, Libyan weapon finds, etc.

Abaddon

I always felt Tony Blair was a republican spy. Sure didn't he convert to catholicism after he stepped down as PM.

anewbeginning

I think this thread should be locked/deleted.

Accusing someone in public of being a spy, without proof is frankly slanderous and libelous.

anewbeginning

No proof has ever been offered to support this.

It's time to let the past in NI rest in my view, unless you want the gunmen to take up arms again.

picador

And I'm asking what the arguments are to refute it, do you have any?

Does this discussion make you uncomfortable pic?
If he was it wouldn't come out until long after he is gone.

As far as I see it he is working towards a united Ireland via democratic methods which is a much better idea than trying (and failing) to achieve it through blowing people up.