Arise Galway East..

GalwayEast

I'm just putting the question out there as to how people think our 4 TD's have performed thus far considering it is just after 100 days since they have been elected/re-elected.

Are you pleased/displeased with them?
Have you heard or seen much from them?
And how do you rate how they have done individually?

We've seen Ciaran Cannon getting all the coverage for employing his wife/family members- Cronyism and nepotism is how it was described in the editorial of a local newspaper. Colm Keaveney is supposedly at loggerheads with party leadership, which presumably is about inexperienced Derek Nolan getting on the public accounts committee, all quiet with Micheal Kitt (apart from wanting local guys working as part of the curtailed insulation schemes) and Paul Connaughton quietly beavering away. So all doing nicely it appears.

Do you have an insight/opinion yourself? You seem like an active person on these forums, so would appreciate any enlightenment from your good self.

Last edited:

zealots

We've seen Ciaran Cannon getting all the coverage for employing his wife/family members- Cronyism and nepotism is how it was described in the editorial of a local newspaper. Colm Keaveney is supposedly at loggerheads with party leadership, which presumably is about inexperienced Derek Nolan getting on the public accounts committee, all quiet with Micheal Kitt (apart from wanting local guys working as part of the curtailed insulation schemes) and Paul Connaughton quietly beavering away. So all doing nicely it appears.

Do you have an insight/opinion yourself? You seem like an active person on these forums, so would appreciate any enlightenment from your good self.

Yes I do indeed.

Ciaran Cannon- To be quite honest I haven't seen or heard too much about Deputy Cannon thus far, that is of course apart from the accusations of nepotism and cronyism with regards to hiring his wife. I haven't really seen or heard much of him on an actual political basis which I consider to be unfortunate.

Paul Connaughton- Ridiculously quiet thus far, but then again no surprise there. To be honest I expect him to be like that for the entire duration of his political career. A bit like his father really. He hasn't even one statement or press release on his Fine Gael page. It seems he'll be happy out to sit around quietly in Dublin and then come home to Galway East where the 'Parish Pump Politics' begins. Same old politics as far as I'm concerned.

Michael Kitt- Happy enough that he's promoting local work but nothing major. Can't say I'm expecting much from him really but then again he is in Fianna Fáil.

Colm Keaveney-Colm Keaveney has stated that there is a slight tension between himself and Eamon Gilmore, but that has nothing to do with Derek Nolan. It's to do with the JLC's and his open opposition to Minister Bruton's proposed reform of pay rates for workers in the hospitality sector and other low-paid sectors. I say fair play to him for showing that he can put his constituents before his party and stand up for low-paid workers. Showing that he can stand on his own two feet really. He's made about 6 or 7 speeches in the Dáil so far and each one had been inpressive. He's shown much more integrity and capability than many of his fellow government back-benchers.

There's my views summed up quite shortly, not sure if others would agree but each to their own. Only TD that has impressed me is Colm Keaveney thus far but hopefully the others follow suit.

GalwayEast

Yes I do indeed.

Ciaran Cannon- To be quite honest I haven't seen or heard too much about Deputy Cannon thus far, that is of course apart from the accusations of nepotism and cronyism with regards to hiring his wife. I haven't really seen or heard much of him on an actual political basis which I consider to be unfortunate.

Paul Connaughton- Ridiculously quiet thus far, but then again no surprise there. To be honest I expect him to be like that for the entire duration of his political career. A bit like his father really. He hasn't even one statement or press release on his Fine Gael page. It seems he'll be happy out to sit around quietly in Dublin and then come home to Galway East where the 'Parish Pump Politics' begins. Same old politics as far as I'm concerned.

Michael Kitt- Happy enough that he's promoting local work but nothing major. Can't say I'm expecting much from him really but then again he is in Fianna Fáil.

Colm Keaveney-Colm Keaveney has stated that there is a slight tension between himself and Eamon Gilmore, but that has nothing to do with Derek Nolan. It's to do with the JLC's and his open opposition to Minister Bruton's proposed reform of pay rates for workers in the hospitality sector and other low-paid sectors. I say fair play to him for showing that he can put his constituents before his party and stand up for low-paid workers. Showing that he can stand on his own two feet really. He's made about 6 or 7 speeches in the Dáil so far and each one had been inpressive. He's shown much more integrity and capability than many of his fellow government back-benchers.

There's my views summed up quite shortly, not sure if others would agree but each to their own. Only TD that has impressed me is Colm Keaveney thus far but hopefully the others follow suit.
Interesting! With regard to Colm Keaveney, perhaps you are being too kind, it is all very well to say one is standing up for low paid workers. Let us explore this a little bit. Let's say a worker is employed in a small unprofitable restaurant, is the worker protected if the restaurant closes its doors completely as a result of being unable to pay double time etc? Or let's consider a hotel competing for tourists, let's say labour makes up 32% of overall room cost, would the double time rule causing 16% cost difference in room rate mean that the ROI hotel loses out to international competition? Thus a zero by double rate meaning no pay instead of protected pay. You mention capability, lets hear some views on Connacht Tribune front page saying council staff do not have funds for materials to do their work, but will have enough to pay themselves. What next, RTE have enough cash to pay 3/4 million euro to Pat Kenny but not enough to broadcast programmes? Let Colm Keaveney focus on a ministry to which he has a direct line, namely public sector reform. He may even have particular insights on how not to run a public service and on how obstructive trade unions can really damage the service being delivered to the public.

Last edited:

GalwayEast

Yes I do indeed.

Ciaran Cannon got a mention in Advertiser today, he together with Brian Walsh, Fidelma Healy Eames, Derek Nolan and Sean Kyne got an extra 14 staff nurses for the hospital in Galway today. That is 14 nurses achieved by 5 people, or if you like, 2.8 jobs each. When added to to the family members employed, that is a total of 4.8 jobs Ciaran Cannon has created already.

retailx

Cannon

To be fair (I am a supporter) to Ciaran Cannon he has been working diligently on both a national and local level. Accusations regarding employing his wife are the only "news" he made prior to yesterday/today when he delivered an honest assessment of cuts in school transport that look tough in isolation but in the context of "our financial problems" are necessary.

If you check his facebook page you will also note some plain speaking with regard to local election promises; ref Kinvara sewerage.

If anyone has reasonable (rants look elsewhere) issues for East Galway, or indeed the country, I suggest you make direct contact with him. He is available, open and one of the few politicians that will answer a question head on...which may be politically naive but is the mark of the man.

GalwayEast

To be fair (I am a supporter) to Ciaran Cannon he has been working diligently on both a national and local level. Accusations regarding employing his wife are the only "news" he made prior to yesterday/today when he delivered an honest assessment of cuts in school transport that look tough in isolation but in the context of "our financial problems" are necessary.

If you check his facebook page you will also note some plain speaking with regard to local election promises; ref Kinvara sewerage.

If anyone has reasonable (rants look elsewhere) issues for East Galway, or indeed the country, I suggest you make direct contact with him. He is available, open and one of the few politicians that will answer a question head on...which may be politically naive but is the mark of the man.
According to Galway advertiser TD's now get a package worth over 1m. This is a very high figure and one wonders if it is justified.

MacBeth

Banned
Interesting! With regard to Colm Keaveney, perhaps you are being too kind, it is all very well to say one is standing up for low paid workers. Let us explore this a little bit. Let's say a worker is employed in a small unprofitable restaurant, is the worker protected if the restaurant closes its doors completely as a result of being unable to pay double time etc? Or let's consider a hotel competing for tourists, let's say labour makes up 32% of overall room cost, would the double time rule causing 16% cost difference in room rate mean that the ROI hotel loses out to international competition? Thus a zero by double rate meaning no pay instead of protected pay. You mention capability, lets hear some views on Connacht Tribune front page saying council staff do not have funds for materials to do their work, but will have enough to pay themselves. What next, RTE have enough cash to pay 3/4 million euro to Pat Kenny but not enough to broadcast programmes? Let Colm Keaveney focus on a ministry to which he has a direct line, namely public sector reform. He may even have particular insights on how not to run a public service and on how obstructive trade unions can really damage the service being delivered to the public.
Can you give one practical example of this scenario?

meriwether

Question for my fellow Galway East brethern.

Does anyone know how many homes Colm Keaveney owns?

Is it more or less than 1?

jenniferstinkrotten

Website
en.wikipedia.org
There could be something interesting happening here over the next week of so... In terms of local politics... Just putting it out there... I heard something...

Boy M5

Question for my fellow Galway East brethern.

Does anyone know how many homes Colm Keaveney owns?

Is it more or less than 1?
I was happily unaware of Mr Keaveney until tonight. Then I turned my radio on and my mood deteriorated.

He was on Late Debate seemingly reading, in to my, perhaps untutored ear, in a stilted manner, alternatively between Labour Party press releases and a thesaurus.
To me, he sounded like he had nearly as much of a credibility by pass as Enda Kenny. He can read words but are they coming from his informed intellect, or what he is told? Does he understand economics?

My main takeaway from this young fella's performance was that in true Stalinist / Stickie style that the Labour party seemingly cares about published numbers / optics. not about economic reality. Maybe he should watch Man of Marble or Man of Steel?

Is Former Comrade Gilmore of the Galway Republican Clubs (or whatever, I'm sure entirely legitimate, organisation he told Finucane he joined) happily telling us about potential investments from selling the family silver for what in reality amount to what appears to some of us the poor relation toJack's bag of magic beans.

So is the game Baldy Noonan and Young Vlad get excited about privatisation, That former Comrade Gilmore (to the Sound of: the North Korean People's chorus / the T34 waltz / the song of the heroic lettuce canner / the Special Branch bugging UCG), tries to reinvest certain procceeds (over an extended time period) but in reality the cash proceeds are used, smoke & mirror like, to deflate our credit metrics?

I.e. We sell important assets cheap and plant the proceeds with the über talented Richie Boucher and chums?

Meanwhile some young fellas in blue shirts try to provide oxygen to Enda Kenny's brain.

turdsl

Connaugh Tribune, informs us this week that there could be big trouble in East Galway and Roscommon new constituencies for Fine Gael next election,
Out of 4 seats at present they could just end up with one, The former boss of the PDs Mr Cannon.

What a change. No Connaughton at last, The big winner this time is Denis Naughton, that is provided he stays Independent
It will be a fight between himself and Ming to head the poll.

Fianna Fail stand a good chance of regaining a seat here,provided they only run one candidate.

If this government were to last the full term Sinn Fein could be in with a chance here, The election may come too soon for them,

Frank Feighan does not appear to be popular any more.

cogar

Turdsi: on a point of information: this will be a new constituency with how many seats? You say "at present" and then you talk about the "future" constituency. Can you clarify?

turdsl

Turdsi: on a point of information: this will be a new constituency with how many seats? You say "at present" and then you talk about the "future" constituency. Can you clarify?
The changes mean that Galway East is going from a four seater to a three.

The new constituency will be the Galway -Roscommon constituency.

it will still have three seats,

The main change is that an area from clontuskert outside Ballinasloe down to Dunmore.
is going in with Roscommon. Ballinasloe will no longer be in east Galway

The opinion is that this area is a big loss to Connaughton

and a help to Naughton who is originally from Drum
just a few miles on the Eastern side of Ballinasloe.

Last edited:

cogar

The new one will have 3 seats and the old one had 4. So instead of have 2 out of 4 FG will have 1 out of 3. That's the prediction. And the size of the Dail is reduced. Wow! Earth shattering - end of life as we know it! Not the end of the world for FG - I think you would agree! That's the way it goes when constituencies are changed and the size of the Dail is reduced! Fg in the national opinion polls has hardly changed since the GE.

turdsl

I accept opinion polls have not changed, still they could be down one in Galway East

They will find it hard to get someone to stand in Roscommon never mind win a seat.

neveragain

I accept opinion polls have not changed, still they could be down one in Galway East

They will find it hard to get someone to stand in Roscommon never mind win a seat.
I do hope Frank stands again in the next election, I have a few questions for him that he needs to answer. :roll:

meriwether

You heard it here first lads.

FG will find it difficult to 'get someone to stand' in Roscommon.

What did you hear first here, lads?

Utter half-baked bullsh1t is what you heard.

Plebian

Great predicting from a long way out.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Saw where Mark Killilea died this afternoon. An influential man in his day, on both sides of the Galway boundary.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.