Arlene Foster congratulates Varadkar who will be first gay Irish premier

McSlaggart

GDPR

Varadkhar is a euroskeptic which is the one good thing about him.

michael-mcivor

Varadkar is a dissident opposed to the good Friday agreement- he opposes a 50 percent + one border poll result and instead wants a majority of Protestants to vote yes to a United Ireland before it is approved- any wonder Arlene thinks the sun shines out of Varadkar's hole-

blinding

Varadkar is a dissident opposed to the good Friday agreement- he opposes a 50 percent + one border poll result and instead wants a majority of Protestants to vote yes to a United Ireland before it is approved- any wonder Arlene thinks the sun shines out of Varadkar's hole-
I am not too sure if Arlene would approve of everything to do with Leo's hole.....

McSlaggart

Let the poor man alone he is entitled to his views (no matter how daft). The thing with Varadkar is that his proposals will be very hard for Arline to object as they will be based purely on the logic of the situation in which we live on the Island.

ger12

fat finger

Irish politics both North and South are controlled by a hidden gay cabal - how else do you explain the election of a man who ticks the wrong box?

hollandia

Irish politics both North and South are controlled by a hidden gay cabal - how else do you explain the election of a man who ticks the wrong box?
Ah, the gaystapo. I was wondering how long it would take.

cricket

Keep the catholic church out of this now.

Ireniall

Factually incorrect-try and get the basics right eh?

Ireniall

"Mrs Foster was among the first to congratulate him on the news which had made international headline, with a phone call which Mr Varadkar described during his first press conference as leader as "kind"."

Arlene Foster congratulates Varadkar who will be first gay Irish premier - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

I think that Varadkar will be an ideal person to help the DUP deal with the practicalities/reality of the UK leaving the EU.
Well if the art of diplomacy is the provision of 'ladders by which others can climb down' he will need a particularly well camouflaged one for the bould Arlene given the truly glorious royal mess that the Dupes have found themselves in with Brexit. I'm sure Arlene will be helpful in quietly suggesting a colour scheme by which it might be made as invisible as possible to as many as possible but even so I have serious doubts whether Leo can be of much help. To my mind his vision of a united Ireland being mentioned in his campaign has laid down something of a marker from which he might not want to retreat. Interesting times.

hollandia

Factually incorrect-try and get the basics right eh?
It's not factually incorrect. He's on record saying that fifty percent plus one won't be good enough. That is against the letter of the good Friday agreement.

As is Bertie Ahern, who actually signed the good Friday agreement.

Ireniall

I thought it was de joos-and in the north too-Holy God we're doomed.

Ireniall

It's not factually incorrect. He's on record saying that fifty percent plus one won't be good enough. That is against the letter of the good Friday agreement.
Yes-he does not insist on a majority of Protestants. This might seem like splitting hairs to you but in my mind since a successful Border Poll would be impossible without Protestant support a successful Border Poll is going to fulfil that condition anyway. Furthermore in order to bring about this situation strong concessions to the British side are going to have to be made which will make a united Ireland more palatable to all Unionists including the ones who are not won over to actually voting for it. So my interpretation of what Varadkar is saying is-make the Prods as happy as possible with a UI and you'll have my support.

I am very suspicious of SF trolls attempting to discredit Varadkars mentioning of a united Ireland at such a critical point in his career in a party which would not require him to do so. SF have had the luxury of owning this issue for some time now despite having been one of the greatest obstacles to unity in the past and having left a horrendous legacy of bitterness and hatred. Nevertheless they have changed and can be surprisingly conciliatory in modern times. As the major Nationalist party in the north they have what is for them the particularly distasteful job of bringing some Unionists with them for a UI. If they shirk this responsibility they are truly worthless. Personally Hollandia ,despite our differences and the fact that you are a cranky c*nt, I look to people like you.

ON THE ONE ROAD

Yes-he does not insist on a majority of Protestants. This might seem like splitting hairs to you but in my mind since a successful Border Poll would be impossible without Protestant support a successful Border Poll is going to fulfil that condition anyway. Furthermore in order to bring about this situation strong concessions to the British side are going to have to be made which will make a united Ireland more palatable to all Unionists including the ones who are not won over to actually voting for it. So my interpretation of what Varadkar is saying is-make the Prods as happy as possible with a UI and you'll have my support.

I am very suspicious of SF trolls attempting to discredit Varadkars mentioning of a united Ireland at such a critical point in his career in a party which would not require him to do so. SF have had the luxury of owning this issue for some time now despite having been one of the greatest obstacles to unity in the past and having left a horrendous legacy of bitterness and hatred. Nevertheless they have changed and can be surprisingly conciliatory in modern times. As the major Nationalist party in the north they have what is for them the particularly distasteful job of bringing some Unionists with them for a UI. If they shirk this responsibility they are truly worthless. Personally Hollandia ,despite our differences and the fact that you are a cranky c*nt, I look to people like you.
there is someone making a fortune selling magic beans to you.

Ireniall

there is someone making a fortune selling magic beans to you.
Right so surely then you could be more expansive about where I'm going wrong? I realize that Varadkar might not give two f**ks about a united Ireland and merely thought it was a good ploy to throw it in there but I doubt it. In any case the price that the DUP has paid for their support for Brexit and the de facto repudiation of the GFA as it currently stands, is a much more up front and unapologetic pro united Ireland stance from both FF and FG in the south and boy does the DUP fully merit this. The south has been pussyfooting around those boyos for far too long with little respect in return and at least Varadkar appears to be going to continue with this new approach. His mentioning of the Protestant support represented a step back from an earlier statement which might be the reason for suspicion but in all fairness too who wants a united Ireland to be anything other than a pristine place where all types of Irish people can feel at home. I hope he is sincere.

GDPR

I thought it was de joos-and in the north too-Holy God we're doomed.
The Jews do have massive power in the United States and the unfortunately the USA has a massive influence over all sectors of Irish life, at least as regards both the worlds of high power and that of the mob. They were also the financers of Cromwellian's terrorist regime and the take over of Billy the Pink. That said people who get overly worked up about the Jewish question ignore the tremendous positive contributions of so many Jews in various areas and the fact that they have usually very positive traits for all their negative ones. Natives such as COG and BtB have all the negative typical Jewish traits with none of the positives.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies