• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Arlene Foster says SF voters are switching to DUP over abortion.

james toney

Marcella

Will be interesting to see how Aontú get on in the locals.

death or glory

Will be interesting to see how Aontú get on in the locals.
I foresee the reb equivalent of the TUV.
A one trick pony that may get a few seats but have no major influence.

raetsel

I foresee the reb equivalent of the TUV.
A one trick pony that may get a few seats but have no major influence.
Well, no doubt all three of Arlene's "Shinner defections to the DUP" now have a more palatable alternative at any rate. :ROFLMAO:

Robo

Aontu will be a nibble at the SF fringe with the effect of lowering the SF overall vote, be interesting to see if they gain any traction and seats.

raetsel

Aontu will be a nibble at the SF fringe with the effect of lowering the SF overall vote, be interesting to see if they gain any traction and seats.
Like unionism, the stridently anti-abortion vote will be top heavy with over 60s voters and a diminishing demographic. It will be even more interesting to see where the transfers go.

petaljam

So, as many have predicted, it seems like the social and legal changes down south are proving to be the breach in the NI dam, making it impossible for Westminster to ignore the same issues in "our wee backwater" any longer.

MPs vote to extend abortion and same-sex marriage rights to Northern Ireland

MPs have voted resoundingly to extend both same-sex marriage and access to abortion to Northern Ireland, bringing the region into line with the rest of the UK on two of the most significant social issues of the era.

The Commons voted 383 to 73 to pass the same-sex marriage amendment to a largely technical bill on the stalled Northern Ireland assembly, tabled by the Labour MP Conor McGinn, a longstanding campaigner for equal marriage in Northern Ireland.

In a subsequent vote MPs approved an amendment by another Labour MP, Stella Creasy, to extend abortion rights to Northern Ireland, the only part of the UK where it remains illegal. The vote was passed by 332 to 99.

raetsel

Excellent, the knuckledraggers wont like that ...
I suspect that some of them might want to get it out of the way for once and for all without having to move it themselves so that they don't have to account for it themselves, to their fundamentalist supporters.
The Labour party also have a responsibility to introduce legislation for an Irish Language Act at Westminster which they dodged actioning after getting the St. Andrew's Agreement over the line. Conor McGinn no doubt avoided getting that entangled with the other issues this time for pragmatic reasons, but if we are ever to see an Assembly up and running again, Westminster is going to have to take responsibility for that as well.

raetsel

So, as many have predicted, it seems like the social and legal changes down south are proving to be the breach in the NI dam, making it impossible for Westminster to ignore the same issues in "our week backwater" any longer.
There is a very rich irony in that: despite the Abortion Act having been implemented half a century ago in London, it is the recent Dublin legislation which created the seismic shift.
The "We repudiate foreign interference from Dublin" line is not looking very credible anymore.

USER1234

petaljam

Yes I agree that a number of the usual suspects are probably happy enough leaving the adults to deal with these issues, for all that they may whinge about their roles being usurped.

Much like Irish anti choicers were so relaxed about Irish abortions just as long as they took place a few miles outside the jurisdiction. It's more about declaring their moral superiority than anything else.

raetsel

Yes I agree that a number of the usual suspects are probably happy enough leaving the adults to deal with these issues, for all that they may whinge about their roles being usurped.

Much like Irish anti choicers were so relaxed about Irish abortions just as long as they took place a few miles outside the jurisdiction. It's more about declaring their moral superiority than anything else.
That's the crux of it. I believe that the adoption and election of a lesbian DUP councillor wouldn't have happened without the imprimatur of Arlene Foster and very likely Nigel Dodds as well. They want this stuff out of the way and that was a signal. Meanwhile Nigel will posture angrily in Westminster but he doesn't fool me at any rate.
In that sense the DUP are in many ways the identical twins of the FF party of the 1970s and 80s who posed as the upright upholders of family values, while many within their prominent ranks, given the opportunity would have jumped upon anything in a skirt, and taken financial "sweeteners" as a quid pro quo in order to lobby for the most reprehensible fiends imaginable. Ian Paisley Jnr would have fitted right in, when considering the latter.

AhNowStop

It will still have a negative impact on them though ... how much is yet to be seen

raetsel

It only takes affect if the northern ireland assembly does not reconstitute before october 21st, so for once i hope the talks keeps deadlocked untill then
It won't even take effect after then in all certainty. It would still require legislation to implement the changes.
There is no certainty that once/if? Brexit is out of the way that socially liberal Tories will still want to defy the party whip and vote for this.

Talk Back

It won't even take effect after then in all certainty. It would still require legislation to implement the changes.
There is no certainty that once/if? Brexit is out of the way that socially liberal Tories will still want to defy the party whip and vote for this.
The closer Ireland gets to the the joke centenary of the artificial 6 county abomination, the less likely Stormont will be revived.

I really can't see Sinn Fein going back into Stormont this side of the sham centenary.

The world needs to see what a failure the Unionists make of things.

Poor locationally challenged Unionists trapped in Ireland.

No flag to call their own - no anthem to call their own - no government to call their own - no majority to call their own - and best of all, no country to call their own.

Yeah, good times - let's celebrate!!!

james toney

Excellent, the knuckledraggers wont like that ...
The DUP must now decide who they have more hatred for...Sinn Fein or the Gays.

Gin Soaked

It only takes affect if the northern ireland assembly does not reconstitute before october 21st, so for once i hope the talks keeps deadlocked untill then
The Shinners just got a load of leverage over the Klansmen. They could be gracious, but I'd look for half the assembly sessions being held in Irish.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies