• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Arm the Guards.

roc_

Fix the social problems first.

... Arm the police and increase the power of the police and those on the other side of the law (and society) will respond in kind. I know that if I was an outcast of mainstream society, robbing banks and the like, that is what I would do.

Violence begets violence. Even if that violence is sanctioned by the state and sanctioned by mainstream society, it is still violence that will beget more violence.

I would also include imprisonment and the threat of violence through more equipment and presence, as comprising state sponsored violence (and thus sponsored by you and me). Any increase in it will inevitably propagate violence through all society. Let's try to keep it at an absolute minimum.

Here's an insightful quote from RD Laing to think about with regards to our society and our state and the violence it can exercise: “Love and violence, properly speaking, are polar opposites. Love lets the other be, but with affection and concern. Violence attempts to constrain the other's freedom, to force him to act in the way we desire, but with ultimate lack of concern, with indifference to the other's own existence or destiny... We are effectively destroying ourselves by violence masquerading as love..."

louis bernard

He was a bit crap really wasn't he? He tried to tackle a bloke with a knife with his bare hands, gets his face slashed, and the guy gets away. Brilliant. He didn't even get the reg number of the car.

Now he'll probably get a medal.

In future, the people in that shop should just call for fat man in vest to tackle any robbers: BBC News - Man wrestles gun from assailant outside Manchester pub
Not only will he get a medal he will also get a tidy sum from the Garda Compensation scheme. It’s a lovely little earner.
Gardai get record €10m in payouts as assaults soar - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

The Caped Cod

If he was off duty he wouldn' thave had a gun anyway, andif he is a plain clothes detective I beieve he has the right to carry a small revolver (Garda issue) so this isn't a "why".
In relation to the general idea of arming the Gardai, I wold be against it because I simply do not trust the Gardai. Everytime teh Gardai have beaten someone, abused their power or acted in any other way illegaly the Gardai have habitualy circled the wagons and abstructed investigations, in some cases the have even intimidated witnesses or compainants. Giving them guns would be giving them one more weapon to use against the general public, as the Gardai have shown an aversion to tackling real criminals and preefer instead to go after late opening pubs so the arrest statistic look good at the end of the year. I would not arm the Gardai nor give them any extra power until thee has been an institutional overhaul of the entire force and the crooked clicks and dodgy practices put an end to.
This might sound like taring everyone with the same brush, but the problem is that it is the bad apples who hold sway within the Gardai. Honest Gardai are side tracked in their careers and ostrocised if the don't go with the flow.

FrankSpeaks

I don't think there is any need to arm the ordinary garda on the beat, there is far more crime in the UK and the police are not armed.

The Caped Cod

An interestng suggestion, considering current events. You're either a particularly brave man...or a member of An Garda Siochana.
And with the possible exception of of the man in the link in the OP, ne'er the twain shall meet.

Podolski1.5

What if they go on strike, and bring their weapons home?

dunno

There are armed detectives available, the cost and time of arms training, the cost of weapons cabinets, etc., means that arming Gardai makes limited sense, well no sense. Sadly it might happen in the future, but I hope not.

teapot

I can't believe this condescending,supercilious shlt I've just been reading - none of you jerks even consider that this man, and he is one; tried to do something for society. Didn't get the registration number of the car - you goddam twit. And he'll get a medal. Oh Jesus wept....

reknaw

Are you insane?

I'll never forget what happened in Athy one day in 1990. The Garda had received intelligence that a bank robbery was going to be attempted in the town and were waiting when the bad guys arrived.

One of the robbers (the getaway driver) was shot dead, and in all about eight people - bank employees, three or four Gardai and innocent passers-by - were wounded, one being permanently crippled.:rolleyes:

The Garda disinformation bureau reported initially that they had returned fire and it was repeated thus in the radio news, but this was soon contradicted by local eye-witnesses, one of whom had been buying a video cameras in a shop and went out into the street to try it out just before the mayhem began.

With that video available to the media, the cops had to come clean and tell the truth for a change - I bet that hurt! - and the full story emerged: the person they shot dead had not been armed at all, just sitting in the getaway car and none of the other raiders had fired a single shot.

I was there some time later and saw a County Council worked sweeping up hundreds of spent shells with a yard brush.

You couldn't make it up. And someone wants to give those turkeys more guns!:lol::lol::lol:

Graham

The Garda nose is in a jocker ! I'd say it'll cost a lot more to sort out that than the robber would have got away with, Why would you take on somebody with a knife ?? Mind Boggles ! Unless he was cornered and had No choice he's no hero
When is the McDowell over priced prison to be built ? only way to deal with the vermin in society is to lock them up, 3 strikes like USA and your gone for good, Doing this to the Garda's hooter would count as two strikes :)

sauntersplash

Does anyone have any numbers on the amount of Gardai which are currently armed or are entitled to carry arms?

I remember seeing stats relating to this and being amazed there were so many of them.

TheTipperaryMan

In the United States it necessary for the police to be armed because criminals are armed to the teeth and law abiding joe citizens' are also armed and police officers are routinely killed in the line of duty.
It would be suicide for US police officers not to be armed.

It is different in Ireland.
There is not a gun or knife culture.
Most criminals do not have firearms or practically no criminal is prepared to shot unarmed Gardai.
At the height of the Troubles few armed IRA members would have been prepared to shoot dead unarmed Gardai.

There is simply no reason to arm the Gardai.

DaBrow

+1

The Gards were armed originally during the founding of the state...

I think they should be armed because most criminals these days are armed with knifes and guns, I'm just amazed that no gard has been killed whilst challenging an armed robber.

Drug gangs need to be tackled and fire needs to be fought with fire... As long as Gardai are trained properly in the use and appropriate scenarios of when to draw weapons, I'd support that and they can work in conjuction with the Military Police for training in The Curragh or nearest barracks until they are fully certified in gun control/safety.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies