• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Army shouldering Saints Remains

FrankSpeaks

Yesterday in the Irish Times the was a photo (apologies I cannot find the link) of members of the defences forces shouldering the remains on St. Therese of Lisieux into a church in Wexford.

My question is why are the defence forces involved in this catholic church ceremony and should the army not be seen to be secular?

D

Duth Ealla

Yesterday in the Irish Times the was a photo (apologies I cannot find the link) of members of the defences forces shouldering the remains on St. Therese of Lisieux.

My question is why are the defence forces involved in this catholic church ceremony and should the army not be seen to be secular?
no why should it not be involved. This is country with a overwhelming RC majority and as long as they dont get involved in pushing religion as part of their own agenda then its not a problem.

And I say this as someone who cant stand the church, but even I dont have a problem with the army involved in this.

Edo

Yesterday in the Irish Times the was a photo (apologies I cannot find the link) of members of the defences forces shouldering the remains on St. Therese of Lisieux into a church in Wexford.

Like any good Catholic Bird - she needed protection and a chaperone - you have obviously never been to Wexford - especially on a Saturday night.

Mr Crowley

What would her remains be doing in Wexford? Presumably she was buried in Lisieux some time ago. That carryon is rather creepy imo; let the dead rest.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
While not that widely known, the Army do undertake a number of religious activities, including an annual pilgrimage by the cadets to Lourdes. For the duration of the relics visit to the country, there will be a dedicated military liaison and the Army will be assisting at a number of the locations hosting the remains.

COMMIE

The Army are use to carrying Dead weight, look at Willie O Dea.

Can other church, mosques etc have the army involved.
And if the soldier are involved as individuals, why are thay wearing there uniforms?

Last edited:

onthefence

I wonder do the Church pay for the use of the Army in the same way banks, GAA etc pay for their services?

oscartango

I too think this is weird. What's a dead person doing a lap of honour of Ireland for ? This relics stuff is right out of the dark ages. And it certainly makes it look like a Catholic army for a Catholic people.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Do the army do stuff for the the C.o.I? Other churches?

Oh well I suppose it's better than shooting people.

COMMIE

If it only does it for Catholics/Christian is this not agianst equility legislation?

Effin Effer!!!

I actually carried that relic in uniform at a few locations in Kildare about three years ago. The duties are generally carried out by local units of the Army Reserve (old F.C.A.)

The Defence Forces have always taken part in these types of events. But your asked, do you want to do it, not detailed. Just last year I was part of an honour guard at the altar of a reopening of a local church after a two year refurbishment. It a great excuse to get dressed up in the dress uniforms (unfortunately funerals are all we normally get to wear them to) and grab a few new recruits.

Any organisation can request this sort of service from the Defence Forces, so yes I think it could be done for other religions.

Just a note: The pioneer pin is one of only two civilian emblems permitted by regulations to be worn on dress uniform. (over the centre of the right breast pocket)

COMMIE

And is there any cost incurred Effin Effer by anyone?

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
I actually carried that relic in uniform at a few locations in Kildare about three years ago. The duties are generally carried out by local units of the Army Reserve (old F.C.A.)

The Defence Forces have always taken part in these types of events. But your asked, do you want to do it, not detailed. Just last year I was part of an honour guard at the altar of a reopening of a local church after a two year refurbishment. It a great excuse to get dressed up in the dress uniforms (unfortunately funerals are all we normally get to wear them to) and grab a few new recruits.

Any organisation can request this sort of service from the Defence Forces, so yes I think it could be done for other religions.

Just a note: The pioneer pin is one of only two civilian emblems permitted by regulations to be worn on dress uniform. (over the centre of the right breast pocket)
Is the fáinne the other one?

badboy2

I see the silly season has started early this year.

Shock as army participates in public activity.

oscartango

I'm sure if there was a Protestant, Jewish or Muslim symbol equivalent to the Roman Catholic Pioneer Pin the army would have to permit it.

FrankSpeaks

I see the silly season has started early this year.

Shock as army participates in public activity.
Answer the question, I want to know your opinion on whether the army should be involved in catholic ceremonies and should they be seen to be secular?

Last edited:

COMMIE

I'm sure if there was a Protestant, Jewish or Muslim symbol equivalent to the Roman Catholic Pioneer Pin the army would have to permit it.
Not what were are talking about. lol

Mr Crowley

Firstly there should be no civilian emblems on a military dress uniform, they have no place whatsoever there.
If, as you say, these human remains were here 3 years ago then why are they back again. It's like a bloody Rolling Stones Undead World Tour.
Is this what our descendents have to look forward in 300 years time, the veneration of the little bones of Blessed Bono?
FFS, it's on that level of bizarre.

oscartango

Commie, I was just pointing out that the Defence Forces could not make an exception for a Roman Catholic emblem but not for other religions ... or could they ?

On the question of costs, there must surely be a cost to the taxpayer involved in providing military personnel for such occasions.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies