Arthur Morgan to step down at next election

flavirostris

I heard that the Argus is reporting that Arthur Morgan is not contesting the next election.

Nothing substantive as yet

factual

I heard that the Argus is reporting that Arthur Morgan is not contesting the next election.

Nothing substantive as yet
Arthur Morgan has been a very good representative. Without being partisan I would argue that he has been underrated as a politician.

JoeHickey

That's certainly a bit of a shocker
Not really a shocker - he was supposed to have wanted to stand down last time but was persuaded to stay. I assume he will be going back to the Family business and make a few bob for himself. Fair play to Arthur Morgan an excellent and hard working TD. Had the pleasure of attending a public meeting he attended in Limerick on the Jobs crisis during the summer.

flavirostris

must increase Labour's chances of a seat here?

Tomas Mor

I am sorry to see him go, he turned out to be a good public representative, he was part of the transition to normal democratic politics which everyone hoped for.

Kerrygold

Disappointing news, though not suprising. Arthur has been performing very well for SF over the last while and will be a big loss. Makes things harder but Tomas Sharkey is well positioned I think.

Trans-Siberian

Best of luck to him.A great politician and Louth should be happy he has helped to groom some great political players within SF.

Its not about the man,, its about he party and no one person is bigger than the party.That is one of SF strenghts today and the reason SF will produce some great politicians in the years to come.

Step up to the mark Tomas Sharkey,equally as competant and he will add great value in the Dail.

Im happy to see there is some dignity left in th Irish political system.All the best Arthur!

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Here's the statement by Arthur Morgan ...

Statement from Arthur Morgan TD

9th November 2010.

I wish to make it known that I will not be seeking re-election to Leinster House as a TD for Louth at the next General Election.

I have served two terms now as a Sinn Féin TD for Louth. It has been a great honour to represent the people of this county and it has been a similarly great honour to represent the Sinn Féin party in Louth and Leinster House.

My decision not to seek re-election for a third time is something which would not have been a great secret within the party in Louth or at a National level.

When I took the decision to run for a Dáil seat in Louth I had to step out of the role I had played up to that point in a family business which goes back a very long way in County Louth. I would really like to go back into business.

I am very contented with my decision and the party organisation both nationally and here in Louth have fully accepted it.

I want to thank the Sinn Féin organisation in Louth – the membership, election workers and our excellent team of councillors for the support they have given me over the years. A special thanks to the electorate of County Louth for giving me the honour of representing them.

I will remain active within the party and intend to use the experience I gained as a TD for more than eight years to the benefit of Sinn Féin and the people of County Louth and I will be active and prominent in the campaign to ensure that a Sinn Féin TD is returned for this constituency at the next General Election.

On a personal note I would like to pay special tribute to my wife Marion without whose support and patience I would not be able to carry the important job as a public representative.

Arthur Morgan TD

hiding behind a poster

He's a good guy, no airs and graces about him, but without the obsessive "we're the only people who REALLY care" smugness that some senior Shinners like to give off. I wish him well.

Kerrygold

Best of luck to him and a thank you for his great service. A gentleman and a great character. He is probably one of the most liked TD's in Leinster House across all parties.

ne0ica

Arthur Morgan has been a very good representative. Without being partisan I would argue that he has been underrated as a politician.
Never liked him myself. Never understood why SF gave him such a high profile the last few years. Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin on the other hand is very impressive and should be SF frontman in the south.

New Threads

Most Replies