Arthur Spring and Anglo Irish Bank

Kerrygold

Will the decision by Labour to remove all reference to Arthur Spring's years spent at Anglo Irish Bank on his profile page damage the party's chances of retaking the seat in North Kerry. Will people find it dishonest and furthermore will the fact that he worked in the lending department of Anglo turn people off?

Below is an extract from the Phoenix magazine dated October 22nd

Spring’s cv on the Labour website currently notes that the 31-year-old, “After obtaining his qualifications (a B. Sc in management)... worked in America; returned to Ireland and worked as parliamentary assistant for Dick Spring. Arthur currently owns and operates a juice bar in Tralee, Co Kerry”.

There is a little less detail in this party portrait of Spring than there used to be. Last year the same party website noted the following:

”After qualifications he worked at the world headquarters of Merrill Lynch in Princeton New Jersey, and in their New York office. Following that he returned to Ireland and worked as parliamentary assistant for Dick Spring, before moving to Dublin where he worked with Anglo Irish Bank. Mr Spring currently owns and operates a juice bar business in Tralee”.

In other words, Arthur is a banker and an Anglo-Irish banker to boot, and while he doesn’t work in Anglo any more his main working experience was with that bank, prior to which he received his grounding as a banker with Merrill Lynch.

Phoenix Magazine - Tour See pages 10-11

According to the article Spring worked at Anglo for nearly four years, from 2002 to 2005, where he was part of a team in the lending division.

Would it have been in his interests to be upfront about his past work experience rather than hide it away in the hope that nobody would notice?

D

Duth Ealla

I wonder whether he will stand upo for the people of Kerry like Frank McB. Labour have been found out as spoofing.
Arthur should have no problem about banks sure isnt his uncle a Fianna Fail appointed banker supposedly there to safe guard the national interest but not doing a great job at it.

Mushroom

That wouldn't be the same uncle who awarded himself a big fat Director's termination bonus for helping to screw Telecom Eireann, by any chance?

SeanieFitz

That wouldn't be the same uncle who awarded himself a big fat Director's termination bonus for helping to screw Telecom Eireann, by any chance?
said he didn't purchase eircom shares as he hadn't the cash!

jmayo

Will the decision by Labour to remove all reference to Arthur Spring's years spent at Anglo Irish Bank on his profile page damage the party's chances of retaking the seat in North Kerry. Will people find it dishonest and furthermore will the fact that he worked in the lending department of Anglo turn people off?

Below is an extract from the Phoenix magazine dated October 22nd

Phoenix Magazine - Tour See pages 10-11

According to the article Spring worked at Anglo for nearly four years, from 2002 to 2005, where he was part of a team in the lending division.

Would it have been in his interests to be upfront about his past work experience rather than hide it away in the hope that nobody would notice?
Well I know that brennan's track record of being an Anglo employee was thrown out there during the Dublin South by election.
Can't see not being thrown about.
Then again there will be loads who have been deprived of their tradition of voting for a Spring of some sort.
That and the national swing to Labour might push him over the line.

mido

i thought he might have tried importing arms on trawler to boost his popularity

Franzoni

i thought he might have tried importing arms on trawler to boost his popularity
Pity we don't have a couple of trawlers and a few phone numbers still....:D

Doesn't look good to be economicial with the truth over something like this.... Labour seem hell bent like FG of shooting themselves in the foot....

clunk

Well I guess you have a choice between a candidate who worked for a bank that robbed the country or an organisation that for many years existed on the proceeds of robbing banks:D. Maybe thats a reason why Fianna Fail have prospered as long as they did.

Halo

I did a thread on this here few weeks back and to say the least the silence of the labour party members alone says a lot about the dealings of dick spring and his nephew.

DaveM

Well I know that brennan's track record of being an Anglo employee was thrown out there during the Dublin South by election.
Did Labour make much of an issue of it? If so then Spring is teed up for the same treatment.

Desperate Dan

First we had Gilmore not telling the truth of his entry into politics ie. OSF/OIRA I foolishly thought that part of the party had problems with their roots. But now we have a problem with young Spring, what is going on in that party, has the North Korean connection infected them all. What a change. Is it possible the next lot could be worse than the present. Come clean Gilmore your looking to be in the next Govt. show what you and your candidates are hiding. We need
Integrity and Honesty and you and your crew are not showing it.

Last edited:

Rosmuc

The Fall of Spring

Will Labour HQ remove AJ Spring from the ticket?

Gadfly

Can you do one of these for every TD who voted for the bailout, thus transferring Anglo losses of €30,000 million (and counting) to the taxpayer?

New Threads

Most Replies