• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Artists Exemption - Section 195 Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997. Is it justified?

Astral Peaks

Section 195 Taxes Consolidation Act 1997 empowers the Revenue Commissioners to make a determination that certain artistic works are original and creative works generally recognised as having cultural or artistic merit.

The first €40,000 per annum of profits or gains earned by writers, composers, visual artists and sculptors from the sale of their work is exempt from income tax in Ireland in certain circumstances.

The €40,000 limit was introduced in the tax year 2011.

So do posters think that it is still a valid relief to offer to the struggling artists of Ireland, for their original and creative works?
Some of those who have availed of it are listed below, but bear two things in mind here:

1. The Exemption is for Original and Creative works!

2. This is just a selection from the "Book or other writings" category, Music, Sculpture, Plays etc are not included.

Ahern Bertie
Bertie Ahern The Autobiography
Ahern Cecelia
Ps I Love You
Bird Charlie
This Is Charlie Bird
Bradley Martin
The Archives of the IRFU
Casey Ronan
Joe Dolan: The Authorised Biography
Corry Eoghan
An Illustrated History Of The GAA
Coughlan Mary
Bloody Mary, My Story
Darcy Fergus A.
Remembering The War Dead: British Commonwealth And International War Graves In Ireland Since 1914
Egleston Niall
Book - "Egleston Bros Photography 1904-2004 A History In Limerick"
Fanning Dave
The Thing is...
Gilmore Tom
Larry Cunningham A Showband Legend
Hearne John
Would The Real Gerry Ryan Please Stand Up?
Higgins Tom
A history of tennis in Ireland Vols 1-3
Hook George
George Hook-time Added On
Kelly Very Rev. Declan
Meadow Of The Miracle, A History Of The Diocese Of Clonfert
Leahy Deirdre
Scriptwriting For Rte's "Fair City" Series
Monin Lydia
Around New Zealand With 80 Authors
Mullooly Ciaran
Death On Holy Thursday, The Shooting Of John Carthy In Abberylara
O Gara Ronan
Ronan O'gara My Autobiography
Quinn Ruairi
Straight Left-a Journey In Politics
Rock Richard
Always Me, Dickie Rock

So there ye go, some fine creative titles there. Full list at:
Artists Exemption - Section 195 Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997

Astral Peaks

Unashamed bump!

Spanner Island

Original and Creative... suggests works of some sort of artistic ability, skill, imagination, talent and relevance... whether it's a book of fiction or a painting or a song or whatever...

Factual books including auto biographies which basically state history on whatever level should not be included... imo

TBH I think the entire thing should be looked at again... from scratch... because I somehow doubt when it was introduced initially that anyone imagined people would be making anything like the kind of money U2, Enya and many others are raking in...

Astral Peaks

Original and Creative... suggests works of some sort of artistic ability, skill, imagination, talent and relevance... whether it's a book of fiction or a painting or a song or whatever...

Factual books including auto biographies which basically state history on whatever level should not be included... imo

TBH I think the entire thing should be looked at again... from scratch... because I somehow doubt when it was introduced initially that anyone imagined people would be making anything like the kind of money U2, Enya and many others are raking in...
Have a look at the music section of that list, no U2 obviously as that is all offshore in Holland, but not many well known names there either. Best known that I can see is Rodrigo Sanchez.

truthisfree

Bertie Ahern The Autobiography

Says it all there, should be scrapped completely imo....honestly do not see the point of it.

Astral Peaks

Florence

Ryan Tubridy, Paul O’Connell approved for tax exemption of up to €50,000

This is insane. Tubridy and O'Connell are not artists.

Milking your media celebrity for cash is perfectly understandable and valid but it does not make you an artist. Their efforts should not be supported by the taxpayer.

It is hard to escape the impression that we have a two-tier tax system.
I agree. the scheme was meant to help fulltime artists in the various creative arts. It was basically flawed anyway in that most creative people make little money and tax would not be top of their list of problems. It meant hugely successful popular writers like Cecelia Ahern paid no tax as the exemption from income tax was much larger then.

The linked quote also names Jennifer Zaparelli. I think she was someone who didn't win Dragons Den, got fired early but went on to be a minor celebrity and does a bit of TV presenting; certainly not full time in the arts. I would scrap the scheme and provide bursaries to help the genuinely talented; but at the very least you should not be able to apply for the tax exemption if you have significant earnings from your normal occupation.

Niall996

The whole concept of an artists exemption makes no sense to me at all. It strikes me as a ludicrous idea and should be ditched completely.

McTell

Twitter
No

Popular Threads

Most Replies