"As a Catholic Michael McIlveen won't go to heaven&quot

DSCH

Sidewinder said:
That's bogeymonstering nonsense. Unionism has got about 18% of the vote. How are they going to translate that into a fundamentalist jihad across the whole island? They can yell and scream and wibble about God all they want, the rest of us can simply ignore them.

Unless yer suggesting that FF or FG in a coalition with the DUP would agree to banning homosexuality again? Hold a referendum to outlaw divorce again, and the people might actually vote for it?

How, exactly, in practice, would "those sort of people" be able to ram their lunatic religious views down the throats of the rest of the populace in an all-Ireland state?
They wouldn't, but they'd take up the gun to prevent a united Ireland. Majority southern opinion might then decide that Paisley et al weren't loveable enough to die for!

Gladstone

and when the bombs go off in grafton street I'm sure the ex-IRA member will defend it as a legitimate economic target and insist the loylists were not targeting civilians. :wink:

duff

AndrewM said:
Interesting how 'Daily Ireland' dug up this story. At a time when others are trying to ease tensions, they go out and write this. Not out of any sense of justice, just to sell a few more papers.
Ah so we'll just ignore more anti catholic bigotry to appease the Bigots. Great logic you have there boy :roll:

Sidewinder said:
That's bogeymonstering nonsense. Unionism has got about 18% of the vote. How are they going to translate that into a fundamentalist jihad across the whole island? They can yell and scream and wibble about God all they want, the rest of us can simply ignore them.
How many seats would this give them in united parliament?

eamonn_ie

How dare the Daily Ireland bring this to our attention! Somehow AndrewM you've spun this to blame SF, and that's remarkable.

DSCH

eamonn_ie said:
How dare the Daily Ireland bring this to our attention! Somehow AndrewM you've spun this to blame SF, and that's remarkable.
Daily Ireland regularly has comments of obscure unionist backwoodsmen as its headlines. It is a sectarian sh!t stirring shinner organ, and in its own way is as intellectually dishonest as the sindo.

Gladstone

DSCH said:
eamonn_ie said:
Daily Ireland regularly has comments of obscure unionist backwoodsmen as its headlines. It is a sectarian sh!t stirring shinner organ, and in its own way is as intellectually dishonest as the sindo.
WOW WOW lets not say things we can't take back!!

eamonn_ie

The sectarian shit stirrers are the people who issue the comments in the first place. At least the Daily Ireland has the balls to let the wider public know.

duff

DSCH said:
It is a sectarian sh!t stirring shinner organ
How the hell is it Sectarian? What aload of shite. It is exposing Loyalist/Unionist/British Bigotry.

DSCH

Gladstone said:
DSCH said:
eamonn_ie said:
WOW WOW lets not say things we can't take back!!
A studied contempt!

ON THE ONE ROAD

DSCH said:
eamonn_ie said:

would it be better if it ignored the wood and consotrated only on dodds donaldson and robinson.

i think there is a story here. this kind of thinking dehumanizes people and in my opipion is reflective of the thinking that makes it ok to kill a 15yr old BOY because he's catholic. and as you said DI regularly has comments at the very least means comments are regularly made, does that not worry you?

Gladstone said:
Sidewinder said:

Unless yer suggesting that FF or FG in a coalition with the DUP would agree to banning homosexuality again? Hold a referendum to outlaw divorce again, and the people might actually vote for it?

How, exactly, in practice, would "those sort of people" be able to ram their lunatic religious views down the throats of the rest of the populace in an all-Ireland state?
To quote a PD when they were going into coalition with FF for the first time "their main worry seemed to be who got what cabinet seats and who got what junior ministries, policy was at the back of their mind they didn't really care about policy concessions".

FF would do anything for power and FG have a very strong socially conservaitve wing.

As for the econommic effects, it's stupid, just plain stupid to be blind to the effects it might have all in the name of romantic nationalism.

Ahh the rigid thinking of an SWP member, if everyone thought like you and the SWP, there would have been no 1916 as breaking from the UK in 1916 was considered tantamount to economic suicide.

Sometimes you have to do something that in the short term might be negative but in the long term will prove to be a correct and beneficial action.

Gladstone

I'm not an SWP member.

and I'm sure economic effects could be manged with some decent planning.

Its the idea of nuts like that guy having a vote in Dail Eireann and his party being a signifigant power block that worries me.
We just got rid of the likes of Dev and McQuaid there is no need to IMPORT their kind back again.

DSCH

ON THE ONE ROAD said:
DSCH said:
[quote="eamonn_ie":1hsrl0xl]How dare the Daily Ireland bring this to our attention! Somehow AndrewM you've spun this to blame SF, and that's remarkable.

would it be better if it ignored the wood and consotrated only on dodds donaldson and robinson.

i think there is a story here. this kind of thinking dehumanizes people and in my opipion is reflective of the thinking that makes it ok to kill a 15yr old BOY because he's catholic. and as you said DI regularly has comments at the very least means comments are regularly made, does that not worry you?[/quote:1hsrl0xl]

I agree with you about the consequences of bigoted thinking. However DI wouldn't be quite so forward in exposing crap that might embarrass SF. For example why would it not have an expose on Martin McGuiness' role in Bloody Sunday? It prints stories that serve its biased world view and ignores those that muddy the waters. This is the same modus operandi as the Sindo.

DSCH

Gladstone said:
I'm not an SWP member.

Its the idea of nuts like that guy having a vote in Dail Eireann and his party being a signifigant power block that worries me.
We just got rid of the likes of Dev and McQuaid there is no need to IMPORT their kind back again.
Now who's making the rash statements? By the way that SWP avatar is provoking less than admiring glances!

pogo

Website
stags.pl
DSCH said:
eamonn_ie said:
Daily Ireland regularly has comments of obscure unionist backwoodsmen as its headlines. It is a sectarian sh!t stirring shinner organ
Very good point, and pity few here are sufficiently intelligent or honest enough to recognise this.

Daily Ireland and many here just love this kind of thing.

Pathetic sectarian point scoring.

I'm glad to see the boy's family appear to have risen above this kind of pettiness, and wish others would do the same.

Gladstone said:
I'm not an SWP member.

Look we have had these nuts all along, the Hanafins of FF, the Flanagans of FG, they are a minority and so will be the back woodsmen of the Unionist tradition. These conservatives may join together but they will be a minority in a utd Ireland.

It might even be refreshing, because it might force those hard core right wingers out of FF and FG and into a party with the proper clothes on, instead of hiding behind the curtain of Nationalism in FG and FF to obscure their real beliefs.

Have faith that there is a majority out there who don't believe in shoving their outdated philosophy's down peoples troats.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Would it be less sectarian if he said he was going to heaven?

Guess what - people who are religious hold some pretty bizarre beliefs. There's no point getting worked up about it unless you can prove them wrong.

Without getting all true04 on it, if you asked a priest whether a gay man who was beaten to death would get into heaven, what do you think the answer would be, and what do you think the correct answer is?

The point Seanód raises is an important one. The initial posts suggests that DI approached him. If he firmly believes this, what should he have said? I guess he could have made no comment, but isn't proselytising an important part of 'fundamentalist' Christianity?

ON THE ONE ROAD

DSCH said:
ON THE ONE ROAD said:
DSCH said:
[quote="eamonn_ie":cnr07hdi]How dare the Daily Ireland bring this to our attention! Somehow AndrewM you've spun this to blame SF, and that's remarkable.

i think there is a story here. this kind of thinking dehumanizes people and in my opipion is reflective of the thinking that makes it ok to kill a 15yr old BOY because he's catholic. and as you said DI regularly has comments at the very least means comments are regularly made, does that not worry you?
I agree with you about the consequences of bigoted thinking. However DI wouldn't be quite so forward in exposing crap that might embarrass SF. For example why would it not have an expose on Martin McGuiness' role in Bloody Sunday? It prints stories that serve its biased world view and ignores those that muddy the waters. This is the same modus operandi as the Sindo.[/quote:cnr07hdi]
what would a story like this do for SF when Gerry said yesterday he would be voting for big ian in for FM when the assembley reconvines.

probabley not the end of the world but enough to turn a few peoples stomach maybe?

if you want me to argue that DI is the best paper gowing then you won't get it from me. in can be very parocial and i find the layout irirritating (nothing to do with what your talking about) but stories like this i think its right to highlight and good that there highlighted. to pretend that that view point isn't out there in my opinion would be worse.

DSCH

smiffy said:
Without getting all true04 on it, if you asked a priest whether a gay man who was beaten to death would get into heaven, what do you think the answer would be, and what do you think the correct answer is?
He would say Yes. The correct (in your view) answer would be No, as Heaven doesn't exist! Do I win a prize?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom