• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ash Tree Dieback (Chalara fraxinea)

truthisfree

This disease was first identified in Poland in 1992 and has now spread to most European countries including here recently in county Leitrim. It seems very likely we will lose 90% of our native ash because of this disease.

I planted about 60+ ash trees two years ago and now seems very likely they will die, luckily I also planted as much willow, birch, sycamore and maple.

I am a little confused as to why anyone in Leitrim would import ash saplings as I regard them usually until now as a pest, seeding everywhere and having to be removed/mowed/sprayed...

Link here and there is loads on the net about it for those interested...

This disease was first identified in Poland in 1992 and has now spread to most European countries including here recently in county Leitrim. It seems very likely we will lose 90% of our native ash because of this disease.

I planted about 60+ ash trees two years ago and now seems very likely they will die, luckily I also planted as much willow, birch, sycamore and maple.

I am a little confused as to why anyone in Leitrim would import ash saplings as I regard them usually until now as a pest, seeding everywhere and having to be removed/mowed/sprayed...

Link here and there is loads on the net about it for those interested...
Did you not consider sycamore a pest (and a foreign one at that)?

truthisfree

Aw, thanks for that, did not do a search first....and thanks to Des for highlighting this...Mods you can zoo/merge this as ye see fit...:)

truthisfree

Did you not consider sycamore a pest (and a foreign one at that)?
Hard one to call TA...Sycamore lives for 800yrs approx, feeds a lot of insects compared to other native trees and is very good firewood, fast growing and very good wood to work with...the debate goes on...:)

gloria

Sycamore is a total weed and never goes away! No matter how many times you cut it down or try to pull the roots it keeps coming back vigorously!

truthisfree

Sycamore is a total weed and never goes away! No matter how many times you cut it down or try to pull the roots it keeps coming back vigorously!
Really, try coppicing, it works very well and lets more light through and rewards you with colourful bark and healthier leaves. Great firewood to burn too and keeps many insects and birds happier than a lot more trees.

Anyway, if you know anything about trees a quick lick of "Brushwood" on the stem after cutting sees that it will never grow again :)

Truth.ie

Hard one to call TA...Sycamore lives for 800yrs approx, feeds a lot of insects compared to other native trees and is very good firewood, fast growing and very good wood to work with...the debate goes on...:)
We have less tree cover than hot, dusty Israel.
We need all the trees we can get, especially broadleaves and decidiuos.

gloria

Really, try coppicing, it works very well and lets more light through and rewards you with colourful bark and healthier leaves. Great firewood to burn too and keeps many insects and birds happier than a lot more trees.

Anyway, if you know anything about trees a quick lick of "Brushwood" on the stem after cutting sees that it will never grow again :)
Thanks truth, but I can do without the beauty of this annoying tree/weed! I do not appreciate it growing from the foundations of my house.. every time I remove it it just comes back stronger the next year ( I have a woods behind the house and the sycamore is the only tree that invades)

truthisfree

We have less tree cover than hot, dusty Israel.
We need all the trees we can get, especially broadleaves and decidiuos.
We do indeed, I have a personal weakness (strength) for growing trees, sowed about 150 two yrs ago in a place that is already almost woodland....:)

truthisfree

Thanks truth, but I can do without the beauty of this annoying tree/weed! I do not appreciate it growing from the foundations of my house.. every time I remove it it just comes back stronger the next year ( I have a woods behind the house and the sycamore is the only tree that invades)

Brushwood is the answer to anything growing too near your house, use carefully and preferably mix with 50% kerosene, it helps.... also remember that willow can be even more invasive and detrimental to your household foundations. Having said that, I love the wood I live in...:)

gloria

Brushwood is the answer to anything growing too near your house, use carefully and preferably mix with 50% kerosene, it helps.... also remember that willow can be even more invasive and detrimental to your household foundations. Having said that, I love the wood I live in...:)
Thanks truth.. do you have a solution for bamboo??
I have a huge bamboo that has been taking over it's space and is now dominating the gooseberry bush beside it..
keep cutting it but it is thriving.
Do you live in a woods?

Truth.ie

We do indeed, I have a personal weakness (strength) for growing trees, sowed about 150 two yrs ago in a place that is already almost woodland....:)
Would like to do the same, now that land prices are falling.
Always loved the idea of owning/cultivating some native woodland. I do own some woodland, but abroad.
Enquired about the grant scheme but it seems to be pretty complicated and off-putting.

truthisfree

Thanks truth.. do you have a solution for bamboo??
I have a huge bamboo that has been taking over it's space and is now dominating the gooseberry bush beside it..
keep cutting it but it is thriving.
Do you live in a woods?
I live beside a lake in the midlands and it is naturally wooded, as for your bamboos....it needs to be dug out a bit every year or so and tbh...would love some of it....I don't have bamboo....:)

drummed

Incredibly there's already a thread on this. But, like the OP'er i could'nt be bothered finding it right now.

truthisfree

Would like to do the same, now that land prices are falling.
Always loved the idea of owning/cultivating some native woodland. I do own some woodland, but abroad.
Enquired about the grant scheme but it seems to be pretty complicated and off-putting.
Mine kinda happened over many years...and did I not advise you to get your ass outta here...??? :)

gloria

looks like you two have more than a name in common!

gloria

I live beside a lake in the midlands and it is naturally wooded, as for your bamboos....it needs to be dug out a bit every year or so and tbh...would love some of it....I don't have bamboo....:)
Ha.. Are you sure about that?
It took about 10 years to establish but once it gets its roots in it makes itself quite at home and doesn't give a shoot about anything else around it!
Great windbreak though!