• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Assisted Suicide - High Court Rejection

FrankSpeaks

The HC has rejected the bid of Marie Fleming to get legal assurance as to the non prosecution of those who may assist her at some stage in the future with her suicide bid. She is physically unable to do it herself but mentally she is OK, she is afraid that sometime in the future her symptoms will be come unbearable and want her husband to assist in committing suicide. The law at present would charge the husband with murder.

I think the time has come for our lawmakers to be brave and legislate to permit voluntary euthanasia of people in circumstances like this. I think people should be permitted to make wills that would allow them to die in cases like dementia, Alzheimer's and total helplessness.

Oops completely missed other thread, mods merge if you wish.

The Field Marshal

The OP is happy that we create a society where the vulnerable are exposed and threatened. A society pervaded by a culture of death. The judges found that A "real risk" of removing the ban was that, even with rigorous safeguards, it "would be impossible to ensure that the aged, the disabled, the poor, the unwanted, the rejected, the lonely, the impulsive, the financially compromised and emotionally vulnerable would not avail of option in order to avoid a sense of being a burden on their family and society", it said.

bob3344

The OP is happy that we create a society where the vulnerable are exposed and threatened. A society pervaded by a culture of death. The judges found that A "real risk" of removing the ban was that, even with rigorous safeguards, it "would be impossible to ensure that the aged, the disabled, the poor, the unwanted, the rejected, the lonely, the impulsive, the financially compromised and emotionally vulnerable would not avail of option in order to avoid a sense of being a burden on their family and society", it said.
Easy enough to avoid that surely.

Limit it to people with terminal or degenerative illness & get them assessed by a psychiatrist.

Why should people be forced to endure a quality of life that wouldn't be inflicted on a dog ?

D

Deleted member 17573

Easy enough to avoid that surely.

Limit it to people with terminal or degenerative illness & get them assessed by a psychiatrist.

Why should people be forced to endure a quality of life that wouldn't be inflicted on a dog ?
Seems eminently reasonable.

Aindriu

This woman deserves to die with dignity with her family around her, NOT suffocating or choking to death in a hospital ward!

A disgusting verdict by the court.

SilverSpurs

The HC has rejected the bid of Marie Fleming to get legal assurance as to the non prosecution of those who may assist her at some stage in the future with her suicide bid. She is physically unable to do it herself but mentally she is OK, she is afraid that sometime in the future her symptoms will be come unbearable and want her husband to assist in committing suicide. The law at present would charge the husband with murder.

I think the time has come for our lawmakers to be brave and legislate to permit voluntary euthanasia of people in circumstances like this. I think people should be permitted to make wills that would allow them to die in cases like dementia, Alzheimer's and total helplessness.

Oops completely missed other thread, mods merge if you wish.
I wonder what would have happened if another life issue wasn't distracting the attention of the press and the chattering classes. We could well have had a frenzy of media hysteria bouncing the court into ruling in her favour.

Bobcolebrooke

This woman deserves to die with dignity with her family around her, NOT suffocating or choking to death in a hospital ward!

There are some really horrible diseases and medical conditions that sentence one to a long life of pain and misery. Have the Judges considered any of them in depth?

FrankSpeaks

At present anyone who is physically capable can take their own life, we need to make provision for those who are physically incapable.

I think that people should be able to make a will that states that their wish to be euthanised in the event of them becoming severely cognitively impaired by diseases such as dementia.

Basically I suggest making it lawful for persons to do what they are physically unable to do themselves.

FrankSpeaks

There are some really horrible diseases and medical conditions that sentence one to a long life of pain and misery. Have the Judges considered any of them in depth?
The reality is that our legislators will have to make provision for it in law until then it can't happen lawfully. People may get away with by non prosecution by the DPP but we know what our DPP did to 14 year old girls just over 20 years ago.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie

There are some people who go through pain and misery throughout often short lives due to certain medical conditions. Do you see their lives of having no value?

borntorum

Explain how the judgment is legally incorrect

The Field Marshal

There are some people who go through pain and misery throughout often short lives due to certain medical conditions. Do you see their lives of having no value?
I know people who have spent years enduring hard physical suffering and they endure it with Christian fortitude.

They have the resignation to accept Gods will and the humility to accept that their creator God alone is the decider of when life ends.

Placing the decision of when innocent life ends in the hands of men or women is the basis for a culture of death.

D

Dylan2010

thats whataboutery innit? what exactly has that got to do with a situation where a previously healthy adult decides for themselves that they dont want to live below a certain quality of live, possibly not being able to recognise their kids or what not?

bob3344

I know people who have spent years enduring hard physical suffering and they endure it with Christian fortitude.

They have the resignation to accept Gods will and the humility to accept that their creator God alone is the decider of when life ends.

Placing the decision of when innocent life ends in the hands of men or women is the basis for a culture of death.
Ludicrous attitude.

What about non-religious people ?

bob3344

His opinion is irrelevant, whether they see their lives as having value is the crux.

The Field Marshal

Ludicrous attitude.

What about non-religious people ?
What about them?
Gods will applies to everybody irrespective of what they do, believe, or think.

Suicide is morally wrong.
End of.

bob3344

What about them?
Gods will applies to everybody irrespective of what they do, believe, or think.

Suicide is morally wrong.
End of.
Load of bo11ox. You forgot 'In my opinion'.

You remind me of Islamic preachers & I certainly don't mean that as a compliment.