• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

ASTI not endorsing Begg for Seanad

jmcc

Seems that the Secondary teachers union, ASTI, is not endorsing the David Begg for the Seanad. Apparently he was nominated by a former general secretary of ASTI.

ASTI not endorsing Begg for Seanad - RTÉ News

Will this have any impact on Begg's attempt at a Seanad seat?

Bea C

Seems that the Secondary teachers union, ASTI, is not endorsing the David Begg for the Seanad. Apparently he was nominated by a former general secretary of ASTI.

ASTI not endorsing Begg for Seanad - RTÉ News

Will this have any impact on Begg's attempt at a Seanad seat?
I shouldn't imagine so.
The way I'm describing as how I'll probably vote is pull together all of my 'postcards', pull out the David Begg one, and vote then for whomever I randomly pull out then.

Incidentally, I was once a member of the ASTI. Only for a year, though.

jmcc

Interesting way of voting. Suppose it is better than putting them all on a wall, getting a set of darts and praying that Voodoo actually works. :)

Seriously though, it looked like a way to sneak Begg in to the Seanad with what appeared to be a union endorsement.

stakerwallace

ASTI/ INTO/ TUI ought to make some protest that the franchise has not been extended to other colleges and do so by boycotting this NUI pocket borough. Most INTO members nowadays are graduates of DCU and UL

jmcc

Why wouldn't Begg run for the industrial/commercial panel (or whatever it is called)?

wombat

Why wouldn't Begg run for the industrial/commercial panel (or whatever it is called)?
He's running on NUI panel so he must figure he has a chance of getting elected, I doubt he'd feature among the councillors.

cricket

No surprise here, the likes of megaphone man seem to dominate ASTI these days.It appears to be a union that has surrendered to the hard left through apathy of majority of its members but doesn't achieve much for them apart from making noise.

ergo2

I shouldn't imagine so.
The way I'm describing as how I'll probably vote is pull together all of my 'postcards', pull out the David Begg one, and vote then for whomever I randomly pull out then.

Incidentally, I was once a member of the ASTI. Only for a year, though.
Really, Bea. I am disappointed that an intelligent young lady such as yourself would vote so casually:).

I think every grad should vote for at least three from the panel in order of choice.

jmcc

He's running on NUI panel so he must figure he has a chance of getting elected, I doubt he'd feature among the councillors.
Only three seats and about thirty candidates. McDowell is one of them.

making waves

No surprise here, the likes of megaphone man seem to dominate ASTI these days.It appears to be a union that has surrendered to the hard left through apathy of majority of its members but doesn't achieve much for them apart from making noise.
Excuse me while I - ROTFLMFAO

Begg openly criticised the ASTI during the vote on the Haddington Road deal - from Begg's perspective he expects everyone to say 'how high' when he says 'jump'.

Given the role Begg has played in undermining trade union organisation over a period of decades - he should not get a single vote from any member of a trade union. And it should be noted that Begg's tilt at the Seanad has the support of the Jesuits.

cricket

Begg openly criticised the ASTI during the vote on the Haddington Road deal - from Begg's perspective he expects everyone to say 'how high' when he says 'jump'.

Given the role Begg has played in undermining trade union organisation over a period of decades - he should not get a single vote from any member of a trade union. And it should be noted that Begg's tilt at the Seanad has the support of the Jesuits.
And what has megaphone man and his ilk achieved besides a sore throat for himself and pissing off the general public ?

making waves

And what has megaphone man and his ilk achieved besides a sore throat for himself and pissing off the general public ?
What has the LP achieved over the past five years for anyone expect the super wealthy in this society?

As for Begg - we all know what he has achieved

- a few bob from Concern when he was a highly paid CEO
- a few bob from his directorship of AerLingus
- a few bob from his membership of the NESC
- a few bob from his various trade union jobs
- a few bob from the wonderful job he did while on the board of the Central Bank and sat idly by as the banks first fleeced the economy and then wrecked it

- he really must be p*ssed that he didn't get his hands on that pension board job that Joany tried to set him up with

- and now he is after another nice little earner where he can rub shoulders with the political lapdogs that he has been helping for decades.

ygargarin

Begg is typical of a generation of Irish Trades Union leaders who had their own personal interests, rather than those of their membership at heart. At least one Civil Service Union is still headed by one of his ilk. Traitors masquerading as patriots.

Mercurial

I had a look at his leaflet, saw how many positions he's held, and got the impression that a Seanad seat would be just another in a long line of appointments that don't really mean anything to him. He has a very "former head of a students' union" vibe about him.

RobertW

David Begg (and Pat King - Begg's endorser) are two absolute liars who went into union politics to feather their own nests and to hell with the members who paid their inflated salaries.

Nice to see that the ASTI is rid of the likes of King.

Ruadh

the Jesuits!

Isn't he the radical. David Begg 1 Mullen 2! Crikes.

Pabilito

I had a look at his leaflet, saw how many positions he's held, and got the impression that a Seanad seat would be just another in a long line of appointments that don't really mean anything to him. He has a very "former head of a students' union" vibe about him.
He’s just a beard, same as Jack Off O’Connor.

Sotired

The same David Begg, ex-director of the central bank.

Some neck.

What a great country, with leaders in society like him.

Sotired

You have used way too many words there.

Parasitical €unt would suffice.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies