ASTI staff set to strike

automaticforthepeople

This dispute may be more than embarrassing within the trade union movement but it seems that ASTI staff know at first hand how teachers feel as they are getting it on the neck within their workplace from their employer.

ASTI members may note the irony of their own staff now voting to go on strike in response to a culture of disrespect from elected officers and claims that agreed structures on who staff are directly answerable to are not being followed.

Schools pride themselves on how they cope with the power play that is bullying. We see bullying in politics and now it is in industrial relations. It's a sad day and it is indefensible that workers within a union should be treated like this by any employer, let alone a union.

What will be the response of ICTU to this dispute if it is not resolved? ASTI is losing members at a rate of knots and now this. Will ASTI members pass any picket put down on the office by SIPTU members and what might be the fall out of that for the ASTI?

ASTI Conference: Teacher union staff may strike in dispute over

Congalltee

Why is it that Trade Unions disrespect employment rights for their own staff?
Is there any entitlement culture on left leaning organisations, which give them the impression that the rules against the bad employers don't apply to them?

Uganda

Why is it that Trade Unions disrespect employment rights for their own staff?
Is there any entitlement culture on left leaning organisations, which give them the impression that the rules against the bad employers don't apply to them?
As Asti members have demonstrated time and again that they only have respect for themselves, this dispute cannot be surprising.

cricket

Not the first time, a union has been involved in something like this. Usual suspects line up here to show their venom towards trade unions.
I suggest we allow the issue to play out for a while yet before sane people come to any conclusions.
An embarrassment ? Yes.
A crisis ? Not yet.

Clanrickard

blokesbloke

Let them strike.

F*** 'em.
What, all of 'em?

I'd have to see them first, and i could only do the men, but with my catholic tastes and carnal appetite I could probably cover the majority.

I always pictured RobertW as very sexy. Very dark with a hairy body and lots of rage...

Last edited:

ShoutingIsLeadership

As Asti members have demonstrated time and again that they only have respect for themselves, this dispute cannot be surprising.

Your misplacement of "only", rather undermines your attempt at being pithy

Roberto Jordan

I miss RobertW.
Indeed. The angriest teacher I have ever come across since a group of us dragged mud splattered hurleys across the carpet on the day of a bi visit when we were in junior infants........
Also, in my long sojourn away from ireland , he represents what I have thus far found to be a uniquely irish species.....the professional public servant who seems to hate everything about their job and seems to have done so since day 1. I have personal friends and relatives in AGS, teaching, nursing, medicine and civil service who are the same....it is something I have yet to come across elsewhere....even amongst friends of mine who teach in public schools in the south bronx and brooklyn.......

Prester Jim

Indeed. The angriest teacher I have ever come across since a group of us dragged mud splattered hurleys across the carpet on the day of a bi visit when we were in junior infants........
Also, in my long sojourn away from ireland , he represents what I have thus far found to be a uniquely irish species.....the professional public servant who seems to hate everything about their job and seems to have done so since day 1. I have personal friends and relatives in AGS, teaching, nursing, medicine and civil service who are the same....it is something I have yet to come across elsewhere....even amongst friends of mine who teach in public schools in the south bronx and brooklyn.......
Of the dozens of teachers I know, none hate their job, of the dozen social workers I know one or two did and swapped jobs. None of the rest of the PS I know do other than a couple of admin people who come across as if they hate humanity, the earth and all existence.
Maybe you just know lots of angry people.

;-)
P. 's. Yeah I know one AGS that is counting down to retirement.

New Threads

Most Replies