Astroturf campaign..

Kilenee

Website
dispatchesfromanywhere.blogspot.com
While I do agree that the Tea Party is devoid of any new ideas or policies, merely calling it an astroturf campaign is not sufficient. Yes, it is clearly sponsored by wealthy executives who fund the Tea Parties out of profit pursuing self interest, but that does not invalidate the points they are trying to make. To combat their idiocy, you need to look beyond the sponsors and actually attack their fundamental values and ideas. It's not terribly difficult, as they just recycle GOP platform from the Reagan years, with extra fundamentalism added in, but actually addressing their concerns will be far more effective and meaningful.

Goober

And yet they will have changed the makeup of Congress. No small achievement.

Still to this day, most don’t get the abstraction of Tea Party. For most, it is merely the rallying point against the fiscal irresponsibility of President Obama’s administration. And the more we are called loons, the harder we fight. So thank you all, because you have helped us to take the House and hopefully the Senate from this lousy Congress. :lol:

TaxHavenSite

That's why im a member of the pirate party,and not the tea party. I also don't like how the tea party is very xenophobic,and extremely nationalist. The Pirate Party has an international convention each year,where all the parties in the movement meet and discuss things from their nations.

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
For most, it is merely the rallying point against the fiscal irresponsibility of President Obama’s administration.
None of whom were the slightest bit bothered about the utter fiscal irresponsbility of the Bush administration which created the problem in the first place.

Funny, that.

P.

Goober

None of whom were the slightest bit bothered about the utter fiscal irresponsbility of the Bush administration which created the problem in the first place.

Funny, that.

P.
It started for many of us during the Bush administration when we felt he was allowing Congress to add massive spending measures into the budgets without much of a fight. Some felt he was placating to the Democrats in order to get their support for the war on terror. But when he initiated the Troubled Asset Relief Program to purchase assets and equity from financial institutions, the revolt really started.

By hey, why believe anything from the horses’ mouth when wacky theories are available... right?

Goober

That's why im a member of the pirate party,and not the tea party. I also don't like how the tea party is very xenophobic,and extremely nationalist. The Pirate Party has an international convention each year,where all the parties in the movement meet and discuss things from their nations.
Ahoy!, be your party gettin' much accomplished?

Kilenee

Website
The Anti-Tea party people are void of historical or economic knowledge.
That's a mighty big generalization.
Funny you should say that, though. The cherished Tea Party belief that the U.S Constitution was written to protect American freedoms and limit the power of the central government? The Constitution actually strengthened the power of the central government, and came about because federalists believed the Articles of Confederation were too weak on a national level. The Founding Fathers thought too much power had been devolved down to state level. And the worship of the Founding Fathers? John Adams signed into law the Alien and Sedition Act, a law that essentially made immigration much more difficult and potentially dangerous (his opponents' party always won the immigrant vote) and banned written dissent against the government.
Those are some of the core doctrines of the Tea Party, I'm not even going to address their fringe views.
Supposedly the Tea Party calls for limited government. I'm fine with that. But quite frankly, the Tea Party is an authoritarian movement. The University of Washington did some research of the views of Tea Party members, viewable here: WISER :: Multi-state survey of Race & Politics
What I thought was most salient was that over half of Tea Party members support indefinite detention against the Writ of Habeus Corpus, and that two thirds support warrantless wiretapping and racial or religious profiling. How can you call for a limited government that has the right to listen in to your conversations with no justification? Are they saying the right should be devolved to the states?
If the Tea Party had stuck with its roots in financial protest, they would have kept their principles. However, the Tea Party has transformed into a traditional, social conservative "Guns and God" movement that has little actual relation to the original. That being said, the original had its problems too. I was utterly confused by their complete lack of protest against the military budget, given that it is around $1,000,000,000,000 a year (730,500,000,000 euros) and the largest single portion of the U.S. budget.

But, by all means, characterize people who disagree with the Tea Party as ignorant of history and economics. There's no room for facts in American political discourse.

Socratus O' Pericles

I prefer coffee; any sign of the coffee party?

Mar Tweedy

Billionaire backers throwing money so you can run attack ads and rouse a populist rabble? That's no achievement at all. There is a direct correlation between amount of funding and who gets elected which is why it is very difficult to get anyone elected who doesn't represent elite interests.

I'm not saying the whole tea party movement are rabble. Somewhere in there is some thread of an ideology but the expression of it is very confused, for example, it is an anti-elitist movement shouting out for policies that are in the interest of the elite of the elites.

Goober

Billionaire backers throwing money so you can run attack ads and rouse a populist rabble?
You just described the Obama campaign of 2008.

That's no achievement at all. There is a direct correlation between amount of funding and who gets elected which is why it is very difficult to get anyone elected who doesn't represent elite interests.
True funding is important, but the elite are not the only ones with money.

I'm not saying the whole tea party movement are rabble. Somewhere in there is some thread of an ideology but the expression of it is very confused, for example, it is an anti-elitist movement shouting out for policies that are in the interest of the elite of the elites.
We aren’t against the elite, just the elite that has no experience for the task at hand - yet claims to know more than anyone else on how to run things.

And how many of Obama's inexperienced financial elite, who crafted his fiscal policies, haven't bailed on his administration by now. By my count, I think only one is left. That alone should scare the beegeebiz out of everyone.

Then again, maybe I'm just suffering from Obama Underappreciation Syndrome.

Goban Saor

That's a mighty big generalization.
Funny you should say that, though. The cherished Tea Party belief that the U.S Constitution was written to protect American freedoms and limit the power of the central government? The Constitution actually strengthened the power of the central government, and came about because federalists believed the Articles of Confederation were too weak on a national level. The Founding Fathers thought too much power had been devolved down to state level.
I am aware of this. Would be more of a wild west man myself.

And the worship of the Founding Fathers? John Adams signed into law the Alien and Sedition Act, a law that essentially made immigration much more difficult and potentially dangerous (his opponents' party always won the immigrant vote) and banned written dissent against the government.
Those are some of the core doctrines of the Tea Party, I'm not even going to address their fringe views.
I wouldnt call those core issues. The single issue that binds the Tea Party is the bank bailout.

[

There is and it is failing miserably.

CookieMonster

Funny, that.

P.
You know it started under Bush, right? As a response to his bailouts, right?

The article is a typical example of attacking the legitimacy of something you don't like.

Kilenee

Website
Coffee Party | Wake Up and Stand Up
They send out a fair amount of email I hear. I don't actually know what exactly they do, but it sounds fairly interesting.

And I'm not much of an Obama fan, but most of the negative advertising targeted him during the election.
And Obama's advisors do have experience. That's part of the problem. Timothy Geithner, current Secretary of Treasury, was formerly President of the Federal Reserve Board of New York.
Bernanke, Chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve, was formerly Fed Governor under President Bush.
Americans have the same economic advisors as they did during the Bush years, with very little change. Even when the people aren't the same, they still come from the same economic school of worshiping Alan Greenspan.

florin

Still to this day, most don’t get the abstraction of Tea Party. For most, it is merely the rallying point against the fiscal irresponsibility of President Obama’s administration. And the more we are called loons, the harder we fight. So thank you all, because you have helped us to take the House and hopefully the Senate from this lousy Congress. :lol:
Actually the bailout has been a success, for the most part.

Kilenee

Website
Actually the bailout has been a success, for the most part.
The bailout? As in giving heaps of cash to the banks? I suppose that could be considered a success, but I think you meant TARP, the stimulus. The stimulus has improved the economy (technically the U.S. is out of the recession and the Dow Jones topped 10,000 points a few weeks ago). The reason it still feels to many like a recession is because the massive amounts of foreclosures and because corporations aren't hiring.

I wouldnt call those core issues. The single issue that binds the Tea Party is the bank bailout.
Maybe originally, but that's not the rhetoric that I'm hearing from them anymore. Now it's all about Muslim terrorist, creeping sharia, Obama trying to take away their guns, devolution of power to states, fears about the UN taking away sovereignty, and basically ever other conservative issue that's been raised and debated constantly over the last 20 years or so. Nothing new. One of the original Tea Party organizers commented on this recently too:
''Karl Denninger, Tea Party Founder Blasts Palin & Gingrich'' - Auburn Journal

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies