• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Asylum seekers allege "Fine Gael councillor paid us to vote for him"

pjoz

From Irish Mail on Sunday. Got a copy last night from local shop after reading the thread on Gilmore and Adamirer here,like reading things in their proper context and came upon this far more interesting topic.

Three asylum seekers have signed affidavits alleging voter fraud against James Keogh Fine Gael, Longford. They allege more than 20 were involved in the fraud, these people were brought to Mr Keoghs office, presented with a voting paper, given 20 euros, promised improvement in their living conditions and ferried to the polling booth.

This raises numerous questions....I'll start the ball rolling.....
How common is this practice within FG ranks...the article infers that more than Mr Keogh were involved...

Oldira1

From Irish Mail on Sunday. Got a copy last night from local shop after reading the thread on Gilmore and Adamirer here,like reading things in their proper context and came upon this far more interesting topic.

Three asylum seekers have signed affidavits alleging voter fraud against James Keogh Fine Gael, Longford. They allege more than 20 were involved in the fraud, these people were brought to Mr Keoghs office, presented with a voting paper, given 20 euros, promised improvement in their living conditions and ferried to the polling booth.

How common is this practice within FG ranks...the article infers that more than Mr Keogh were involved...
How could they be presented with a ballot paper? Story falls down on this unless it was a mock ballot to explain where to fill in.

Is paying someone to vote illegal?

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane

As noted by the other poster, how were they presented with ballot papers?

Can you include a link to the article or failing that a picture of it posted on flickr or similar?

seanad voter

The ballot papers could have been genuine ... if they were postal votes applied for in the names of people still on the Electoral register who may have died or left the constituency concerned since the most recent update.

Outlander

How could they be presented with a ballot paper? Story falls down on this unless it was a mock ballot to explain where to fill in.

"Treating" is definitely an offence in the UK - Jack Straw got into some trouble recently...

pjoz

As noted by the other poster, how were they presented with ballot papers?

Can you include a link to the article or failing that a picture of it posted on flickr or similar?
Sorry but I don't have a scanner (and wouldn't know how to use it anyway)and cant find a link for Irish Mail on Sunday. It's on the same page as Say that again Eamon article that was discussed on another thread here.Surprised nobody has raised the issue here before. Couldn't find a thread on it but was expecting to be told there was one

pjoz

It was before the high court last week according to the article.Only ever done a module or two of Law in college and it was never a strong point of mine but I'd imagine it wouldn't be legit to pay someone to vote. Even if it is legal, I couldn't see how an asylum seeker would be entitled to a vote.I'd be very interested if somebody could clarify the legal standings in such matters.

pjoz

Thanks Dave. Was I the first to raise it here?

Sync

Could probably rename the topic as well as it's a statement of fact where no fact has been proven. The allegation's been made, that's all. People who read something in the daily mail and then run off flailing their arms shouting about "Dis is de factz!" should be kept away from heavy machinary.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Sorry but I don't have a scanner (and wouldn't know how to use it anyway)and cant find a link for Irish Mail on Sunday. It's on the same page as Say that again Eamon article that was discussed on another thread here.Surprised nobody has raised the issue here before. Couldn't find a thread on it but was expecting to be told there was one
If you have a camera phone, you could take it with that and upload it.

locke

Would it be impossible to deport someone when there were ongoing legal proceedings related to another matter that involved them?

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
It doesn't appear to be a duplicate post, but I would advise caution to anyone who makes comments on this - users will be held fully responsible for what they post, and anything that we believe goes over the top will result in penalties against the user.

This isn't to discourage interaction, but to encourage responsible use of P.ie.

pjoz

Could probably rename the topic as well as it's a statement of fact where no fact has been proven. The allegation's been made, that's all. People who read something in the daily mail and then run off flailing their arms shouting about "Dis is de factz!" should be kept away from heavy machinary.
No problem if the title is edited, I only reproduced what was in the paper so I can't see too much of a problem

Ulster-Lad

I was unaware that asylum seekers were allowed to vote.

pjoz

It doesn't appear to be a duplicate post, but I would advise caution to anyone who makes comments on this - users will be held fully responsible for what they post, and anything that we believe goes over the top will result in penalties against the user.

This isn't to discourage interaction, but to encourage responsible use of P.ie.
It is rather a hot topic alright, to be approached with caution. Surprised nobody else posted it, alot asleep at the wheel to say I'm the first raising a Sunday story the following Thursday. Is it only blueshirts who read the mail?

The story has got me thinking..if a similar issue arose with respect to SF could you imagine the fallout...especially given the success of the party in the last 6 county elections, the whole democratic process would be called into question...its a good thing that FG didn't make substantial gains in the last locals, one may have to question how if this allegation is found to have substance.....ah hang on,come to thing of it they did...