At last, some numbers on unification

Mickeymac

What's required to achieve a train wreck is not what's required to achieve sucess. I think a mechanism is required to give opinion to both NI communities before Irish Unity could be achieved.

Simple....read the GFA and the 50% plus one vote that assures unity mange.

Surely you can understand that much?

callas

These figures reinforce what all but the most moronic Irish Nationalists believe (Americans who don't live in Ireland and never have etc) that Irish unity under the current circumstances will not occur. Were it to occur under the current circumstances it would be a disaster almost beyond ompare.

There seems to be three groups in The Irish Republic at present regarding this issue:

(i) True believers in Irish unity who would demand Irish unity under any and all circumstances regardless of cost and would accept Ireland burning to the ground providing it was united when incinerated. These types will do anything to achieve their goal - lieing about everything, distorting reality, even advocating violence (in some cases). I would suggest this group comprises about 10% of The Irish Republic.

(ii) The Paddys, The Top O The Day boys. These have been brain washed from birth and accept Irish Unity as some sort of add on to Irish Catholicism (which some still cling onto). They tend to believe all sorts of things and accept Irish Unity as a 'good thing'. Under the wrong circumstances, their support for Irish Unity would collapse - too late though. I would suggest this group comprises about 70% of The Irish Republic.

(iiii) The realists. These tend to include most politicions, senior civil servants, senior police and senior army, as well as the educated and sophisticated elements within Irish society. They are well aware of the horrific risks of Irish unity, especially one that did not involve majority Unionist consent. They will do all they can to prepare the ground in order to avoid anything that would severely damage The Irish State, it's economy and it's security - especially at the point of a border poll. I would suggest this group comprises 20% of The Irish Republic.

There is a large subgroup within the middle and first group who are in favour of Irish unity only as long as there is Unionist resistance. If that Unionist resistance was to vaporise tomorrow, then irish unity would be of no value to those diehard "republicans" who only want it to pyss of the prods.

Estragon

What's required to achieve a train wreck is not what's required to achieve sucess. I think a mechanism is required to give opinion to both NI communities before Irish Unity could be achieved.
No one was concerned about the views of six county Catholics at partition.

They still don't give a tinker's cuss what six county Catholics views on partition are.

We'll bring unification about ourselves, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Mickeymac

There is a large subgroup within the middle and first group who are in favour of Irish unity only as long as there is Unionist resistance. If that Unionist resistance was to vaporise tomorrow, then irish unity would be of no value to those diehard "republicans" who only want it to pyss of the prods.

And you sir/madam need to seek psychiatric help to deal with such crazy ideas.

Mickeymac

They still don't give a tinker's cuss what six county Catholics views on partition are.

We'll bring unification about ourselves, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Indeed sir.

callas

And you sir/madam need to seek psychiatric help to deal with such crazy ideas.

I can assure you that there are plenty of wee republicans up North who want unity only as long as the prods don't want it. Just to spite them. Surely you are not so naive as to not understand the importance of spite as a motivation for political aspiration in the wee North?

Mickeymac

I can assure you that there are plenty of wee republicans up North who want unity only as long as the prods don't want it. Just to spite them. Surely you are not so naive as to not understand the importance of spite as a motivation for political aspiration in the wee North?

I only do facts pal and certainly none of the shit you espouse.

Mickeymac

Indeed sir, the equivalence of partition in Ireland was some stranger taking over your home, dismissed you and your family to the shithouse.

callas

Ask the British Royals.
It is their money, more accurately, their subjects' money that requires replacement. The North is subsidised at the moment by about 80 million Brits. It is time to tap the Germans, the real Germans. There are plenty of them and they owe us.

Mickeymac

It is their money, more accurately, their subjects' money that requires replacement. The North is subsidised at the moment by about 80 million Brits. It is time to tap the Germans, the real Germans. There are plenty of them and they owe us.

Please don't bother me again with your shit and untruths now go and troll elsewhere AH.

callas

Indeed sir, the equivalence of partition in Ireland was some stranger taking over your home, dismissed you and your family to the shithouse.
Nonsense. The people living in the house could not get along so Solomon came along and partitioned it. If the loons would only die of there will be no need for the partition anymore. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen any time soon.

Ireniall

These figures reinforce what all but the most moronic Irish Nationalists believe (Americans who don't live in Ireland and never have etc) that Irish unity under the current circumstances will not occur. Were it to occur under the current circumstances it would be a disaster almost beyond ompare.

There seems to be three groups in The Irish Republic at present regarding this issue:

(i) True believers in Irish unity who would demand Irish unity under any and all circumstances regardless of cost and would accept Ireland burning to the ground providing it was united when incinerated. These types will do anything to achieve their goal - lieing about everything, distorting reality, even advocating violence (in some cases). I would suggest this group comprises about 10% of The Irish Republic.

(ii) The Paddys, The Top O The Day boys. These have been brain washed from birth and accept Irish Unity as some sort of add on to Irish Catholicism (which some still cling onto). They tend to believe all sorts of things and accept Irish Unity as a 'good thing'. Under the wrong circumstances, their support for Irish Unity would collapse - too late though. I would suggest this group comprises about 70% of The Irish Republic.

(iiii) The realists. These tend to include most politicions, senior civil servants, senior police and senior army, as well as the educated and sophisticated elements within Irish society. They are well aware of the horrific risks of Irish unity, especially one that did not involve majority Unionist consent. They will do all they can to prepare the ground in order to avoid anything that would severely damage The Irish State, it's economy and it's security - especially at the point of a border poll. I would suggest this group comprises 20% of The Irish Republic.
Right at this moment the United Kingdom is going through its final paroxysms which will likely see the end of the union and its replacement by three or perhaps four independent states on these islands. It has been preceded by an unprecedented loss of confidence in it as an entity which can provide a prosperous future for all of its constituent countries. While this has started in Scotland it seems that it is in England that the uncertainty is deepest and has provoked a rather pathetic rise in English nationalism which sees the loss of the peripheral countries as a worthwhile price to pay for leaving the EU.

The English feel that the EU has supplanted themselves as the leaders of Europe and that the European Union has supplanted their union as the primary and completely dominant one and boy do they not like that. For Scotland , Irish independence within the EU and the staggering change in fortunes which has attended that is a major driver for their move for independence most especially when they contrast this with the decades of decline which they have suffered inside the UK. Why would the Scots want two unions-would not one be enough and it's increasingly obvious which one that should be.

With the Scots and Irish preferring the continental union to their union the English are feeling resentful of everyone and they are looking back to the future to a trade deal with the US which might allow them to sleep the sleep of the saved once again but morning reality will inevitably come around and their reduced circumstances will be impossible to ignore. Even Ulster Protestants will notice it. They will never vote for unity in any numbers but by the time that all of this rubbish has run it's course there will be a Nationalist majority and most Unionists will simply breathe a sigh of relief and be glad that they have a decent way out of the UK mess

Ardillaun

Some antique lingo there. Anyway, I don’t know about the numbers but I would say there is a substantial group of uncommitted voters in something resembling (ii) that one might call the coping classes who, like their peers in Britain, are focused on getting the kids to school and paying the bills, esp. the absurd (i.e. British-level) rent/mortgage. Irish Catholicism matters a lot less than social media in their lives and politics generally, let alone UI, can only get a tiny fraction of their attention. They like the idea of UI as a concept - it does make sense for the island long-term as it did for Britain - but if it becomes an immediate possibility to vote on they will want to see more granular detail on what might happen to their taxes and the security situation.

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
What has Irish Americans and you got to do with the British NHS?

It won't be the "British NHS" after unity, it will be tacked on to the HSE.

It's likely that irish-american investors will be looking to help, and for opportunities, and obviously them taking parts of the NI-nhs has to be on the table.

Talk Back

Rubbish.

Partition has cost Ireland more than reunification ever will. You Unionists are a burden on Ireland - holding Ireland back.

The Irish Government says we can afford to reunify our country - and Ireland north and south, will be better off as a result.

Despite the initial costs, the reunification of our country is what the majority of Irish people want. Have you ever seen a poll that said otherwise???

Dail Eireann have been working on elements of a reunification paper through its 'Joint Committee on the Implementation of the Good Friday Agreement'. They produced a paper called 'Uniting Ireland & its People in Peace & Prosperity'

Listen @ 25. A leading academic suggests significant shift in the population here - are we now on the countdown to a new Ireland? @AlexKane221b and @chrisadonnelly discuss #BBCNolan

Read. http://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/joint_committee_on_the_implementation_of_the_good_friday_agreement/reports/2017/2017-08-02_brexit-and-the-future-of-ireland-uniting-ireland-and-its-people-in-peace-and-prosperity_en.pdf

A few months ago on BBC radio, Paul Gosling, an economic writer, researcher and broadcaster of some repute talked about the 6 county economic benefit following the reunification of Ireland and the ending of British rule.

Listen @ 1.46. BBC Radio Ulster - Good Morning Ulster, 13/08/2018

And here is the Paul Gosling report on the benefits of the reunification of Ireland for the 6 counties. The economic effect of an all-island economy | Paul Gosling

"This report concludes that there is a significant positive potential economic benefit from Irish reunification, particularly for the citizens of Northern Ireland. It is recommended that preparations begin now in accordance with Article 3 of the Irish constitution, as amended following the Good Friday Agreement. Progress towards achieving an all island economy should be reviewed annually by the Oireachtas."
The 'Southern Ireland' State sits atop the European growth charts, while the 'Northern Ireland' statelet is down at the bottom. EY’s Economic Eye, Winter 2017

What with Brexit and the decline of Unionism, British rule in Ireland is coming to an end - and soon. It's time for Unionists to accept their fate, and work with the rest of us to make Ireland a better place for all.

Last edited:

Talk Back

They sound very much like the kind of people that campaigned & won the Brexit referendum...
That would be the majority.

Patriotism is not about money - if patriotism was about money, Ireland would have never voted to end England's occupation in Ireland in 1918.

New Threads

Most Replies