At last, some numbers on unification

2lazy

It's not widely known, but during the second half of the 19th century, during the worst period of emigration the country has ever known, there was high immigration into Ireland from our neighbouring island. This left our cities with a around 10% English and Scottish by 1901, with the number being slightly higher in Ulster, and reaching its highest in Belfast. Much of this immigration would have been in the administrative, financial and industrial sectors, and was tied strongly to the success of the British Empire then at its height.
I suspect that this most recent phase of immigration with its close personal and economic ties to GB is in part what led to the vehemence of the Orange/protestant response to home rule and indepenence.

The failure of 1798 United Irishmen rebellion was the trigger for all of this. The Presbyterian business men who were previously a driving force for independence started to realize that the needs of the Empire would lead to a huge demand for what Belfast had to offer - they followed the money.

AhNowStop

We can keep the 1.1bn for security to pay for patrolling Loyalist area's after unity.
just give a few million to the DUP .. they'll keep the troglodytes in check if the mula keeps coming

We've all noticed how we've just had the most peaceful 12ths of July in decades due to the C&S deal with the Tories ...

Lets face it, we all know how this works

AhNowStop

The failure of 1798 United Irishmen rebellion was the trigger for all of this. The Presbyterian business men who were previously a driving force for independence started to realize that the needs of the Empire would lead to a huge demand for what Belfast had to offer - they followed the money.
And dont forget one of the main reason the hideous OO was setup in the first place was because of the trouble that had started because the British had "relaxed" a few of the penal laws which allowed Catholics to be more competitive ..
Their protestants neighbours didnt like that so trouble started ....

The OO grew out of greed, insecurity & hate and those same things are what keep it going today.

EnglishObserver

And dont forget one of the main reason the hideous OO was setup in the first place was because of the trouble that had started because the British had "relaxed" a few of the penal laws which allowed Catholics to be more competitive ..
Their protestants neighbours didnt like that so trouble started ....

The OO grew out of greed, insecurity & hate and those same things are what keep it going today.
I guess it will ultimately depend on which is the stronger emotion...

McTell

Twitter
No
oh deary me, you have an unbelievably childishly naive & simplistic view of Northern Nationalists and why we aspire to a UI ... it may be your twisted wish that we're all sitting here waiting for revenge or some such silly nonsense but Im afraid you couldnt be more wrong ... or else you are simply trolling of course..

btw, do you wish Ireland was still under British rule ? .. or maybe still in the British commonwealth ? .. what is your bit in bold getting at ?

TBH I don't mind, I'd like yez all to stop forever moaning about nothing much, and everyone sorted once and for all.

If you think it's childish to plan ahead, you are likely to be disappointed. But maybe by now you're all used to someone else making the big decisions.

AhNowStop

TBH I don't mind, I'd like yez all to stop forever moaning about nothing much, and everyone sorted once and for all.

If you think it's childish to plan ahead, you are likely to be disappointed. But maybe by now you're all used to someone else making the big decisions.
No, your silly opinion that Northern Nats have a revenge complex is childish .. btw, Im fairly sure you could have garnered that from the thread but ye obviously decided not to :rolleyes:

Having an aspiration is not moaning .. and of course planning ahead should be done .. who suggested otherwise ? .. me thinks thats all in your head .. i.e. you'd like to think we dont want to plan ahead but the vast majority of us do... IO can assure you!

Seriously, you should try and change your mindset away from where it seems to be stuck .. now I dont know what made you feel the way you do or what happened to cause it but I can assure you the vast majority or Northern Nationalists want a plan and want it done as smoothly as possible ... to keep claiming otherwise is unfounded and quite silly

And have you ever entertained the thought that maybe its you who's the moaner :unsure: .. you're constantly on here bitching about how much you dont want a UI and how much it will cost and how the poor unionists should have a veto etc.. etc... you simply cant have it both ways ole bean

btw if you want to live under British rule why are you not doing so ? ...

death or glory

I'd say the contrast in sentiments between ourselves say a lot about what is driving the respective agendas here.

You're driven by the past, pettiness, hatred, bitterness, meaness and resentment.

I'm driven by the future, love, equanimity, positivity and a desire to see all in Ireland prosper.

And that's about as neat a summary of how Irish nationalism differs from unionism as you'll ever get.
You quote bobby "dung smearer" and you think you are forward thinking and progressive.
It just shows how deluded and bigoted Eire folk actually are.

McTell

Twitter
No
No, your silly opinion that Northern Nats have a revenge complex is childish .. btw, Im fairly sure you could have garnered that from the thread but ye obviously decided not to :rolleyes:

///
Fair enough, but so many of you still have these sucky blankets, like linus in peanuts, and you have to drop that general attitude, be it green or orange. It comes across as childish and insecure. They won't be needed any more.

As you say, the old industries are gone, and we staters are not going to sponsor any multi-generational unemployed of two rust-bucket cities for the rest of all time. They had their day, and they had a lot to be proud of I'm sure, and the titanic museum is a draw.

Big changes ahead, maybe, but where's the proof that you are ready for the next steps? You need a plan.

Mickeymac

Fair enough, but so many of you still have these sucky blankets, like linus in peanuts, and you have to drop that general attitude, be it green or orange. It comes across as childish and insecure. They won't be needed any more.

As you say, the old industries are gone, and we staters are not going to sponsor any multi-generational unemployed of two rust-bucket cities for the rest of all time. They had their day, and they had a lot to be proud of I'm sure, and the titanic museum is a draw.

Big changes ahead, maybe, but where's the proof that you are ready for the next steps? You need a plan.

Are you seriously asking a Republican what his plan is and detail it to you as a unionist?

WTFU or go troll elsewhere pal.

Pyewacket

Brexit is Brexit.

Get It Done.

Barroso

Thats a very interesting theory .. Could you recommend any reading on it ?
On the numbers, the relevant censuses, which show a constant, gradual increase in English and Scottish in our cities over the course of the second half of the 19th century.
On the rest, direct observation and general reading; for instance, when I grew up there were lots of businesses with English & Scottish surnames above the doors. Then, there is a historian - Martin Maguire - who has done some research into the protestant working class in Dublin, and I think he showed that a lot of the skilled workers in Dublin were English protestants. He did an in-depth study of the Inchicore area, and found that from one census to the next many of the protestant inhabitants had left the area, and suggested that they might have returned to England.

Pyewacket

On the numbers, the relevant censuses, which show a constant, gradual increase in English and Scottish in our cities over the course of the second half of the 19th century.
On the rest, direct observation and general reading; for instance, when I grew up there were lots of businesses with English & Scottish surnames above the doors. Then, there is a historian - Martin Maguire - who has done some research into the protestant working class in Dublin, and I think he showed that a lot of the skilled workers in Dublin were English protestants. He did an in-depth study of the Inchicore area, and found that from one census to the next many of the protestant inhabitants had left the area, and suggested that they might have returned to England.
Where have all the skilled Proddies gone?

Long time passing.

Gone to England, everyone.

Long time ago.

Where have all the skilled Taigs gone?

Gone to everywhere but f*ucking Ireland.

Long time ago.

PBP voter

“Taking on such a bill would reduce permanently the standard of living in this part of the island by 15 per cent,”

Despite the precarious nature of the North’s economy and the fact its gross domestic product (GDP) per head is significantly lower than that of the Republic, citizens there enjoy a higher standard of living than those living in the South.

PBP voter

It's not widely known, but during the second half of the 19th century, during the worst period of emigration the country has ever known, there was high immigration into Ireland from our neighbouring island. This left our cities with a around 10% English and Scottish by 1901, with the number being slightly higher in Ulster, and reaching its highest in Belfast. Much of this immigration would have been in the administrative, financial and industrial sectors, and was tied strongly to the success of the British Empire then at its height.
I suspect that this most recent phase of immigration with its close personal and economic ties to GB is in part what led to the vehemence of the Orange/protestant response to home rule and indepenence.
A lot were solidiers.

Most scum that live in the rough parts of Dublin are the descendants of British solidiers.

Same in towns like Mullingar,Athlone,Clonmel etc.

New Threads

Most Replies