At what age today does an Irish Person become an adult?

General Urko

I was going to school by myself at 6 years old, but todays kids, who seem to stay on at school until they are 19, are pampered to such an extent, its extemely difficult to see them as adults before they are about 25!
BTW Im very well aware that many in this parish are at a level here hey shouldnt be let outside their fronbt doors and despite their chronological ages, certainly cannot be considered adults!

ger12

I've a 19 year old, she's only now finding her feet.

Yeh ... I may have over did it :|

Dame_Enda

Legally its 18

Edit meant to type 18 :roll:

danger here

For the record, it's not unusual for German "kids" to be finishing their degree when they are 30. One of my former colleagues told me he only enrolled in unis for the cheap public transport. At the other end, my wife's godson is ten and his mother has to go everywhere with him. Even playing with friends at home, he has to be in the same room as her. The world is fücked.

danger here

That's sick. Really.
Reminds me of an old sick joke... how young is not too young... when she's old enough to crawl into position.. :shock:

Dame_Enda

I do think though that some children mature faster than others.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
73 ...risen to that figure since the end of the Emergency ..... :rolleyes:

GDPR

Legally - when the relevant law says.

Emotionally - judging by posters on here ..... umm ....

dizillusioned

It literally depends on the parents IMHO.

I was working at the age of 10 I was independent by the time I was 16.

I see friends and their kids now who are not working and have no intention of working and they are in their late 20s. Most still expect Mammy and Daddy to support them, feed them and serve them do their washing.... makes me damned angry.

I have other friends who's kids have been working with their parents all the lives (much as I did) who are articulate, work hard and seem to be more adjusted to life than those above.

I always made my own work and respect work and try to be as independent as he could be. He never got what he wanted and had to save and spend his own money for what he wanted... it seems to have stood him in good standing.

Technically adulthood begins at 18, yet I know 15 year olds who are wise and worldly and 30 year olds who are still acting like children.

Rural

"All grown ups were once children, but only few remember it." The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry,

Sadly!

*EPIC SUCCESS*

It does appear that the juvenile period is extending - on one hand, that could be a good thing for future generations because the longer you push out adolescents and in turn, raise the child bearing age, the longer a species will live for, on another, there are already too many people and longer lifespans mean faster increasing populations.

You can literally engineer longer life spans. The problem is, you will have these overgrown man/women children still living at home in their 40's.

General Urko

There was aN NUIG Psychology Lecturer being interviewed recently on Newstalk, I forget the topic, but she referred to her students as 'emerging adults' from 18 to 29! BTW I was 17 when I started in UCG as it was and almost all my fellow students were the same age.

New Threads

Most Replies