• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Attempted Murder in Derry

Cruimh

BBC News - Man injured after being struck by lit petrol bomb

Two youths smashed a window of a house at Ben Varden Avenue, in the Waterside, at about 23:10 BST on Friday and threw the bomb inside.
All credit to the neighbours who risked their lives to save the man. No idea of the motive, but an outrageous attack and hopefully the perpetrators will be caught and spend a long time behind bars.

SDLP Councillor Gerry Diver went to the scene shortly after the attack.

"Ben Varden Avenue is a row of terrace houses, this incident could have been much more serious as a fire in one property could have easily spread to the adjacent properties on the street," he said.

"Petrol bombs are lethal weapons. If it hadn't been for the swift actions of this gentleman's neighbours, we could have been dealing with a tragedy," Mr Diver added.
Petrol bombs are indeed lethal weapons - and some of us remember argument as to whether or not people throwing petrol bombs at riots should be shot.

InsideImDancing

So should petrol bombers be shot in your opinion?

rmn640

So should petrol bombers be shot in your opinion?
It can be argued that they are indeed a lethal weapon, but then so too are other objects. Get hit with masonry, a brick, golf ball or a bottle to the head and it can be equally as lethal depending on weight and speed.

Do you shoot them too?

Sync

Yes if it's in an effort to stop criminals from taking actions which place others in danger.

DT123

If it were made quite clear that petrol bombers would be shot,there would be no more trouble from petrol bombers ,simple.

Swords Hoopster

If in the act of throwing one - yes. No hesitation.
And that really would help the situation :roll:

If the FLEGGERS started chucking petrol bombs and a couple of them were shot dead, the whole thing could explode into something really bad. Containment and cool heads must prevail.

Could you imagine what would happen if Cruimh and DT were in Command? Heaven help us.

Just Jack

Another deceitful OP from Cookie Crums.

If you can see past (and it’s not difficult) the faux concern, what he’s really saying is, it was ok for the British military and RUC to murder people during street protests in the six counties. Hence the random 'should be shot' comment which was totally unnecessary and completely irrelevant to the plight of the man who was injured in Derry.

InsideImDancing

It is true that people would stop using petrol bombs overnight if you started shooting them, problem is, they would replace them with assault rifles.

If you start shooting at people who are throwing petrol bombs for whatever reason, they are going to start shooting back, that's a fact.

See Northern Ireland Troubles for reference. :)

InsideImDancing

It can be argued that they are indeed a lethal weapon, but then so too are other objects. Get hit with masonry, a brick, golf ball or a bottle to the head and it can be equally as lethal depending on weight and speed.

Do you shoot them too?
No, only a moron would advocate the shooting down of stone throwers and petrols bombers in a 21st century western democracy.

Ren84

Another deceitful OP from Cookie Crums.

If you can see past (and it’s not difficult) the faux concern, what he’s really saying is, it was ok for the British military and RUC to murder people during street protests in the six counties. Hence the random 'should be shot' comment which was totally unnecessary and completely irrelevant to the plight of the man who was injured in Derry.
Pretty vile comment alright. Note the deathly silence from the British ultra nationalist when his own ill educated lot rioted over a feking tatty flag of GB. A hypocrite, as well as a nasty apologist for British Army/UVF murder gangs.

rmn640

No, only a moron would advocate the shooting down of stone throwers and petrols bombers in a 21st century western democracy.
I understand the need to make it clear that winging petrol bombs and debris at people isn't acceptable and can be deadly, and that consequences for such should be very serious

But it depends if one is of the opinion that the long term gain of rioters being less likely to petrol bomb out of fear of being shot is worth the shorter term mayhem that would erupt should a bunch of people be shot dead for it.

vinoboy

Pretty vile comment alright. Note the deathly silence from the British ultra nationalist when his own ill educated lot rioted over a feking tatty flag of GB. A hypocrite, as well as a nasty apologist for British Army/UVF murder gangs.
Sounding more like Global Tosspot every day .........hmmmmm.

Cruimh

Looking for another ban Ren ? :D

Noted the lack of condemnation for the murderous attack - presumably you are trying to work out the "colours" of the victim and attackers......

InsideImDancing

There is a difference between throwing a stone and a Petrol bomb ..... can you work it out?
Yes, just as quickly as I worked out your OP Cruimh.

How many dead as a direct result of petrol bombs? What's the ratio? One in a trillion?

InsideImDancing

I understand the need to make it clear that winging petrol bombs and debris at people isn't acceptable and can be deadly, and that consequences for such should be very serious

But it depends if one is of the opinion that the long term gain of rioters being less likely to petrol bomb out of fear of being shot is worth the shorter term mayhem that would erupt should a bunch of people be shot dead for it.
I don't see any long term gain tbh, It would lead to absolute mayhem and it would be dropped, pronto. :)

Can you imagine the reaction if a a flag protester was shot dead? It doesn't bear thinking about.

rmn640

I don't see any long term gain tbh, It would lead to absolute mayhem and it would be dropped, pronto. :)

Can you imagine the reaction if a a flag protester was shot dead? It doesn't bair thinking about.
I agree with you, I don't believe shooting is appropriate. But I can see the direction Cruimh and DT are coming from, even if I disagree

Petrol bombers, from what I've seen, tend mingle with regular rioters and protesters. You'd need a sharpshooter to take them out.
The risk of stray bullets hitting others is far too great, and we all know where that could lead

Drogheda445

Looking for another ban Ren ? :D

Noted the lack of condemnation for the murderous attack - presumably you are trying to work out the "colours" of the victim and attackers......
Not that I completely agreee with him, but I don't think there was anything banable in his post (in terms of name-calling, that is).