• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Attorney General "will only seek to build on his growing ego" - Ian Og.

Figaroni

BBC NI programme 'The View' has seen a confidential letter sent by Ian Paisley Jr to the first minister in 2009.

In it, Ian Paisley urged Mr Robinson not to give Mr Larkin the job saying they would be "mad to make this appointment".

He warned the first minister that an attorney general had to be, "someone whom you must implicitly trust and who you know, once appointed, will be difficult to remove".

Mr Paisley also wrote: "I think the government should steer away from appointing this controversial personality, who will only seek to build on his growing ego to the detriment of the government, and dare I suggest, the personal embarrassment of ministers not least yourself."

The politician, who was a DUP MLA at the time, told the first minister that he should consider other people for the position.

"There are numerous other safer candidates, not least for us as a party that I believe we ought to consider. You may be aware of the fact that Mr Larkin unfortunately has form regarding his misconduct," Mr Paisley said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20344536
Paisley warning Robinson about someone being egotistic is priceless.

C

Castle Ray

Paisley (a megalo egotistical family of gargantuan proportions) has a point in fairness. An Attorney General with an already large but growing ego is worse than a Politician with one. Politicians all have egos and they are easier sacked. The roles are completely different and an AG shouldn't be like that.

J

Johnny Boy

Paisley (a megalo egotistical family of gargantuan proportions) has a point in fairness. An Attorney General with an already large but growing ego is worse than a Politician with one. Politicians all have egos and they are easier sacked. The roles are completely different and an AG shouldn't be like that.
Attorney Generals are quasi-political anyway. Larkin had been a member of Alliance afaik. According to Larkin's Wiki entry he is the only AG inWestminster or Stormont history not to have been a currently sitting politician in either House. He has a huge ego, but then most lawyers have.

Paddyc

Paisley is just throwing his rattle out of the pram because Larkin ripped into him in 2005 (I think).

Paisely complained about a comment Larkin passed about him and then said Larkin was unfit to be AG because there had been a complaint made against him.

Sync

Paisley warning Robinson about someone being egotistic is priceless.
I quite liked the bit about him being a "Controversial personality". The ironing is delicious.