• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Auctioneers to discount farmhouse values by 50% for property tax

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I see this reported on the Facebook page of the Farming Independent ... following on what Michael Healy Rae has been saying in the media over the past week or so...

But seemingly auctioneering organisations have made statements suggesting they intend to write down the value of farmhouses for property tax by "at least 50%"...

How do you think this will go down with the hundreds of thousands of urban householders who may be levied hundreds of pounds per year in property tax because of the area they live in.. while a farmer is paying the absolute minimum even if they are living in a huge house and sitting on millions of euro's worth of land

(I know not all farms are worth millions.. but some will be)

Farmhouse tax clash... | Facebook

Tin Foil Hat

It's just another reason why the property tax is essentially absurd.
Unique houses are unvaluable, especially in the current climate. Pick a number from the sky and go with it.

D

Deleted member 17573

I see this reported on the Facebook page of the Farming Independent ... following on what Michael Healy Rae has been saying in the media over the past week or so...

But seemingly auctioneering organisations have made statements suggesting they intend to write down the value of farmhouses for property tax by "at least 50%"...

How do you think this will go down with the hundreds of thousands of urban householders who may be levied hundreds of pounds per year in property tax because of the area they live in.. while a farmer is paying the absolute minimum even if they are living in a huge house and sitting on millions of euro's worth of land

The question is what do they mean by a 50% writedown, 50% on what? If they are suggesting that farmhouses need to be revalued in line with the general fall in property prices, that figure would be about right. However, if it is a tax evasion measure based on understating the true current value of the property, that would be a different matter.
I don't think the land value is an issue - unless it's sold for purposes other than agriculture.

Mr. Bumble

Hopefully the media will launch a name and shame campaign wrt the auctioneers. Easy to do, just ferret out recent land and house sales in the area and do a comparison. Then put the auctioneer's name beside the two figures.

jo9jo

If all property is undervalues in order to avoid paying high property tax then how is the property market ever going to recover ?

regnal gib 1

Fine Gael: looks like that old saying the party of 'big farmers and Merchants' is holding true. Next on FG/Labour agenda will be a write down on mansions for the wealthy, how will they get around that? Listed houses exempt?

regnal gib 1

There has been lots of animals relocated from regeneration areas into rented properties owned by FG/FF/Labour landlords, in my area. Will we get a write down because of this???

John Deere 5820

The one day of the week there is something worth reading in the indo and this ************************ will be in it tomorrow.
Personally I don’t agree with this and had intended to pay my property tax as directed

GDPR

so are auctioneers saying they will engage in tax evasion whereby the price someone offers is declared at 50% off ? isnt it great of our media to report this so that no farmer has to directly ask them to be dodgy but can expect it instead. So will they do this for the rest of us too? Finally property prices will get back to ''normal'' so ? ;)

neveragain

Putting a property tax on a farm-house will be a real live mine-field.
It will be argued that it is a business premises, a place where the planning of and the day to day running of the farm is carried out, not to mention the paper work for all the various grants has to be done. :lol:

John Deere 5820

It will be argued that it is a business premises, a place where the planning of and the day to day running of the farm is carried out, not to mention the paper work for all the various grants has to be done. :lol:
there is more paper work that the ''grant'' forms

Good so its business rates then..............

You really hadn't thought that through, did you ?

nonpartyboy

The govt is stealing your property, all's fair in love and war......for as long as i'm working (20 years) you paid paye/prsi on your wages and vat/excise on your purchases and that funded the country.

Those in power bankrupted the country and suddenly,we have to listen to all sorts of ************************e about how we have to pay for local services/water/refuse etc etc.

Absolutely fine, but when does my taxes going to central govt reduce, just like they have reduced funding to local govt.

oggy

Did I get something wrong ? My understanding is the property tax is residential so cannot see how farmland or private houses built on land that one has combined commercial/private house use

Tea Party Patriot

Hopefully the media will launch a name and shame campaign wrt the auctioneers. Easy to do, just ferret out recent land and house sales in the area and do a comparison. Then put the auctioneer's name beside the two figures.
Very few farm houses are alike, some are listed, some are old and damp, other are newly built or renovated, but very rarely are any two the same. Also quite often they tend to be sold with the land so they are nearly impossible to actually value.

Also even where the farmers heir builds a new house to live in while the parents are alive it is quite often that house and not the farm house that will be sold off the property after their departure.

APettigrew92

Fine Gael: looks like that old saying the party of 'big farmers and Merchants' is holding true. Next on FG/Labour agenda will be a write down on mansions for the wealthy, how will they get around that? Listed houses exempt?
It to this day baffles me as to how Farmers carry so much sway as a pressure group.

One hundred years ago when we were a backward, agricultural nation? That made sense at the time. Maybe.

But now? Apart from the laughable means testing for the sons and daughters of Farmers which usually equate to the American equivalent of a "free ride" i.e. free Rent on Campus and University Fees Paid (which by these days standards save you about €8,000 if you take UCD Belfield as an example), not to mention the constant arguments over the Septic Tank charges. Now the Big Farmers can't even pay the same property tax? I realize not every farmer is a "Big Farmer", but most still in Business get some kind of Income. Not to mention the CAP.

If that article is true it is only going to cause more enmity between Urban and Rural populations. Surely this a defunct demography to try entice anyways? How does Agricultural Output compare to Tertiary Services carried out in the Cities?

Mr. Bumble

Very few farm houses are alike, some are listed, some are old and damp, other are newly built or renovated, but very rarely are any two the same. Also quite often they tend to be sold with the land so they are nearly impossible to actually value.

Also even where the farmers heir builds a new house to live in while the parents are alive it is quite often that house and not the farm house that will be sold off the property after their departure.
There will still have to be a fair tax imposed that includes the value of the site that it is built on. If my urban house is going to be valued without discount then farmers' houses will also have to be valued fairly and without discount. If there are two houses on the farm then two houses must be taxed.

Clanrickard

Did I get something wrong ? My understanding is the property tax is residential so cannot see how farmland or private houses built on land that one has combined commercial/private house use
You have an FF avatar so of course you got plenty wrong. Even if your property is on a commercial site it is liable for property tax.