• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Auschwitz 'Arbeit Macht Frei' sign stolen

CookieMonster

Infamous iron sign over gate to Auschwitz memorial site with cynical phrase 'Work Sets You Free' unscrewed, pulled off

Thieves on Friday stole the notorious metal sign hanging over the entrance of the former Nazi death camp of Auschwitz that reads "Arbeit macht frei" ("Work makes free"), police said.

Auschwitz 'Arbeit Macht Frei' sign stolen - Israel News, Ynetnews

reknaw

There are people who would steal the cross off an ass's back.:mad: A few years ago, the television aerial was stolen off my house in Laois.:mad::mad:

The Field Marshal

If Aushwitz was razed to the ground none of these problems would arise.

katy brock

There are people who would steal the cross off an ass's back.:mad: A few years ago, the television aerial was stolen off my house in Laois.:mad::mad:
I wouldn't have thought this was done by petty thieves or scrap iron merchants. Something more sinister here, I'd imagine.
This thing would impossible to sell (too hard to conceal).

Maybe the Israelis have nicked it.
Or Neo-Nazis.

H.R. Haldeman

Without doubt, Arbeit Macht Frei is the creepiest joke in history. What kind of sick fks were these people? (Erm, rhetorical question obv!).

liamfoley

There are occasional outbreaks of anti-Semitic acts in Europe, graffiti on gravestones etc, but this is something new.

jcdf

I wouldn't have thought this was done by petty thieves or scrap iron merchants. Something more sinister here, I'd imagine.

Or Neo-Nazis.
It would not be impossible to sell. And given some of the fruit cakes out there with bucket loads of money selling would not be impossible. Most likely the thieves were hired by some rich person to steal it and organized the whole crime in meticulous detail before hand.
Hiding it would be difficult for the average Joe pickpocket but not for a group well prepared.

katy brock

It would not be impossible to sell. And given some of the fruit cakes out there with bucket loads of money selling would not be impossible. Most likely the thieves were hired by some rich person to steal it and organized the whole crime in meticulous detail before hand.
Hiding it would be difficult for the average Joe pickpocket but not for a group well prepared.
True enough, but what would be the point having it if you couldn't display it?
I reckon it's buried somewhere and there will be a ransom demand.

muzzylogik

Or Neo-Nazis.
Aren't they one and the same Katy? Seriously though, first we have the staged protest in Moldovia and now this - it seems some people relish victimhood.

jcdf

True enough, but what would be the point having it if you couldn't display it?
I reckon it's buried somewhere and there will be a ransom demand.
Stephen McQueen did not display the stuff he stole in the movie The Thomas Crown Affair. Not all rich nut jobs are interested in showing off to their friends.

marmurr1916

A disgraceful desecration.

It could have been done by members of the League of Polish Families or their 'youth wing', All-Polish Youth, or some other nutjobs.

katy brock

I'm beginning to like my own ransom theory.
Why pick something so heavy and awkward though?

In an Irish context, what could be easily swiped, hidden and returned for a hefty fee?

I'm thinking 'the book of Kells".

The 'Sam McGuire' or 'Liam McCarthy' cups?

Bill Cullen's wig?

Food for thought indeed.

Twin Towers

A disgraceful desecration.

It could have been done by members of the League of Polish Families or their 'youth wing', All-Polish Youth, or some other nutjobs.
Most likely done by you to blame them. Could just picture you lugging the thing around in the snow by moonlight.

CookieMonster

Most likely done by you to blame them. Could just picture you lugging the thing around in the snow by moonlight.
Very hard for him to do it while also carrying that chip on his shoulder as well.

EvotingMachine0197

Infamous iron sign over gate to Auschwitz memorial site with cynical phrase 'Work Sets You Free' unscrewed, pulled off

Thieves on Friday stole the notorious metal sign hanging over the entrance of the former Nazi death camp of Auschwitz that reads "Arbeit macht frei" ("Work makes free"), police said.

Auschwitz 'Arbeit Macht Frei' sign stolen - Israel News, Ynetnews
Not clear if the entire steel frame was taken or just the text portion ?? Presumably it was the whole thing as it looked like a welded fabrication.

Either way it is another sickening desecration of a hugely important historical symbol for millions of people. It was a very cynical message at the time, but it took on a far greater meaning since the war. It was a focal point for remembrance.

The crucifix was cynical too.

'orebel

marmurr1916

I'm sure you can picture all sorts of weird ******************** in your paranoid little mind.

Try not to share them here though.