Austerity, a lost decade, and perspective

HarshBuzz

unemployed in the med is kind of not much worse than a ************************ job in ireland
I must ask some of the young Italians in my workplace what they think of that one.

Analyzer

No. It has been a fantastic decade.

thanks Taxpayers !!!

xennial

Twitter
No
I must ask some of the young Italians in my workplace what they think of that one.
their dole is less than here, i believe, but if i had say 120 euros a week in italy, itd be bearable.... their problem is globalisation like for everyone else. until europe becomes or rebecomes the loosish group of regionalised mini oligopolies spread in clusters of 2-4 countries a turn, we're ************************************ and china gets a middle class.

Pizza Man

Yes he made some very intelligent points and I would recommend reading his post.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I shall read it presently.

Eventualities

You were very crass and brash and ************************************g fixated on xbox and jackass.
1) Videogames were beginning to surpass film and telly as the secondary pop-cultural concern to music, in fairness.

2) Jackass to me was just part of Monday night comedy on RTE - I'd acquired a taste for grunge ten years after the fact via unrelated influences. It took discovering local music to bring me up to date/out of the 27 Club, rock-mythos fantasyland.

Eventualities

I'd like to see what the OP regards as a realistic alternative government that would effectively tackle all these issues?
Not throwing billions of our money at rich people would be a start.

Eventualities

The OP is a bit of a rant and lacks perspective.
It comes from my experience of working my arse off to get nowhere, in a country that rewards old folks for ****ing up.

This country has a very high level of per capita income relative to the rest of the world.
Costs of living, however, have also not been kept in check.

That is despite the fact that it suffered a spectacular bankruptcy in 2010.
*We* didn't suffer a bankruptcy, the elites made a bags of it and made us pay for it via their buddies. As someone that was a child during the Tiger, it wasn't me borrowing ten grand to put up some decking and head out to Amsterdam for a weekend. But it'll be me paying the interest on those debts.

The reason the country went bankrupt was that one political grouping had been in virtually unchallenged power and had been re-elected at successive elections for years.
Correct. They're still unchallenged, because FF, FG, Labour and Greens are all just kit changes for the same team.

The OP is part of that agenda.
Please to explain - again, it wasn't me going into banks and borrowing for stupid reasons, or voting FF for that matter.

HarshBuzz

Not throwing billions of our money at rich people would be a start.
That's not an answer.

Which putative alternative government will deliver unto you the policies you so deeply crave?

Eventualities

Thatcher wanted to see working people being more successful (wealth ownership, lifestyle, reproductive success, health, vehicle ownership, consumption levels ) than the unemployed.
Creating mass unemployment and privatising anything that moved was a funny way to do that.

Eventualities

That's not an answer.

Which putative alternative government will deliver unto you the policies you so deeply crave?
A left-wing coalition, built over a period of time, granted, would do phenomenally in this country. People are tired of being done over repeatedly.

For that to happen, though, there would need to be Nights of the Long Knives within Labour and the Greens.

HarshBuzz

A left-wing coalition, built over a period of time, granted, would do phenomenally in this country. People are tired of being done over repeatedly.

For that to happen, though, there would need to be Nights of the Long Knives within Labour and the Greens.
Oh, so something that is politically unrealistic. Damn, and there was I thinking you had answers. :p

Eventualities

Oh, so something that is politically unrealistic. Damn, and there was I thinking you had answers. :p
Austerity was socially unviable and yet they ploughed ahead with it. Realism and viability are apparently out the window.

shiel

In 2010 the government was spending 103bn and taking in 53 bn.

That was spectacularly unviable.

Austerity was inevitable.

The reason why the figures were so bad in 2010 was that in the pre-2009 period both government expenditure and bank lending tripled.

That was unviable.

The last thing we want to do is ************************************g repeat that irresponsibility.

bokuden

Completely agree.

Eventualities

In 2010 the government was spending 103bn and taking in 53 bn.

That was spectacularly unviable.

Austerity was inevitable.

The reason why the figures were so bad in 2010 was that in the pre-2009 period both government expenditure and bank lending tripled.

That was unviable.

The last thing we want to do is ************************************g repeat that irresponsibility.
Make the banks suffer, then, not the generations to follow.

bokuden

Make the banks suffer, then, not the generations to follow.
First we were ruled by the Brits, then the church and now the banks, all enabled by the gombeen landowner classes.

Eventualities

Completely agree.
Like... in our heart of hearts... no-one wants a fractured left, especially the way we have now. There are good, good people in the austerity left, too, who are just naive enough to think they can effect change from within as those parties stand presently, instead of joining a new party and helping shunt the austerity crowds to the sidelines.

The Yes campaign was a good sign of what could happen when civil co-operation took place. The infighting has of course resumed and those rifts won't be healed any time soon, and that's sad.

It's sad that Labour and the Greens officially have no contrition for what they did to us, it's sad that their trenches will be strewn with good people of all ages, dying of exhaustion from going nowhere over the next generation or so. It's sad that they won't forcibly eject the corrupt and out-of-touch at the top. It's sad that we can't come together and mount a challenge to the orthodoxy and finally force the right in this country to the back foot.

General Urko

Austerity is quite simply the closet thing a Government can come to committing an act of genocide against its own people, realistically in the modern world!
The days when they could load people on to cattle trucks and pack them off to gas chambers are not really practicable, these days!

General Urko

At the end of the day, you have to notice something seriously wrong when when austerity is apparently over, most of the richest people before it are far wealthier now while the folk who have to pay for them are far poorer!
Austerity is just a massive genocidal level con job implemented by the great and the good to protect the wealthiest people against everyone else!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom