• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Austerity, what austerity ? 50 extra councillors to be added in Dublin for €1m per annum

Wakeupcall

Eat them horses, distract yourself with the proteins. Run along with the rest of the herds.

Oh wait?....

Well anyways, my tax money gotta be spended (citation needed)

EmmettTCorcoran

Hey, don't knock that deal... It's value if ya ask me- 50 guys full time, oh wait part time? Oh well it still pretty good, they get lots done... Oh what, they don't... It's a talking shop, huh what ya know... Anyway, the country has loads of revenue, we won't miss a million, whats that, we have no money, and we could really do with more efficiency and less of this craic... Ah shure we'll be grand! What? We fecked... Oh well :p (Satirical)

H.R. Haldeman

What people call "austerity" is actually:

1. Unemployment

2. Debt

There are exceptions - such as carers - for whom specific instances of austerity might indeed bring on hardship.

But for the vast, vast majority of people who are blaming "austerity" for their financial woes, they are actually suffering from a lack of a job and/or too much debt.

A €10 cut in CA is not enough to drive many families over the edge, UNLESS there is no income and/or too much debt also present. It is understandable that people would blame the cut - the austerity - when this pinch comes on, but it is only the proximate reason for their troubles, not the core one.

At least, that's my theory.

cllr

What is very clear from this and many other posts on Politics.ie is how few posters know anything about Local Government

thegregster

What is very clear from this and many other posts on Politics.ie is how few posters know anything about Local Government
I think the mahon and other tribunals gave most people a good insight.

EmmettTCorcoran

Don't get me wrong here, I understand that local govt. plays an important role in our system of govt. If we want constant access to our political system we require representation, I agree cllr's are needed, but honestly 50 more? I find it hard to believe that's needed? I might be wrong?
(I was being doubly ironic in what I was saying above)

cllr

There will be approximately 700 less Councillors than at present under the proposals announced by the Minister.

As for Mahibn etc there were ( I think about 15 Councillors implicated ) 15 too many I would stress out of the thousands of people who had served as Councillors over that period. There were a few Officials mentioned too.

curiousorange

Do these councillors get big pensions?
Because if not, they are much less a drain on this and future generations that those safely ensconced in safe numbers in various public bodies and quangos who will have the taxpayer paying for a very cushy life.
At least you can vote a councilor out.

Rocky

This type of action is what brings politics into disrepute:
Adding 50 councillors for Dublin to cost €1m - The Irish Times - Wed, Feb 06, 2013

Surely this money could be better spent elsewhere ? Also of course sitting councillors will love it as it makes re election way easier !

cYp
Hogan is finally making the number of Cllrs an area has proportional to it's population. Up to this point Dublin has been massively underrepresented, so to correct this, despite the fact that the number of Cllrs is falling, the number in Dublin is increasing.

The other options were keep Dublin underrepresented or cut even more Cllrs and an awful lot of Cllrs are being cut and to balance it an awful lot more Cllrs would need to be cut.

Ryan Tubbs

Of course, this article takes no account of the fact that - in total - about 400 councillors are being gotten rid of nationwide.

I wonder what that's saving? And I wonder why our trashy media didn't report that?

hammer

No pensions for councillors.

Dont they get large pay offs when they aren`t re-elected ?

im axeled

Of course, this article takes no account of the fact that - in total - about 400 councillors are being gotten rid of nationwide.

I wonder what that's saving? And I wonder why our trashy media didn't report that?[/QU
it has been well reported and longed for, the 400 have not been got rid of, as they will be very well paid off, not rid off.

cllr

No pensions for councillors.

Dont they get large pay offs when they aren`t re-elected ?
There is a payment of I think about E3,200 per annum seved since 2000 ( years before that are not so calculated). I am not hoping to avail of it soon. It is subject to tax at normal rates as far as I know. This is payable only after the age of 50 and a minimum of two years must be served before you become eligible. This was introduced by Noel Dempsey in lieu of a pension and recognizing that increasingly a lot of Councillors are full time.

The OD

There will be approximately 700 less Councillors than at present under the proposals announced by the Minister.

As for Mahibn etc there were ( I think about 15 Councillors implicated ) 15 too many I would stress out of the thousands of people who had served as Councillors over that period. There were a few Officials mentioned too.
15 were implicated because there was sufficient evidence. We will never know the full extent. Needless to say, I am well aware of the function of councillors and I still believe there are far too many overall and they cost way too much.

cllr

Ireland has the lowest number of Councillors per head of population of any country in the European Union

Barroso

I wonder what that's saving? And I wonder why our trashy media didn't report that?
it has been well reported and longed for, the 400 have not been got rid of, as they will be very well paid off, not rid off.
Back in the 1920s when FG (ie Cumann na nGaedhal) got rid of loads more.
They permanently got rid of hundreds of Rural District councils, and regularly closed down other councils for longish periods.
The Blueshirts were no aberration: CnaG and their present-day incarnation are no great lovers of democracy.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies