• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Austerity - Whats your problem ? You voted for it !!!

wedwood

As someone who didn't vote for parties who supported Austerity, I have to admit, I find it baffling (and ironic) that while the vast majority of people think Austerity isn't working, they still voted in greater numbers for political parties who support Austerity policies.

When you consider the recent polls which shows that 65%+ of Irish people still support centre right parties who have and continue to campaign on a pro-austerity platform, why do those voters then go on to complain when their chosen party (currently FG) implement the policies that they voted for ?

Those of us who campaigned for the removal of the bank debt from the Irish people lost the last election to those of you who voted in a FG manifesto which included a promise that 'we wont default on the bank debt and will pay back every cent of the circa €64 billion (of then other people's money).

As we know, FG then went on to negotiate a deal which permanently left us with other peoples losses (aka bank debt) for decades to come, thus guaranteeing years if not decades of Austerity to come, which includes tax hikes, service cuts etc. etc...

Anyway, why after you voted in FG (or likely FF next time) do you then go on to complain when the policies you voted in get implemented ??????

General Urko

I didn't vote for it!

CarnivalOfAction

As someone who didn't vote for parties who supported Austerity, I have to admit, I find it baffling (and ironic) that while the vast majority of people think Austerity isn't working, they still voted in greater numbers for political parties who support Austerity policies.

When you consider the recent polls which shows that 65%+ of Irish people still support centre right parties who have and continue to campaign on a pro-austerity platform, why do those voters then go on to complain when their chosen party (currently FG) implement the policies that they voted for ?

Those of us who campaigned for the removal of the bank debt from the Irish people lost the last election to those of you who voted in a FG manifesto which included a promise that 'we wont default on the bank debt and will pay back every cent of the circa €64 billion (of then other people's money).

As we know, FG then went on to negotiate a deal which permanently left us with other peoples losses (aka bank debt) for decades to come, thus guaranteeing years if not decades of Austerity to come, which includes tax hikes, service cuts etc. etc...

Anyway, why after you voted in FG (or likely FF next time) do you then go on to complain when the policies you voted in get implemented ??????
Agree with you re FF & FG; what would you expect from the banksters' chums. I voted left & gave a preference to Labour & that's where I have a problem. Gilmore said Labour's Way Not Frankfurt's Way but went on to FFaithFFully implement FF's FFailed austerity plan.

BlackLion

The problem with austerity in Ireland is that there is no alternatives to it at the moment.

FG/lab/FF impose the cuts and tax rises cause they are told to do it by the ECB and anyone with a brain cell can see past SF/ULA populist "we are a real alternative" crap.

An economy is like a big wheel. it will take a hell of a push to get it going but once it gets going, the momentum well get it thru most obstacles. (the 2008 credit crunch was a big fecking obstacles tbf) now that it has stopped the government in all their infinite wisdom believe that positivity and pushing the wheel from both directs will work. the sad part is that it wont and it will take years for the economy to improve the lives of most people it has effected. The economy might be improving now but Irish society is dying and the government are lucky that a lot of young people have left.

Politics is brain dead in Ireland, no one on this site can tell me a party that will help Ireland to heal and not just place a plaster on it and act like nothing has happened.

off with their heads

Hiding or some underling apparatchik will be around any minute now giving it the old rhetoric about magic money trees and fairytail economics they have reverted completely to type at this stage and are more tired than the policies their economic illiterates are implementing in government

off with their heads

it will be interesting to see how Ben Gilroy polls in meath east very transfer friendly good performance here could see Ben take a seat here next general

BlackLion

it will be interesting to see how Ben Gilroy polls in meath east very transfer friendly good performance here could see Ben take a seat here next general
DDI are just like the greens. they are really a one issue party and sadly will crumble when it comes going up against the main parties.

JCR

The people pretending we could unilaterally just default on the bank debt and start again were talking rubbish. Look at Greece and Cyprus. We still have stability here and now have growth here. Furthermore we are still in the position where we can continue to work on a deals and debt, ongoing. Furthermore still, anyone who thought we could just default on the bank debt and not have even worse 'austerity' was selling a populist nonsense to ostriches.

BlackLion

She was the lesser of nine evils and her party opposed the bailouts. It was that or spoil my vote.
opposing the bail is populist shi*e tbh. opposing the bailout and giving a alternative would be worth vote.

It really shows how bad politics is in Ireland when the best you can vote for is Claire Daly. :(

D

Deleted member 34656

The people pretending we could unilaterally just default on the bank debt and start again were talking rubbish. Look at Greece and Cyprus. We still have stability here and now have growth here. Furthermore we are still in the position where we can continue to work on a deals and debt, ongoing. Furthermore still, anyone who thought we could just default on the bank debt and not have even worse 'austerity' was selling a populist nonsense to ostriches.
Maybe. Maybe not.

Still, even if the non-defaulters 'won', they surely must at least acknowledge that the strength of the opposition helped negotiations in a pretty big way.

BlackLion

like it or not Greek rioters and the Spanish and Italian leaders have done more for Ireland in better deals than our so called leader have ever done.

stopdoingstuff

opposing the bail is populist shi*e tbh. opposing the bailout and giving a alternative would be worth vote.

It really shows how bad politics is in Ireland when the best you can vote for is Claire Daly. :(
Yeah I know. Politics is truly messed up because I actually support austerity but would have liked to seen it extended to all classes of investors instead of just on citizens. So to express my discontent with how things were done, I had to vote for someone that I do not agree with on 7 issues out of ten.

JCR

like it or not Greek rioters and the Spanish and Italian leaders have done more for Ireland in better deals than our so called leader have ever done.
Idle conjecture with no basis in fact, like it or not.

JCR

Maybe. Maybe not.

Still, even if the non-defaulters 'won', they surely must at least acknowledge that the strength of the opposition helped negotiations in a pretty big way.
I really can't see that anyone really believes that a threat to default would have helped anyone at all. Its just a poker play when the other people know you are bluffing, see Greece, Italy, Spain, Cyprus.

D

Deleted member 34656

Idle conjecture with no basis in fact, like it or not.
Come on, surely you must have some, even idle, interest in how all those no's became yes's?

Things fairly rolled on once the yes's were counted, what?

Popular Threads

Most Replies