• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Australia apologises

Carl Claudius

I see the Australia prime minister has finally apologised for state sanctioned kidnapping of Aborigine children. they were taken from their parents to be raised by white families. A little know act of racism. 250,000 kids suffered from this.

I find it laughable that people will see the Nazis as evil, cos among another heinous deeds they kidnapped Polish children , who looked 'Aryan' to be raised by German foster parents yet the Australians not only did the same but continued the practice until the seventies.

controller

The Irish are in no position to throw stones in that glasshouse. The last of the Magdalene laundries in Ireland closed in 1996.

stephens

I find it laughable that people will see the Nazis as evil, cos among another heinous deeds they kidnapped Polish children , who looked 'Aryan' to be raised by German foster parents yet the Australians not only did the same but continued the practice until the seventies.
They only adopted aryan looking aborigines? You are joking me. Its heinous, but hardly racist adopting a black\brown child.

euryalus

The Irish are in no position to throw stones in that glasshouse. The last of the Magdalene laundries in Ireland closed in 1996.
And indeed, Irish children were "exported" to England for adoption.

D

Dylan2010

to be fair o wise one, I know very very little about Australia but I'm familiar enough with it.

D

Dylan2010

They only adopted aryan looking aborigines? You are joking me. Its heinous, but hardly racist adopting a black\brown child.
it was done with the intention of breeding them out of existance so there was a eugenics angle to it

I see the Australia prime minister has finally apologised for state sanctioned kidnapping of Aborigine children. they were taken from their parents to be raised by white families. A little know act of racism. 250,000 kids suffered from this.

That's not the reason people hate the Nazis.

stephens

it was done with the intention of breeding them out of existance so there was a eugenics angle to it
hmmm. Im confused about this. Doesnt make sense, to 'breed something out of existence'?
Its still not really racist.

controller

In your rush to get a post in you got your facts wrong. The historic moment happened in Australia on Feb. 12, 2008, when the government issued a formal apology. The then Prime Minister Kevin Rudd opted for an apology and no compensation. This time the Federal Parliament has voted in favour of an historic act of recognition which commits Australia to changing the Constitution to acknowledge indigenous Australians, on the fifth anniversary of the apology to the stolen generations. Not quite what your OP said

D

Dylan2010

hmmm. Im confused about this. Doesnt make sense, to 'breed something out of existence'?
the idea was that they would either marry white people or not have children I assume, so their future children would become more white

stephens

the idea was that they would either marry white people or not have children I assume, so their future children would become more white
Thanks. How could they find a racist willing to marry an aborigine though?
How many white supremacists have black wives or adopt black children?
White kids would get more black too dont forget.
Did they steralize them?

Im not being pedantic here.
Ist messed up..But I fail to see the racism when it involved marrying , adopting and having kids with them.

'orebel

And you claim to be a teacher?

Any chance you could tell us where?

Hitch 22

The OP obviously hasn't read the full story.
This is in relation to the forced adoption of unwed mothers' offspring.
These were children of all races.
It has nothing specifically to do with Aborigines at all.
Children from British families were also forcibly adopted for decades and many of them also ended up Australia.

Did they steralize them?

Ist messed up..But I fail to see the racism when it involved marrying , adopting and having kids with them.
The parents weren't racist; the policy itself was.

As far as the adoptive parents were concerned they were providing a home and an upbringing and doing so for laudable reasons. The state's motives were rather more sinister.

D

Dylan2010

Did they steralize them?

here is the skinny on it

Bringing them Home - Chapter 7

Biological absorption'

By the 1930s Neville had refined his ideas of integrating Indigenous people into non-Indigenous society. His model was a biological one of `absorption' or `assimilation', argued in the language of genetics. Unlike the ideology of racial purity that emerged in Germany from eugenics, according to which `impure races' had to be prevented from `contaminating' the pure Aryan race, Neville argued the advantages of `miscegenation' between Aboriginal and white people.

The key issue to Neville was skin colour. Once `half-castes' were sufficiently white in colour they would become like white people. After two or three generations the process of acceptance in the non-Indigenous community would be complete, the older generations would have died and the settlements could be closed.

Neville claimed that the settlements prepared Indigenous children to be `absorbed' into non-Indigenous society. He argued that for the absorption process to work properly his powers needed to be extended to all children with any Indigenous background. The grandiose nature of his `vision' contrasted starkly with the reality of life in the chronically under-funded settlements

SideysGhost

Did Kevin Rudd not apologise for this years ago, or is this a new apology for something different?

Trainwreck

The OP obviously hasn't read the full story.
This is in relation to the forced adoption of unwed mothers' offspring.
These were children of all races but mostly white.
It has nothing specifically to do with Aborigines at all.
And I'm not sure if that 250,000 is an estimate of forced adoptions over 50 years, or the total of all adoptions of which some were forced.

Ironically, haven't we just passed a referendum to alow the State to make Constitutionally legal forced adoptions?