• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Australia - rental cost updates

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Reading the Ozzi News I see the cost of rental units in Perth is rising steadily causing problems for those looking to rent. Seemingly renters are offering over the asking price to secure a lease. House rents up by almost five per cent in the December 2012 quarter to $470 - Euro 370pw and apartments up 2.6% to $400 - Euro 315pw.

So I thought that if there were pie members home / abroad they may like to update the thread with any useful information regarding costs of living down under. Also might give us an insight into some stories from down under from their perspective. Renters... “Compared to renting a house at home, you have to give all your records – your visa, your passport, your wage slips and your driving licence. I must have given them six or seven points of identification

I know it's Perth which we always knew as millionaire city, but it sure is'nt cheap.

White Horse

I spent some time there during the year and was amazed at the property boom underway.

Ther mother of all property crashes could be coming their way.

Lain2016

Reading the Ozzi News I see the cost of rental units in Perth is rising steadily causing problems for those looking to rent. Seemingly renters are offering over the asking price to secure a lease. House rents up by almost five per cent in the December 2012 quarter to $470 - Euro 370pw and apartments up 2.6% to $400 - Euro 315pw.

So I thought that if there were pie members home / abroad they may like to update the thread with any useful information regarding costs of living down under. Also might give us an insight into some stories from down under from their perspective. Renters... “Compared to renting a house at home, you have to give all your records – your visa, your passport, your wage slips and your driving licence. I must have given them six or seven points of identification.”

I know it's Perth which we always knew as millionaire city, but it sure is'nt cheap.
Have they had their big bust yet...no? Sounds like us in 2005 with all the Polish etc kicking each other to death for a place and then...kaboom, the housing crash...no more Poles, no more rents :oops:

controller

Perth is about 25% - 30% more expensive than the rest of Australia

bonkers

My nephew is working in construction over there. Don't think he ever held a shovel in his hand before. One day he's a bricklayer then a carpenter, labourer and so on. He's currently a welder. It reminds me so much of here during the ponzi frenzy. I'd hate to buy a house him and his mates have been working on. I think it will all end in tears much like here.

mickterry

The politicians over there appear to be a little smarter than ours over here though

controller

The politicians over there appear to be a little smarter than ours over here though
Not by a long shot. The Mining tax has raised no revenue in first three months, they are just as corrupt, and the Unions dominate government.

Victor Meldrew

Hubris Alert.

Perth without mining has nothing going for it. Phenomenally arid and barren. Mate lives out there for the past 6 years and the remoteness would make you question it's ability to sustain a boom.

Regarding their politicians, any credit fuelled boom makes politicians look competent, just like a credit card can make you feel rich.

We know a song about that...

Eireannach

The price of rent in Sydney is probably higher than any other city, but it varies quite a bit from suburb and from east to west. I would guess that a 'reasonable' price for renting a 2 bedroom apartment within about a 10 or 15 minute from from the city centre (on the western side of the city) would be about $500. The same distance on the eastern side of the city would be higher, and in the city would be higher again. I'm in the inner west in a three bedroomed apartment which is relatively inexpensive at $700 per week (560 euro). Renting in Perth and Melbourne would be cheaper. Hotels in Sydney are more expensive than Melbourne. I don't know about Perth.

Drinking is most expensive in Perth. When I was in Perth three years ago a pint was around $10 (which is 8 euro). Certainly not much less, and I think the most I paid was $11.50 in Perth. The price of a pint in Melbourne (in the few places I've been there) is between $8 and $9. I paid these prices in the past 6 weeks. Sydney is the cheaper of the three cities. Relative to earnings it's not as expensive as it sounds (in Sydney at least).

nonpartyboy

welcome to ireland 2005, immigrants flooding into the place, loads of public sector jobs, house prices increasing, rents increasing.........but oh no this time it's different.

nonpartyboy

A fella i know was over there, and he was getting $20 an hour to paint kerb stones with luminous paint, and people think we went mad !

joemac67

Have they had their big bust yet...no? Sounds like us in 2005 with all the Polish etc kicking each other to death for a place and then...kaboom, the housing crash...no more Poles, no more rents :oops:
The Australasian economy is not solely based on selling overpriced houses to each other . Why do people keep thinking we are/ were anything other than a small rain soaked rock with 4 million people ( a small city in world terms) , on the edge of Europe that thought for a few years that we were '' rich'' on borrowed money.

Lain2016

welcome to ireland 2005, immigrants flooding into the place, loads of public sector jobs, house prices increasing, rents increasing.........but oh no this time it's different.
Uh oh...

[video=youtube_share;THWbrFy5NWM]http://youtu.be/THWbrFy5NWM[/video]

Lain2016

The Australasian economy is not solely based on selling overpriced houses to each other . Why do people keep thinking we are/ were anything other than a small rain soaked rock with 4 million people ( a small city in world terms) , on the edge of Europe that thought for a few years that we were '' rich'' on borrowed money.
Are you predicting the Aus-boom will go on and on and on and...

crossman

Maybe not but they still seem to be in the middle of a property boom. WE know what happens then.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies