• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Australia Says 'Sorry'

RG Cuan

Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, today apologised to the country's Indigenous people for decades of discrimination, in particular for the Stolen Generations.

Although much has still to be done, Australia has started its process of reconcilliation and begun a new chapter in its history.

Irish people played a central role in the formation of Australia and today is an important day for all indigenous people throughout the world.

Any chance now of the USA saying sorry to their own aboriginal communities, or Britain apologising to Gaelic and Welsh speakers for centuries of abuse?

White Horse

RG Cuan said:
Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, today appologised to the country's Indigenous people for decades of discrimination, in particular for the Stolen Generations.

Although much has still to be done, Australia has started its process of reconcilliation and begun a new chapter in its history.

Irish people played a central role in the formation of Australia and today is an important day for all indigenous people throughout the world.

Any chance now of the USA saying sorry to their own aboriginal communities, or Britain appologising to Gaelic and Welsh speakers for centuries of abuse?
And the Gaelic Irish should apologise to the indigenous people they abused and oppressed.......

RG Cuan

Certainly, if there are people out there who are seeking an apology about something Irish people or the Irish Government have done, then they should be heard.

Deep Throat

Bertie Ahern should apologise for taking us as fools.

The Sunday Indo should apologise for pretending to be a Newspaper.

Trade Union leaders should apologise to the workers of Ireland for taking money under false pretences.

G

Gimpanzee

RG Cuan said:
Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, today appologised to the country's Indigenous people for decades of discrimination, in particular for the Stolen Generations.

Any chance now of the USA saying sorry to their own aboriginal communities, or Britain appologising to Gaelic and Welsh speakers for centuries of abuse?
I'm sorry - but I wasn't aware that it was 20th century British government policy to forcibly remove children from their parents becaus the were welsh or Gaelic speakers? If this isn't the case would you have the decency to admit that you do the children of the stolen generation a massive disservice by equating them with the situation Welsh and Gaelic speakers found themselves in?

On the other hand, some children were removed from their mothers here by the church and state for being illegitimate....

AXL ROSE

I hate this kind of stupid crap. People say this is about building bridges and healing rifts but it actually the opposite. Nothing is more polarizing than this. It is not for the leader of a country to apply blame to an entire nation. Its just ridiculous.

RG Cuan

Gimpanzee said:
I'm sorry - but I wasn't aware that it was 20th century British government policy to forcibly remove children from their parents becaus the were welsh or Gaelic speakers? If this isn't the case would you have the decency to admit that you do the children of the stolen generation a massive disservice by equating them with the situation Welsh and Gaelic speakers found themselves in?

On the other hand, some children were removed from their mothers here by the church and state for being illegitimate....
I'm not equating Indigenous Australians with Gaelic or Welsh speakers, i'm simply highlighting the fact that other Governments also had official 'anti-native' policies.

You may or not be aware that Irish speakers here were physically punished, in school and by other officials, for speaking their native language right up until the 1910s.

RG Cuan

AXL ROSE

Have you read or seen the reaction of the vast majority of Aboriginal people to today's statement? They've welcomed it, and white Australians are saying that a dark burden has been lifted from the national psyche.

G

Gimpanzee

RG Cuan said:
Gimpanzee said:

I'm not equating Indigenous Australians with Gaelic or Welsh speakers, i'm simply highlighting the fact that other Governments also had official 'anti-native' policies.

You may or not be aware that Irish speakers here were physically punished, in school and by other officials, for speaking their native language right up until the 1910s.
Read your post again. That's exactly what it looks like you were doing. You can always edit it to avoid any confusion....

18 Brumaire

Gimpanzee said:
RG Cuan said:

I see no disservice. Why does it have to be confined to the 20th century.

Is 1900 some kind of cut off point for responsibility for oppression.

You dont get off that easy.

The Collective.

Deep Throat said:
Trade Union leaders should apologise to the workers of Ireland for taking money under false pretences.
:D

Amen brother!

What happened to those people is hard to believe

Appeared to be state organised oppression of a group of people, so why should the state not apologise. The government tried to disolve their history and culture with a policy of removing the children from the their families at birth.

Have a read of this report in the Epoch Times on the issue:
http://en.epochtimes.com/news/8-2-12/65853.html

"Sexual abuse was reported to the Inquiry by 1 in 5 people who were fostered and 1 in 10 people who were institutionalised. One in 10 alleged they were sexually abused in a work placement organised by the Protection Board or institution."

"I've seen girls naked, strapped to chairs and whipped," said one woman who was removed to the Cootamundra Girls' Home in the 1940s.

"They took us around to a room and shaved our hair off...They gave you your clothes and stamped a number on them…They never called you by your name; they called you by your number. That number was stamped on everything," said a man removed to Kinchela Boys' Home in the 1960s. "

TheBear

<Mod>Moved to Foreign Affairs.</Mod>

Fionn_McCool

Re: What happened to those people is hard to believe

Perhaps this Australian initiative sets a precedent for Mrs Von Winsor during her forthcoming Irish visit.

She should get down on her knees and sincerely apologise to the Irish people for what has been perpetrated here in the english Crown's name, during the last 839 years.

Gael

White Horse said:
[quote="RG Cuan":1j3kiu46]Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, today appologised to the country's Indigenous people for decades of discrimination, in particular for the Stolen Generations.

And the Gaelic Irish should apologise to the indigenous people they abused and oppressed.......[/quote:1j3kiu46]

Sounds like a good idea. Could you point these people out to us?

pocleary

White Horse said:
[quote="RG Cuan":2yssyvr2]Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, today appologised to the country's Indigenous people for decades of discrimination, in particular for the Stolen Generations.

And the Gaelic Irish should apologise to the indigenous people they abused and oppressed.......[/quote:2yssyvr2]

evidence of the above please, or do you mean Balor of the one eye..

G

Gimpanzee

18 Brumaire said:
Gimpanzee said:
[quote="RG Cuan":20ouswkz]Any chance now of the USA saying sorry to their own aboriginal communities, or Britain appologising to Gaelic and Welsh speakers for centuries of abuse?

I see no disservice. Why does it have to be confined to the 20th century.

Is 1900 some kind of cut off point for responsibility for oppression.

You dont get off that easy.[/quote:20ouswkz]

Because people directly affected by this are alive to hear the apology - not just a bunch of axe grinders living cushy lives.

White Horse

Gael said:
White Horse said:
And the Gaelic Irish should apologise to the indigenous people they abused and oppressed.......
Sounds like a good idea. Could you point these people out to us?
There was an acedemic dtudy as to the origin of the irish people. The book was called "The PeopleOf Ireland" and was published by Appletree Press. It is unfortunately out of print.

"The Celts were not, of course, the first inhabitants of Ireland. At the end of the Ice Age, as the climate became warmer ñ say about 6,000 B.C. - early migrants probably crossed the narrow sea from Scotland to the Antrim coast and gradually moved further south. They lived a primitive existence by hunting in the forests and streams and lakes. Next came the first farmers who used stone implements for felling trees and preparing the soil for grain, kept large quantities of cattle, sheep and pigs, and raised huge stone monuments to their dead like the tombs in the Boyne Valley and on the Lough Crew hills. Perhaps by 2,000 B.C. a new group of settlers had arrived, metal-workers in search of gold and copper, who fashioned the artistic ornaments now in the National Museum in Dublin, the greatest collection of prehistoric gold objects in Western Europe."

As far as can be determined the Scots were the first settlers of Ireland before being wiped out by Celtic raiders from Europe. These Celts are the ones who brought Gaelic culture to Ireland and are erroneously championed by many as being the indigenous population.

However the indigenous population of Ireland were the Scots who ancestors would return to reclaim their land during the Plantation Of Ulster.

Website
gaelgannaire.blogspot.com
White Horse,

I think you need to do a bit more research.

The 'Scots' <Latin Scotii') were a Gaelic tribe.

'Appletree Press' , = 'acedemic study' (sic.), ich dont think so.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies