• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Australian federal election, 2016

Breanainn

The primary trend in Antipodean politics this decade has been the internal party coup (called "spills" for some reason). Previously, this had been a Labour speciality, with Gillard dethroning Rudd, before the latter in turn toppled her, but last year the Liberal PM Tony Abbott (known for opposing gay marriage and denying climate change) was overthrown by the current head of government, Malcolm Turnbull. He has taken a more centrist approach than his predecessor, but has faced a strong challenge from new Labour leader Bill Shorten.

The actual election has now concluded, and the result is on a knife-edge with both blocs forced to go cap in hand to minor parties and independents. With 13 seats remaining, the score stands at:

Coalition 68 (Liberal 58, National 10)
Labor 64
Independent 2
Katter Party 1
Xenophon Party 1
Greens 1

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2016/jul/02/australian-federal-election-2016-results-turnbull-shorten-coalition-greens-labor-politics-live

Dame_Enda

The gay marriage issue was neutralised by Turnbulls promise to hold a referendum, and by his personal support for ssm. Interestingly he's also a republican (though won't move on the issue due to his party's monarchism) so lots of crossover appeal.

I've also found the Liberal Party's name to only be true in economic terms. Will be interesting to see will it become more liberal socially under Turnbull or will a reduced majority force him further to the Right.

Trainwreck

Could a mod please fix the spelling mistake in the title:

Australian feral election.

Dame_Enda

ALP now leading the Coalition 71-67. The Coalition had 90 seats going into the election and the ALP 55. Abbot refusing to say if he's available to take back the leadership of the Liberals.

Pauline Hanson of One Nation fame has been elected to the Senate and probably bring in 2 more too.

Fascinating they have a constituency called Batman.

Last edited:

GDPR

ALP now leading the Coalition 71-67. The Coalition had 90 seats going into the election and the ALP 55. Abbot refusing to say if he's available to take back the leadership of the Liberals.

Pauline Hanson of One Nation fame has been elected to the Senate and probably bring in 2 more too.

Fascinating they have a constituency called Batman.
afaik that is some bloke's surname. Also afaik there are no electorates called Tarzan or Clark Kent :)

PeacefulViking

Pauline Hanson wants a commission to investigate the fraud that is climate science. She also wants an investigation into Islam to determine whether it is "a religion or political ideology". Her party also want surveillance cameras in all mosques and Muslim schools.

The Australian constitution's section on religion is also to be amended, presumably to remove protection for Islam. Here one can read their policies on Islam.

I wonder what are resident anti-islam posters think of her? Personally I consider Islam to be one of the biggest problems in the world right now, but Hanson is just a bigoted tosser.

Last edited:

devoutcapitalist

Pauline Hanson wants a commission to investigate the fraud that is climate science. She also wants an investigation into Islam to determine whether it is "a religion or political ideology". Her party also want surveillance cameras in all mosques and Muslim schools.

The Australian constitution's section on religion is also to be amended, presumably to remove protection for Islam. Heree one can read there policies on Islam.

I wonder what are resident anti-islam posters think of her? Personally I consider Islam to be one of the biggest problems in the world right now, but Hanson is just a bigoted tosser.
Hanson is an eejit but lets face reality Islam is incompatible with democracy and there will remain the case until there is a radical liberalisation of Islamic doctrine.

derryman

The Australian constitution's section on religion is also to be amended, presumably to remove protection for Islam. Heree one can read there policies on Islam.

Please explain.

nakatomi

PeacefulViking

Please explain.
Explain what? Why I think Islam is a big problem, or what the difference is between my position and Hanson's? I think Islam is a big problem because I look at the state of the Muslim world. It is obviously hugely diverse, ranging from Daesh to Kosovo, but many, many countries in it have problems adopting secularism and liberal democracy, and the forms of Islam practiced there seem to be an important factor in retarding their progress. In the West we also face problems with assimilating Muslim immigrants and their religious ideology is in many cases a factor in that as well.

I think it is fair to say that Islam is the problem, even though I am aware of the diversity of interpretations, since all the problematic aspects (the support for violence, homophobia, misogyny, etc) has support in the traditional Islamic sources. (Which is a completely different thing from saying that there is a true form of Islam or that Muslim liberals are somehow inauthentic.)

My difference from Hanson is that I do not stereotype or demonize Muslims. I recognize that the vast majority are not terrorists, that most of them are as good/bad as other people, and that if they are treated decently they are likely to adapt their religion to the the Western world (or abandon it), as Christians have done.

PeacefulViking

So does that make you an anti-Islam poster?
Yes, I suppose so. I have explained what I think. Some other posters here adopt a similar tone of anti-elitism and "truth-telling" that Hanson does, and I am curious if they are willing to denounce her extremism.

PeacefulViking

Hanson is an eejit but lets face reality Islam is incompatible with democracy and there will remain the case until there is a radical liberalisation of Islamic doctrine.
Some Muslims do believe in a liberalised doctrine, to varying degrees.

Even the conservative ones are generally not a threat to democracy in the West, they simply have some political views that we may not like. To portray them as some major problem to deal with is as rational as the ROI deciding it is under existential threat from SSPX, the Orange Order, or the Communist party.

It is also of dubious fairness, but more important counterproductive, to group the liberal Muslims in with the rest politically.

Kershaw

and that if they are treated decently they are likely to adapt their religion to the the Western world (or abandon it), as Christians have done.
I don't think Christianity modernised due to being treated decently. Quite the opposite. It was pulled through an era of enlightenment by its ears and slapped around with scorn, ridicule and contempt. Trouble in Muslim world is that questioning Islam is practically considered shirk and punished. We see small groups like the Quranists who ignore hadith and seek to interpret Islam through the Quran alone treated with persecution. Worse, even in western countries, critics of Islam often fear for their lives so that they have live under state-sponsored protection. Then you have the right-on luvvies wanting to shut down the discussion with howls of "Islamophobia".

It will all come to a boiling point.
I guarantee it.

PeacefulViking

I don't think Christianity modernised due to being treated decently. Quite the opposite. It was pulled through an era of enlightenment by its ears and slapped around with scorn, ridicule and contempt. Trouble in Muslim world is that questioning Islam is practically considered shirk and punished. We see small groups like the Quranists who ignore hadith and seek to interpret Islam through the Quran alone treated with persecution. Worse, even in western countries, critics of Islam often fear for their lives so that they have live under state-sponsored protection. Then you have the right-on luvvies wanting to shut down the discussion with howls of "Islamophobia".

It will all come to a boiling point.
I guarantee it.
I have no idea if there is anything the West can do to make the Muslim world see sense, but I do think we can integrate our Muslim immigrants. Examples of homophobia and the like should be called out, but not all Muslims should be tarred with the same brush.

The obvious comparison is Irish Catholic immigration, which was seen as a threat in many places in the English-speaking world. Yet they integrated, their religion moderated and most of their descendants have about the same moral values as the rest of society. Even in Ireland itself the church has lost a lot of its influence.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies