Australian paedophiles to lose right to travel abroad.

Wascurito

Well done, Australia. This is indeed a world first and will go some way towards protecting children in poorer countries who are often very vulnerable to western paedophiles. Other western countries need to do likewise.

Not only would it protect children in Third World countries, it would also do a lot to shut down a vile trade in which children are quite literally pimped out by their own families. Let's hope that Europe and North America will follow suit.

RTÉ News: Australia to strip convicted paedophiles of passports

Afternote:
Would such a move require a referendum here? The Irish Constitution does reference the right to travel.

Last edited:

Well done, Australia. This is indeed a world first and will go some way towards protecting children in poorer countries who are often very vulnerable to western paedophiles. Other western countries need to do likewise.

Not only would it protect children in Third World countries, it would also do a lot to shut down a vile trade in which children are quite literally pimped out by their own families. Let's hope that Europe and North America will follow suit.

It's a remarkable step and it doesn't come without a small degree of domestic risk. The Aussies are to be applauded for this.

razorblade

Fair play, this is what everyone should be doing.

stopdoingstuff

I hear the paedoes are now lobbying for a more liberal immigration regime.

Local kids have condemned the decision.
I completely understand your point, but what of the scores of girls a pedophile might abuse in countries where they are traded? Might it help to prevent the market if all countries blocked the market on their part.

former wesleyan

Woosh !

stopdoingstuff

I completely understand your point, but what of the scores of girls a pedophile might abuse in countries where they are traded? Might it help to prevent the market if all countries blocked the market on their part.
I was only blaggarding. I don't know if I would go for a blanket ban or anything but it is good to see some restrictions in place.

I was only blaggarding. I don't know if I would go for a blanket ban or anything but it is good to see some restrictions in place.
Had to like the liberal immigration regime crack!

Wascurito

Would such a move require a referendum here? The Irish Constitution does reference the right to travel.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I did bump into a Tasmanian chap who was a very good pool player about twenty years ago in Australia.

I asked him whether he had ever played professionally and he said that he had in Aussie but had applied for a passport to visit the South East Asian nations where there is quite a healthy pool tournament circuit. Because he had a criminal record his passport application came back with some kind of notice which he claimed said 'undesirable export'.

Not sure about the truth of that story but technically I think passports are issued at the discretion of the state and can technically be refused. Could cause quite a number of legal arguments but I'm not certain whether anyone is actually entitled to a passport and otherwise would have to apply for a one-off travel permit on a case by case basis if a full passport was refused. Not sure what the legal situation is with Irish passports.

Mind you I suppose the Aussies are banking on the fact that few known paedophiles would be of a mind to enter into a legal challenge with the media interest that would attract in them.

GDPR

The UK introduced similar legislation in 2003 and tightened it further in 2008 to include confiscation of passports of convicted sex offenders and bans where someone had not been convicted but there was evidence of an offence (eg accessing CP).

The problem is there is a fairly low level of implementation.

Wascurito

I did bump into a Tasmanian chap who was a very good pool player about twenty years ago in Australia.

I asked him whether he had ever played professionally and he said that he had in Aussie but had applied for a passport to visit the South East Asian nations where there is quite a healthy pool tournament circuit. Because he had a criminal record his passport application came back with some kind of notice which he claimed said 'undesirable export'.

Not sure about the truth of that story but technically I think passports are issued at the discretion of the state and can technically be refused. Could cause quite a number of legal arguments but I'm not certain whether anyone is actually entitled to a passport and otherwise would have to apply for a one-off travel permit on a case by case basis if a full passport was refused. Not sure what the legal situation is with Irish passports.

Mind you I suppose the Aussies are banking on the fact that few known paedophiles would be of a mind to enter into a legal challenge with the media interest that would attract in them.
For starters, one a doesn't need a passport to leave the jurisdiction. Anyone travelling from the RoI can enter the UK without one.

From googling cases in which someone in this jurisdiction is forced to surrender their passport, it seems to be always in a case in which there is legal action pending against them and there is a flight risk.

With the Australian law, a paedophile will have served his sentence and will be forbidden - for the rest of his life - from leaving the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth of Australia.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
For starters, one a doesn't need a passport to leave the jurisdiction. Anyone travelling from the RoI can enter the UK without one.

From googling cases in which someone in this jurisdiction is forced to surrender their passport, it seems to be always in a case in which there is legal action pending against them and there is a flight risk.

With the Australian law, a paedophile will have served his sentence and will be forbidden - for the rest of his life - from leaving the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth of Australia.
Mm. I remember the interesting bit of PR from the Gardai implying that Drumm had just managed to escape their clutches by seconds ahead of a possible arrest by the cunning expedient of booking a scheduled flight to Boston.

Another amusing interlude from the AGS that was.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Back this sort of law up by hanging convicted paedophiles at home and we'd finally be getting somewhere.

mr_anderson

If we ban Paedos from coming into Ireland, can this be stretched to those who follow the preachings of a Paedo prophet ?

Do we then ban those who believe it is acceptable to marry a 9yo girl ?

mr_anderson

Back this sort of law up by hanging convicted paedophiles at home and we'd finally be getting somewhere.

Only this week I watched a documentary on Gary Plauche.
To those who haven't heard of him, he killed the man who raped (& kidnapped) his son at an airport in front of cameras.

He was arrested, tried and found guilty of doing something that everyone agreed was acceptable.
Served not a single day in jail.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Only this week I watched a documentary on Gary Plauche.
To those who haven't heard of him, he killed the man who raped (& kidnapped) his son at an airport in front of cameras.

He was arrested, tried and found guilty of doing something that everyone agreed was acceptable.
Served not a single day in jail.
Good.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies