• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

australia's first saint

Cruimh

That is an amazing story - firstly that she not only spoke up but got the priest moved - obviously not laicised - and secondly that she was excommunicated and then re-instated ( or whatever the proper term is ) because they acknowledged that they were in the wrong.

Catalpa

That is an amazing story - firstly that she not only spoke up but got the priest moved - obviously not laicised - and secondly that she was excommunicated and then re-instated ( or whatever the proper term is ) because they acknowledged that they were in the wrong.
TBH I would take this report with a grain of salt.

To be excommunicated she would have to have openly disagreed with a Doctrine of the Faith & refused to recant.

She might though have well have been kicked out of her Order and left to fend for herself.

But that is not an Excommunication!

Cruimh

TBH I would take this report with a grain of salt.

To be excommunicated she would have to have openly disagreed with a Doctrine of the Faith & refused to recant.

She might though have well have been kicked out of her Order and left to fend for herself.

But that is not an Excommunication!
Been looking - according to this she was excommunicated

and according to the Order's own website she was excommunicated.

Máistir na Cruinne

I got the impression from today's Irish Times article that she was being canonised because of her "good works" after being received back into the church, and not because of her role in exposing a paedophile priest for which she was victimised.

owedtojoy

To be a saint you have to have at least one miracle to your credit ...

... obviously, getting back into the church after showing up a priest was her miracle.

Cruimh

I got the impression from today's Irish Times article that she was being canonised because of her "good works" after being received back into the church, and not because of her role in exposing a paedophile priest for which she was victimised.
I know it's cynical - but I cannot help thinking this is a gesture linked to the abuse scandals.

yehbut_nobut

“He was a puppet being manipulated by malicious priests. This sounds terrible, but it’s true.”
Shouldn't that be "typical", not "terrible"?

Catalpa

Been looking - according to this she was excommunicated

and according to the Order's own website she was excommunicated.
But it doesn't say what she was excommunicated from.

I think it must mean she was excommunicated from her Order and not from the Church per se

To excommunicated from the Church would be a grave matter and could only be done over a matter of Faith.

There is nothing to indicate she did not wholeheartedly support the Doctrine of the Faith

- & therefore there would be no valid grounds of Excommunication from the Church.

Cruimh

But it doesn't say what she was excommunicated from.

I think it must mean she was excommunicated from her Order and not from the Church per se

To excommunicated from the Church would be a grave matter and could only be done over a matter of Faith.

There is nothing to indicate she did not wholeheartedly support the Doctrine of the Faith

- & therefore there would be no valid grounds of Excommunication from the Church.
ummmmm - people were excommunicated for not obeying church discipline - for what matter of faith were the Fenians etc excommunicated ?