Austrian presidential election results are CANCELLED.

stopdoingstuff

Probably fixed by the EU and their fifth column (90% of officials).

The Field Marshal

Probably fixed by the EU and their fifth column (90% of officials).

But culturally, the society would still be very Catholic and - whilst I'm open to correction from the relevant party - I think that Socratus was referring to the cultural sphere.
Catholicism is a religion it is not a culture.

The idea of a culturally catholic society would imply a monoculture throughout the catholic world.

Austria is a post nazi society where all expressions of nationalism were supressed allowing left wing anodyne paradigms to flourish unchecked.

Hence the current spiritual and social chaos in the peculiar stewpot that describes itself as "Austria".

Breanainn

The idea of a culturally catholic society would imply a monoculture throughout the catholic world.

Austria is a post nazi society where all expressions of nationalism were supressed allowing left wing anodyne paradigms to flourish unchecked.

Hence the current spiritual and social chaos in the peculiar stewpot that describes itself as "Austria".
Ahem, they've already had one far-right president, namely Kurt Waldheim, and of course, Jorg Haider was briefly Chancellor until his government fell (or was deposed, according to your perspective).

callas

That would be very humiliating for an EU country to have to accept.
They have bigger things to be humiliated about.

They produced Adof Hitler, did they not.

And now Hofer.

Appears they need to be closely scrutinised at all times.

And economically sanctioned or isolated if necessary.

The Field Marshal

And now Hofer.

If Austria returns a far right president there is nothing wrong with that.

The left wing push to allow unrestricted immigration begun by the German fool Merkele has led to the Brexit , the growth of the far right and the serious weakening of an already fragile EU and euro.

O

Oscurito

First of all, I'd like to declare that I see no connection between the reported irregularities and the Catholicism (historical or otherwise) of Austrian society.

However, I do think that there is such a thing as cultural Catholicism and it goes well beyond (sometimes empty) adherence to certain sacraments such as Holy Communion and Confirmation. Catholic social teaching has much to say about economics and the responsibility of employers and the wealthy to look after the less fortunate.

The family as the basis of society is also important. It's no coincidence that Austria still has not introduced same-sex marriage. Yes, other European Catholic countries have but this has often been a reaction against past overweening influence of the Catholic Church. I'm thinking here of Spain, Portugal and the Republic of Ireland.

O

Oscurito

And now Hofer.

I think that that's unfair. Hitler was indeed born in Austria but he needed the toxic atmosphere of Weimar Germany to "blossom" and become the monster that he became.

Other countries have produced popular right-wing extremists in this current age. I'm thinking of the UK, France, Netherlands, Hungary and Greece. Do these countries need close scrutiny too?

Socratus O' Pericles

But culturally, the society would still be very Catholic and - whilst I'm open to correction from the relevant party - I think that Socratus was referring to the cultural sphere.
What I meant was that not requiring jesuitical proofs but deciding that corrective action was needed as:

The court found no proof that the result had been manipulated but the possibility that the outcome might have been affected is enough for a challenge to succeed.
is not something that would happen here.

In our confrontational legal system for instance children raped by catholic clergy have to remember times, dates and specific instances or else their testimony is dismisses. The possibility that something might have happened is not grounds for a review, its grounds for the door and a hefty costs bill.

To allow the benefit of the doubt and put the onus of irreproachable behaviour on the higher power seems protestant to me, that said its probably all predestined anyhow. Austria is and was always a very catholic country culturally and actually- still well over half of them claim to be catholic.

Confusing.

O

Oscurito

What I meant was that not requiring jesuitical proofs but deciding that corrective action was needed as:

is not something that would happen here.

In our confrontational legal system for instance children raped by catholic clergy have to remember times, dates and specific instances or else their testimony is dismisses. The possibility that something might have happened is not grounds for a review, its grounds for the door and a hefty costs bill.

To allow the benefit of the doubt and put the onus of irreproachable behaviour on the higher power seems protestant to me, that said its probably all predestined anyhow. Austria is and was always a very catholic country culturally and actually- still well over half of them claim to be catholic.

Confusing.
This belongs in another thread but victims of sex abuse here have obtained convictions based on the abuse having occurred between dates x and y despite x and y being far apart.

Also, determinism has always struck me as being more a feature of Reformationist Christianity. But I'm open to correction on that**.

**in another thread :cool:

forest

In relation to ausix.
Austria bans referenda for this very reason to stop populist politicians using them for their own ends.

Also what role has their president in foreign policy

The Field Marshal

In relation to ausix.
Austria bans referenda for this very reason to stop populist politicians using them for their own ends.

He is entitled to carry a rifle.

O

Oscurito

In relation to ausix.

The Austrian president can dismiss the lower chamber of the Parliament and Hofer has said that, as president, he'd do this if immigration were not brought under control.

RasherHash

In relation to ausix.

Does populist mean democratically elected?

Surely all politicians are populist?

The Field Marshal

The Austrian president can dismiss the lower chamber of the Parliament and Hofer has said that, as president, he'd do this if immigration were not brought under control.
All of Europe would wish to see this done.

Indeed it will be done even more effectively if Mr Hofer carries his rifle with him during the process.

im axeled

I'm not so sure the Brexit result gives momentum to the FPO.

The lack of planning following the Brexit referendum from the Leave campaign has been a mess. The hard(ish) line taken by the EU to date with the Brits will give food for thought to anyone else thinking that leaving the EU was a simple exercise.

The Leave vote could have the opposite effect.
some folk will take the eu hard line like a red rag to a bull, the bully boys are never that popular

O

Oscurito

I think to be the first country to vote exit is tougher than to be the second, the third...

Granted the Austrians are not re-voting to exit the EU, they are re-voting to elect a president, but one of the major candidates is strongly pro-exit.

So will Brexit have a knock on effect in the forth-coming Austrian election? Hard to say, it might have a moderate/significant effect. Remember, candidates can take advantage of it in different ways. We'll have to wait and see how the new election campaigns play out.
Thinking about this on mature reflection (loaded phrase!), it may turn out that the re-run of round 2 influences the Brexit issue....!

The EU/EC won't want to see Hofer being elected. Meanwhile, the timing of the rerun (Sep-Oct) gives the EU/EC enough time to plan how to influence the result. If this duumvirate choose to put their heads together, they can devise a few more turnings of the screw on the UK pour encourager les Autrichiens.

The not so subtle message to Vienna will be: vote for Hofer and you might be next.

Truth.ie

In relation to ausix.

What a convenient wheeze!!

Dame_Enda

Let this be a warning to the Bilderbergers, political parties and intelligence services against rigging a second election.

Truth.ie

Does populist mean democratically elected?

Surely all politicians are populist?
Populist is the new wordplay by the left.
Its a strange one. They seem to think that demanding immigration control and the end of the EU is a popular position.
Ask the lads in Identity Ireland how the media, the establishment and the useful idiots treated them for airing these "popular" views.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom