Austrian presidential election results are CANCELLED.

The Field Marshal

Thinking about this on mature reflection (loaded phrase!), it may turn out that the re-run of round 2 influences the Brexit issue....!

The EU/EC won't want to see Hofer being elected. Meanwhile, the timing of the rerun (Sep-Oct) gives the EU/EC enough time to plan how to influence the result. If this duumvirate choose to put their heads together, they can devise a few more turnings of the screw on the UK pour encourager les Autrichiens.

The not so subtle message to Vienna will be: vote for Hofer and you might be next.
Rather astute of you to spot that.

But it all depends on what Mr Hofer says and does.

Austrians can legally carry rifles and the border fence is up and running.

[A similiar fence could yet be erected on the 26/6 county Irish border the way the EU is going under the German dictatorship that engineered Brexit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_border_barrier

Truth.ie

Hofer, Trump, Le Pen, Wilders....all potential leaders in the coming year or two.

The new Great Cultural Revolution.

O

Oscurito

Rather astute of you to spot that.

But it all depends on what Mr Hofer says and does.

Austrians can legally carry rifles and the border fence is up and running.

[A similiar fence could yet be erected on the 26/6 county Irish border the way the EU is going under the German dictatorship that engineered Brexit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_border_barrier
Look...I might be way off. For one thing, Hofer's position is a lot less fixed than those of UK leaders. He gets to choose what he means when he says that immigration is under control. And even if he does press the Big Red Button by dismissing the Nationalrat, it's still a long long way from an Östexit (Östausgang?).

The Field Marshal

Look...I might be way off. For one thing, Hofer's position is a lot less fixed than those of UK leaders. He gets to choose what he means when he says that immigration is under control. And even if he does press the Big Red Button by dismissing the Nationalrat, it's still a long long way from an Östexit (Östausgang?).
The Austrians are extremely unlikely to Östausgang whilst the probability of a new German anschluss is on the horizon under the "enhanced co-operation" provisions of the EU treaties.

callas

callas

The best way to deal with Austrian Nationalism is to fill Austria with immigrants. The cause of nationalist uppitiness is not too much immigration but too little.

Dame_Enda

The best way to deal with Austrian Nationalism is to fill Austria with immigrants. The cause of nationalist uppitiness is not too much immigration but too little.
Working well in France isn't it? :roll:

O

Oscurito

This kind of comment is completely in keeping with certain outlying political preconceptions.

callas

My auld auntie used to be the most racist biddy I knew. Fast forward to her old age and daughter's partner is of quite a dark hue :lol: and she now has two beautiful grandchildren.

It actuallly cured the auld cow. It was quite a transformation. She is very proud of her family.

So I am not just being inflammatory, just to wind up the wacists.:lol:

Truth.ie

My auld auntie used to be the most racist biddy I knew. Fast forward to her old age and daughter's partner is of quite a dark hue :lol: and she now has two beautiful grandchildren.

It actuallly cured the auld cow. It was quite a transformation. She is very proud of her family.

So I am not just being inflammatory, just to wind up the wacists.:lol:
Wrong thread lad..
nobody here has a problem with skin colour.
Most just want a functioning immigration policy.
I've always stated I'd be happy with Cubans immigration policy. Racists that they are.

I think to be the first country to vote exit is tougher than to be the second, the third...

Granted the Austrians are not re-voting to exit the EU, they are re-voting to elect a president, but one of the major candidates is strongly pro-exit.

So will Brexit have a knock on effect in the forth-coming Austrian election? Hard to say, it might have a moderate/significant effect. Remember, candidates can take advantage of it in different ways. We'll have to wait and see how the new election campaigns play out.
It shouldn't be difficult at all being the second or third country. All they have to do is sit back and see what happens.

The Field Marshal

To be fair in the 19th century the idea of a Greater Germany usually referred to union of Germany and Austria. Not genocidal conquest of Europe.
To be fair in the 21st century the idea of a Greater Germany usually referred to union of Germany and the rest of the EU.

RasherHash

To be fair in the 19th century the idea of a Greater Germany usually referred to union of Germany and Austria. Not genocidal conquest of Europe.
There's no proof there was any genocidal conquest, you're accepting a myth.

Dame_Enda

nomahdi

Hofer, Trump, Le Pen, Wilders....all potential leaders in the coming year or two.

The new Great Cultural Revolution.
Tho' the Austrian presidency is largely ceremonial, like ours, also like ours it can be a highly significant bellwether, being by universal suffrage (the only 2 in Europe). Plus: a vote for Hofer is an invitation to him to turn the presidency in an activist direction.

Another dimension: Budapest and Warsaw are slavering for a Hofer win as vindicating their migrant stance. And Austria's re-run is now set to coincide closely with Orban's [anti-]migrant quota referendum (due in autumn 16), meaning a potential double whammy to the open-border-ists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_migrant_quota_referendum,_2016

SilverSpurs

The lesson to be learned here is that the postal vote system is a joke all over the world.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom