Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) Bill

Degeneration X

Senator James Reilly's Autism Bill has passed through the Seanad.

The Bill would see over 60,000 families benefit from greater supports for children with autism.

Reilly's Autism Bill passes the Seanad - Independent.ie

Do people believe this Bill if it passes through the Dail will see any amelioration of conditions for those who suffer from Autism and their families?

I certainly hope it does.

Sister Mercedes

Senator Reilly whose own family has been affected by autism said
Why can't resources be directed towards those according to need, rather than towards those who mount the most effective PR campaign or have the best political connections ...

Schuhart

Senator James Reilly's Autism Bill has passed through the Seanad.

The Bill would see over 60,000 families benefit from greater supports for children with autism.

Reilly's Autism Bill passes the Seanad - Independent.ie

Do people believe this Bill if it passes through the Dail will see any amelioration of conditions for those who suffer from Autism and their families?

I certainly hope it does.
I'd worry about creating a new legal right to money, apparently covering 60,000 people.

We already spend well over €5 billion in disability supports. If that's not delivering "amelioration", I doubt that this will either.

What it will do is blow public money up a pipe, for no obvious gain.

Freud once observed "Nature, by endowing individuals with extremely unequal physical attributes and mental capacities, has introduced injustices against which there is no remedy."

That said, I would wonder how 60,000 children suddenly arrive on the scene with a diagnosis of some syndrome requiring funded supports.

O'Quisling

Unless funding (for anything) is constitutional enshrined, then it is subject to the vagaries of the market-oriented economic policies of the dominant parties in the Irish state (whoever is in office - whether it be the Blueshirts or the Chavet Shirts).

Come a recession, then cutbacks to public spending are introduced. Exhibit A the death of the Celtic Tiger Economy.

damus

Pardon my french....but meaningless tosh! Firstly, it's only about preparing and publishing a strategy and the key words in the Bill are "at his (ministers) or other sole discretion". Also, why are they singling out autism, and not devising a strategy that will incorporate access to healthcare, education, employment, services by public bodies, social inclusion, advocacy, and the provision of legal aid for all other intellectual disabilities? Surely their time would be far better spent implementing the provisions of the Disability and the Employment Equality Act, rather than developing another strategy that will only gather dust.

Catalpast

Pardon my french....but meaningless tosh! Firstly, it's only about preparing and publishing a strategy and the key words in the Bill are "at his (ministers) or other sole discretion". Also, why are they singling out autism, and not devising a strategy that will incorporate access to healthcare, education, employment, services by public bodies, social inclusion, advocacy, and the provision of legal aid for all other intellectual disabilities? Surely their time would be far better spent implementing the provisions of the Disability and the Employment Equality Act, rather than developing another strategy that will only gather dust.
Its an important 1st step in raising political awareness that there are a lot of kids (and adults) out there who need support

- unfortunately this all costs money

But we have to start somewhere

Schuhart

why are they singling out autism, and not devising a strategy that will incorporate access to healthcare, education, employment, services by public bodies, social inclusion, advocacy, and the provision of legal aid for all other intellectual disabilities?
Frequently, people who have a personal interest in disability have a direct family interest.In this case, both James Reilly and Simon Harris have a personal interest in autism.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brother-s-autism-led-to-minister-for-health-s-political-career-1.3042480
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/reilly-recalls-son-s-autism-diagnosis-1.589251

Put bluntly, why should they give a toss about people with other disabilities in which they have no personal interest?

Dearghoul

Frequently, people who have a personal interest in disability have a direct family interest.In this case, both James Reilly and Simon Harris have a personal interest in autism.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brother-s-autism-led-to-minister-for-health-s-political-career-1.3042480
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/reilly-recalls-son-s-autism-diagnosis-1.589251

Put bluntly, why should they give a toss about people with other disabilities in which they have no personal interest?
Because they're supposed to be formulating overall government strategy on disability rather than a government strategy that benefits their family members.

I'm surprised this needs writing.

damus

Its an important 1st step in raising political awareness that there are a lot of kids (and adults) out there who need support

- unfortunately this all costs money

But we have to start somewhere
They said the same thing about the Disability Act when they undertook the stakeholder consultations. Do you think that there's no political awareness about the difficulties parents facentre getting DCA, psychological and educational assessments, discrimination or the barriers that people with disabilities face in employment? All this information is out there. A good first step would be for that to be actioned on.

Expose the lot of them

Before any further funding is allocated there should.be robust value for money.review of the multiple "chatities" operating in this area.

Schuhart

The need for evaluation is crucial, particularly because of the huge void between disabilty advocate claims that they get next to no support with the glaring fact that Government spends well over €5 billion on disability - €3 billion of which is paid directly to people deemed to have disabilities and their families.

damus

There's also the national advocacy service and independent advocacy services that need looking at!

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Before any further funding is allocated there should.be robust value for money.review of the multiple "chatities" operating in this area.
I'd say a large majority of them duplicate 'work' which would be 'awareness campaigns' and other such nonsensical bullsh1t like printing leaflets or 'compiling' or 'launching' 'reports'.

Their primary remit is to provide cushy jobs and somewhere, far down the list of priorities, are people who they claim to represent.

If the HSE has anything to do with their funding, expect waste, corruption, negligence and downright idiocy - its the HSE way.

Expose the lot of them

I'd say a large majority of them duplicate 'work' which would be 'awareness campaigns' and other such nonsensical bullsh1t like printing leaflets or 'compiling' or 'launching' 'reports'.

Their primary remit is to provide cushy jobs and somewhere, far down the list of priorities, are people who they claim to represent.

If the HSE has anything to do with their funding, expect waste, corruption, negligence and downright idiocy - its the HSE way.
And complete lack of controls

A separate audit of the charity Audit Spectrum Disorder Initiatives Ltd, which received €14.3 million in HSE funding over three years to 2015, found the overall control environment to be “inadequate”.

The main issues identified by the audit were that the national director approved her own credit card expenditure, €13,121 was paid to solicitors for advice on the HSE service arrangements and gifts were purchased.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tusla-procurement-cards-spending-more-in-line-with-credit-card-spend-1.3152293?mode=amp

Schuhart

bifur

People need this and hope this new bill will ensure that the right people will benefit.

Old Mr Grouser

People need this and hope this new bill will ensure that the right people will benefit.
Yes. Let's hope that it's the right people who benefit.

I've encountered some very decent people with this disability who still go out and work; but you usually hear of it fthrough press-reports of Defence Counsels ipleading it in mitigation of criminal behaviour.

I suspect it will be like a lot of similar benefits; it will all depend on how the forms are filled in, and the money will go to those who are best represented.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies