Auxiliary Bishop of Dublin Eamonn Walsh Supports Justice for Sex-Accused Comic Al Porter

Kilbarry

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/may-heads-on-plates-be-off-the-menu-in-2018-irish-bishop-backs-grope-claim-comic-al-porter/ar-BBHIj5z?li=BBr5KbJ

I know there is another thread on Al Porter but I think this deserves a separate one. Bishop Eamonn Walsh was himself subjected to the thuggish behaviour of his own boss Archbishop Diarmuid Martin who rebuked him in the media in 2009 (in connection with the Murphy Report of the Dublin Archdiocese) - having previously expressed confidence in him at a gathering of priests! Bishop Walsh felt it necessary to submit his resignation - not because he felt he had done anything wrong but because of the public criticism by the Archbishop. Pope Benedict then refused to accept his resignation - in what was seen as a rebuke to Archbishop Martin! According Bishop Eamonn knows how these sex-claim witch-hunts operate! The article is entitled 'May heads on plates be off the menu in 2018': Irish bishop backs grope claim comic Al Porter

A top bishop has lent his support for controversial comedian Al Porter whose career is in tatters after allegations of inappropriate behaviour. Auxiliary Bishop of Dublin Eamonn Walsh said he hoped scandal-hit Al could soon “feel free and welcome to make us laugh again”.

Bishop Walsh – who is a qualified barrister – called for an end to the rush to judgment in the coming year, saying: “May heads on plates be off the menu in 2018.”The bishop – who has special responsibility for Tallaght, the Dublin suburb where Al Porter comes from – did not mention him directly, instead referring to him as “our local comedian.”

In his annual message for Christmas and New Year’s, he said he hoped 2018 would be the year that: “We allow justice to take its course, and not usurp it through public condemnation, humiliation and sentence without trial. “May heads on plates be off the menu in 2018. May the darkness that was visited on our local comedian, before justice to all could be processed, be replaced with balance, proper proportion and fair play, so that he may feel free and welcome to make us laugh again.” He called for tolerance at Christmas, saying it is the time of year to make an extra effort to love and care for family, friends and strangers “who are in a bad place.”

The bishop gave the speech in a number of local churches as a homily, including one attended by Al’s mother Marian, who is a parish secretary. A source said: “He didn’t realise she was present. The entire church applauded and consoled Marian, who was crying at the end of it.”....

What are the chances that Archbishop Diarmuid Martin will support the idea that "balance, proper proportion and fair play" should apply, when people are accused of sex abuse?

The article also points out that Al Porter had to leave his his leading role in the Olympia Theatre pantomime, Polly and the Beanstalk. and quotes Al’s panto replacement - former Mrs Brown’s Boys actor Rory Cowan - as hailing the Bishop’s message of support for Al, posting it on his Twitter feed and commenting: “Well said, Bishop Eamonn Walsh. It needed to be said.

Last edited:

Kilbarry

Maybe he could just be moved to another parish.
Out of date comment. The media lynch mob moved on from priests (and even false SEX allegations) quite some time ago. Alan Shatter was no friend of the Catholic Church when he was forced to resign as Justice Minister because of bogus allegations in 2014. The fact that the O' Higgins Commission subsequently found that Shatter had acted properly in response to the claims of whistleblower Sergeant Maurice McCabe, made no difference at all. The media mob are now into defaming people for the sake of it - and being found innocent makes little or no difference either!

Dame_Enda

I think that Habeus Corpus has to be respected and due process.

Kilbarry

I think that Habeus Corpus has to be respected and due process.
Indeed - even when it applies to people we don't like. I actually loathe Alan Shatter and I recall a discussion I had on the Reason.com blog a few years ago in which one of the other posters said: "The opinion on the Catholic Blogosphere seems to be that X is a scumbag who was convicted on the only occasion on which he was innocent".

No it wasn't about Shatter but it expresses my feelings about the guy - which doesn't prevent me from believing in due process! Frances Fitzgerald also was forced to resign as a result of claims that I'm pretty sure will be proved false (also related to Maurice McCabe).

Maybe our "liberals"should now understand that whipping up media hysteria against ideological enemies is NOT such a good idea after all! Said media are now completely out of control and devouring their former friends.

Last edited:

hiding behind a poster

I think it's a disgrace that so many people's careers have been destroyed on the basis of accusations. What happened to due process?

storybud1

it still does not address the fundamental point,

Al Porter is really sh1t and not in the least bit funny,,

Eoin Coir

a Cork priest Fr Hazelwood had false allegations made against hi, he was suspended for a while, but was restored when legally his accuser threw in the towel. He was on Liveline a few months ago.

Half Nelson

In Ireland, trial without fair due process became institutionalised with the advent of the tribunals of inquiry.
Innocent until proven guilty is now a distant memory to Irish society.
To cap it all we now have the Twitter Mob, used to sell papers and to fabricate the right sort of public outrage.
We have more in common with the days of the Colosseum Mob than we may care to admit.

Kilbarry

Due Process Doesn't Exist Any More!

I think it's a disgrace that so many people's careers have been destroyed on the basis of accusations. What happened to due process?
Due process went out the door a long time ago where sex allegations are concerned. I used to believe (I think many people did) that there was a Statute of Limitations for all crimes EXCEPT murder - but obviously that cannot be true when court cases can be brought about alleged sex abuse in the 1960s and 70s. A detective came along to the place where I worked over a decade ago to give us legal advise over something or other. Afterwards I buttonholed him about the S of L issue. My memory of what he said is:

There is basically no official Statute of Limitations (except maybe for very minor offences). However up to 1990 or thereabouts if you went to the Gardai and reported a "crime" that was supposed to have taken place 30 or 40 years previously, you would be told there was nothing to be done. Criminal convictions can only be obtained on the basis of "beyond reasonable doubt" but how could a jury bring in such a verdict if it was just one person's word against another and neither witnesses nor forensic evidence? There were also the rights of the accused to be considered - if innocent, how could he be expected to provide an alibi in respect of events of 40 years before, when he couldn't remember what he was doing, still less prove it!

The above once applied to all crimes - sexual and NON-sexual assault, robbery etc. However in recent decades the rights of the accused have been stripped away in the case of sex allegations and it IS possible to be convicted without either witnesses or forensic evidence. (Or with the testimony of "witnesses" who intend to split the "compensation" with the main accuser).

Society has now gone a step further and it is possible to destroy a person's career simply by making a sex allegation against him. Even if he is acquitted (or the case never gets to court because it's OBVIOUS tripe), the person may never get his career back. That's the stage we have reached with Al Porter.

FOURGREENFIELDS

This throwing out accusations in the media has to stop. If someone makes a complaint about anyone there should be a law that prohibits the accused being named in the media until such time as the public prosecutors lay charges. It is morally and legally unfair. Aled Jones and Tony Blackburn are, or were, in the same position as Al Porter. Aled Jones's mother in law and Tony Blackburn's families stated that the accusations, especially in the media, wrecked both men.

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
It's hard to see how porter can survive this episode ( survive professionally). That is even before he's had a fair opportunity to defend himself. This can't be right. I know a few ladies who when tipsy get a bit 'handsy' with the lads. They usually target the younger lads I work with. It ends up as a bit of banter at the tea break and before a night out the slagging is full crank on who is going to get nabbed. I don't have all the details but from what I know porters transgressions are in the same level as my 2 lady friends. He shouldn't be doing it and one of his bosses or friends should have a word with him- but ruining his career? I can't square that one on the information that I have read.

Nedz Newt

In Ireland, trial without fair due process became institutionalised with the advent of the tribunals of inquiry.
Innocent until proven guilty is now a distant memory to Irish society.
To cap it all we now have the Twitter Mob, used to sell papers and to fabricate the right sort of public outrage.
We have more in common with the days of the Colosseum Mob than we may care to admit.
Minus the lions tearing the victim limb from limb, of course.
What has Porter been accused of that he didn't actually do?

Half Nelson

Minus the lions tearing the victim limb from limb, of course.
What has Porter been accused of that he didn't actually do?
We don't know.
Even an admission of guilt can sometimes be wrongly made when it's viewed as the lesser evil. Protesting one's innocence rarely goes down well with the mob.

Nedz Newt

We don't know.
Even an admission of guilt can sometimes be wrongly made when it's viewed as the lesser evil. Protesting one's innocence rarely goes down well with the mob.
I'd be sympathetic to that if the accusations were vague and unspecific.
But that's not the case, his actions (as described) have been defined, dated and assigned to exact locations by identifiable persons.
It would've been better for all if he'd been called out on them at the time, but not better than if he'd been given a free pass still.
If his actions (as described) were trivial, and his talent vast, he wouldn't have a problem.

Wagmore

It's hard to see how porter can survive this episode ( survive professionally). That is even before he's had a fair opportunity to defend himself. This can't be right. I know a few ladies who when tipsy get a bit 'handsy' with the lads. They usually target the younger lads I work with. It ends up as a bit of banter at the tea break and before a night out the slagging is full crank on who is going to get nabbed. I don't have all the details but from what I know porters transgressions are in the same level as my 2 lady friends. He shouldn't be doing it and one of his bosses or friends should have a word with him- but ruining his career? I can't square that one on the information that I have read.
All v fair-Porter being v "handsy" covers the stuff that has been made public.Mostly no major deal.Then there's a couple of more serious issues that should be treated as sub judice but weren't.Contrast with media figures and the anonymity that was granted them. Have sympathy for Al but he was out if control

Vega1447

All v fair-Porter being v "handsy" covers the stuff that has been made public.Mostly no major deal.Then there's a couple of more serious issues that should be treated as sub judice but weren't.Contrast with media figures and the anonymity that was granted them. Have sympathy for Al but he was out if control
Why the "sympathy" for Porter?

Roll_On

A few weeks ago I seen an American woman on the news, in floods of tears, surrounded by microphones recount how in 1987, Kevin Spacey propositioned (i.e. nothing happened) her then 21 year old son on a beach in California. Apparently he telephoned her at the time and was extremely distraught. As she recounted the tale tears streamed down her face like she had just escaped some WW2 death camp.

I couldn't help but notice the journalists surrounding her with dead serious faces, absorbing her words. Not one of them seemed to think it was funny/silly/ridiculous, it's quite frightening. I'm sure some of the allegations of late are indeed true and valid complaints, but people like the woman above do really call into question how western society is progressing.

Vega1447

A few weeks ago I seen an American woman on the news, in floods of tears, surrounded by microphones recount how in 1987, Kevin Spacey propositioned (i.e. nothing happened) her then 21 year old son on a beach in California. Apparently he telephoned her at the time and was extremely distraught. As she recounted the tale tears streamed down her face like she had just escaped some WW2 death camp.

I couldn't help but notice the journalists surrounding her with dead serious faces, absorbing her words. Not one of them seemed to think it was funny/silly/ridiculous, it's quite frightening. I'm sure some of the allegations of late are indeed true and valid complaints, but people like the woman above do really call into question how western society is progressing.
Was " propositioned (i.e. nothing happened)" stated or your interpretation?

New Threads

Most Replies