• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Average household disposable income rises to 50k ?

wexfordman

According to this Surprise as pay is up despite years of austerity - Independent.ie

The cso says that average disposable income has risen to 51k!! Im a bit confused, as my understanding of disposable income was income after taxes and essential payments such as rent/morgage/esb etc, i.e the money left over for saving or playing!!

Even if it is not disposable income, 51k after tax income as the average household income, aint bad...if the cso figures are to be believed.

An interesting if, undproven footnote also says "However, other surveys have discovered that the prospect of paying the new property tax this year had held back large numbers of people from spending."

So the prop tax is damaging the economy too!!

beazlebottom

According to this Surprise as pay is up despite years of austerity - Independent.ie

The cso says that average disposable income has risen to 51k!! Im a bit confused, as my understanding of disposable income was income after taxes and essential payments such as rent/morgage/esb etc, i.e the money left over for saving or playing!!

Even if it is not disposable income, 51k after tax income as the average household income, aint bad...if the cso figures are to be believed.

An interesting if, undproven footnote also says "However, other surveys have discovered that the prospect of paying the new property tax this year had held back large numbers of people from spending."

So the prop tax is damaging the economy too!!

More Walter Mitty numbers from an organ of the kleptocratic People's Democratic Republic of Ireland. Whoever produced such rubbish has simply got to be smoking the funny stuff, increasing numbers on the breadline, increasing mortgage defaults, hopeless unemployment numbers, the State stealing bigger parts of the earnings of the few working taxpayers left - and these muppets try to tell us average disposable incomes are up???

EoinMag

Disposable income averages at 51k?

That must be very very heavily top loaded........

Clanrickard

More Walter Mitty numbers from an organ of the kleptocratic People's Democratic Republic of Ireland. Whoever produced such rubbish has simply got to be smoking the funny stuff, increasing numbers on the breadline, increasing mortgage defaults, hopeless unemployment numbers, the State stealing bigger parts of the earnings of the few working taxpayers left - and these muppets try to tell us average disposable incomes are up???
So have you figures to disprove the CSO?

Captain Nemo

What part of Ballsbridge were these figures garnered from. The CSO should be renamed the CCL. Cloud Cuckoo Land. The tragedy is that Enda and his gang will bandy these figures in our faces now and tell us how well off we really are. Better advice I would suggest to Enda is wear a disguise and walk around any town centre in the South East you will have no fear of having to step of a footpath during business hours but you might get a bit lonely as nobody have any spare cash to splash out on clothe's or any of those luxuries we once took for granted. One word of warning though is don't send Phil Hogan we are angry enough and no mater what disguise he would wear his smugness would shine through. :mad:

D

Deleted member 17573

A simple average is meaningless - 1 person on 100k and 3 on 33k will average at 50k. Not much comfort to the 3!

emulator

Surely that can't be right ?

I know it's an average but even at that.... can't be right.

Bow tie

Looking at some of their reports 'disposable' seems to mean after taxation, but before everything else. In which case it means even less. Can anyone confirm?

D

Deleted member 17573

I saw a figure quoted somewhere a few days ago - damned if I can remember where - that quoted a median figure of somewhere between 30k and 35k.

sauntersplash

If you want to disagree, put your money where your mouth is and present conflicting data. Even if your survey only has a sample size of your mates in the pub, you can't just say "rubbish!" to a document produced by the CSO.

sauntersplash

Its called common sense - unfortunately lacking among large swathes of officialdom.
Common sense allows you to accurately ascertain the disposable income of all Irish people?

Does it allow you to tell if it will rain next Wednesday?

ShoutingIsLeadership

You mean the message being put out that we are all sharing the pain and that the only people in clover were the public servants, might have been spin? Never!

There is a cohort of Irish society which is suffering: the 400k+ who are unemployed, those eejits who took on big mortgage debt (of which I am one) and those who had to emigrate [and, obviously, the families of those three categories].

However, for lots of other people, their incomes have been protected from tax cuts and they haven't really suffered at all in the last 2 budgets.

EDIT: I should also have included vulnerable persons who are dependent on certain public services.

Socratus O' Pericles

Who'd have thought public service increments could have had such an effect on National Average Earnings:?

sauntersplash

You mean the message being put out that we are all sharing the pain and that the only people in clover were the public servants, might have been spin? Never!

There is a cohort of Irish society which is suffering: the 400k+ who are unemployed, those eejits who took on big mortgage debt (of which I am one) and those who had to emigrate [and, obviously, the families of those three categories].

However, for lots of other people, their incomes have been protected from tax cuts and they haven't really suffered at all in the last 2 budgets.
The majority of people you mean.

Socratus O' Pericles

beaz doesn't do logic only feelings.

emulator

I saw a figure quoted somewhere a few days ago - damned if I can remember where - that quoted a median figure of somewhere between 30k and 35k.
I would even doubt that.

So, we would be talking about say €600ish to just under €1000ish.... a week.... disposable income ?

As I said.... it can't be right. Either they are arsing around with the figures or terms they use or we have been greatly mistaken for the last few years....

.... and should correct out deficit in a 3-6 month timeframe. :)