• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Avoiding EU Ban on Light Bulbs

Ulster-Lad

German "heatball" wheeze outwits EU light bulb ban

A German entrepreneur is bypassing a European Union ban on light bulbs of more than 60 watts by marketing his own brand as mini heaters. Skip related content

Siegfried Rotthaeuser and his brother-in-law have come up with a legal way of importing and distributing 75 and 100 watt light bulbs -- by producing them in China, importing them as "small heating devices" and selling them as "heatballs."
On their website, the two engineers describe the heatballs as "action art" and as "resistance against legislation which is implemented without recourse to democratic and parliamentary processes."
German "heatball" wheeze outwits EU light bulb ban - Yahoo! News UK

Well someone has found a way to avoid the EU law in this situation. Heat balls anyone?

Mister_Jinks

I must say that I think that that is rather funny

Tigris Celtica

I don't need his heatballs - I have a big box of GLS bulbs bought pre ban stashed in my attic. .:cool:

Tombo

Heatballs all round

I love this story, for so many reasons. Among other things it lays bare the complete rank stupidity of this Warmy Alarimst inspired regulation.

German heatball wheeze outwits EU light bulb ban | Reuters

A German entrepreneur is bypassing a European Union ban on light bulbs of more than 60 watts by marketing his own brand as mini heaters.

Siegfried Rotthaeuser and his brother-in-law have come up with a legal way of importing and distributing 75 and 100 watt light bulbs -- by producing them in China, importing them as "small heating devices" and selling them as "heatballs."

firefly123

Ok I will bite. Why are you against energy efficient lightbulbs other than the deathly light they initially cast? Or is it just a point of principal? Do you drive a leaded petrol car and listen to a gramaphone because the lightbulb is older than both of those.

Watcher2

Ok I will bite. Why are you against energy efficient lightbulbs other than the deathly light they initially cast? Or is it just a point of principal? Do you drive a leaded petrol car and listen to a gramaphone because the lightbulb is older than both of those.
Because they are not fit for purpose. We have one in our under stairs loo. By the time you are finished your business, they haven't emitted enough light. They are useless hunks of junk for a lot of reasons. Another one is if you arer simply looking for somehting and need light only for a few seconds.

Imposing a ban on incandescent bulbs is green thinking gone mad.

Of course the green agenda is not about logical thinking. Its an ideology which should not be contradicted.

I am all for reducing the amount of fossil fuels used, but not for saving the planet purposes. If that comes with it, great, but peoples lives should not be rendered less valuable because of it. Peoples lives should be enhanced. The ban on the bulb doesn't do that.

Sync

/MOD/ Threads merged /MOD/

Tombo

Why did you jump to that erroneous conclusion? I am not against "energy efficent lightbulbs". I am against the regulation that (tries) to ban me from using carbon filament bulbs.

Back at you. Why are you against letting people choose the best toool for the job, so to speak?

Also, you show soem Warmy Alarmist tendencies in that you are ignorance of the term "efficiency".

Just for starts, the carbon filament bulbs in my house are 100% efficient in turning the electricity they use into light and heat. What is turned into light allows me to see, what is turned into heat reduces my dependence on gas. Energy is destroyed it is just transformed.

ANd of course there is the definition of "efficient". I want to see a proper comaprison of electricity consumption of equivalent CFL and Filaemtn bulbs in real life situations. That is turned on and off and on and off. CFL data always refers to electricity consumption at optimal working temperatures (i.e. after warming up for about 15-30 minutes).

firefly123

Fair enough. I always wondered why they banned them rather than make them pricier. Have you tried LEDs in your jacks? You won't miss the bowl with an LED lighting the way!

firefly123

Hey I am as warmy alarmist(?) as the next man. Surely getting heat from a lightbulb is a waste of energy? I understand it heats the house etc but I can't imagine it being the most efficient way. What ahout those balmy summer evenings we are blessed with. Waste of heat then non?

Tombo

Hey I am as warmy alarmist(?) as the next man. Surely getting heat from a lightbulb is a waste of energy? I understand it heats the house etc but I can't imagine it being the most efficient way. What ahout those balmy summer evenings we are blessed with. Waste of heat then non?
Who is best positioned to determine what provides the best solution? Me, who pays ont only for the electricity for my house but also the capital costs of installing the bulbs etc. or some idiot bureaucrat writing laws?

firefly123

So you like the idea of being told what to do, you just have your own preference for the mode of control.
I am not going to go all rage against the machine over light bulbs. I assume that the concept was well meaning (no doubt I will be shown the big business conspiracy) and that it was probably handled wrong.

firefly123

Who is best positioned to determine what provides the best solution? Me, who pays ont only for the electricity for my house but also the capital costs of installing the bulbs etc. or some idiot bureaucrat writing laws?
Can I phone a friend? I am guessing you.

Wakeupcall

It always gets cooler as the sun goes down, even in summer! :)

Think of it as a consistency ball.

firefly123

Would you like to play with my sustainment balls?

G

Gimpanzee

I am all for reducing the amount of fossil fuels used, but not for saving the planet purposes. If that comes with it, great, but peoples lives should not be rendered less valuable because of it. Peoples lives should be enhanced.
You sound like a reasonable individual. You readily accept energy efficiency as a sensible idea because it should improve peoples lives because it cuts down on wasted resources. Enhancing people lives it what matters. Fair enough.

Now, what is it that prevents you from following through with this logical approach and seeing that doubling the worlds population, coupled with ramping up per capita consumption of resources in about 30 years is a serious threat to the people who's lives you are concerned about?