• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Awww, FF want national government to help with the crisis.

dub14

I am in the same boat, isnt it 1000 posts to start a thread ? I have 4 bros and 3 sis and honestly do not know what way they vote so we are not a FF family. I know there is a strong republican background but I have always voted FF simply because I detest extremists. I know FG play the right of centre trick and Labour play the left of centre trick but in reality the core vote of both parties is extreme right and left. I particularly despise FG because of their origins and certainly not because of the Civil War. SF and the Greens do nothing for me and Independents while a form of idealism are at the end of the day pointless. Indications at present suggest FF are in big trouble come the GE but for me its bigger trouble for the country as FG and Labour appear to be heading for a huge majority. They are convinced 120 seats to 46 will be the outcome. If they get their wish and FF is wiped out god help Ireland
If you detest extremities so much then why is extremely corrupt and dishonest acceptable - that's a serious question.

EUrJokingMeRight

Listening to the FF brigade is awful. 'Ah sure vote for us, the other fella is even worserer and hasnt a clue'.

It's like saying 'the other bully spits as well as kicking and punching, we just kick and punch'

I hope the people of Ireland can see through the empty schoolyard mentality of FF and their sympathisers.

The people of Ireland can no longer be proud of our country.

That is the legacy FF has bequeathed on us all.

When the bullies win, what hope is there freedom of any kind?

johnnypockets

Would anybody be interested in starting a thread, something along the lines of: 'If FF no longer existed, who would you then vote for and why?'. I think it could make for very interesting reading.

oggy

Would anybody be interested in starting a thread, something along the lines of: 'If FF no longer existed, who would you then vote for and why?'. I think it could make for very interesting reading.
Such a thread would of course be directed at FF people. Not long a user here but reckon only 6 to 8 FF people post. Strange as in a recent poll here 23 people voted Bertie as best Taoiseach and 24 voted for Brian Cowen. Haughey, Reynolds, Lynch, Dev and of course Lemass all got votes. Lemass of course came out on top with 224 votes. Its irritating that so many FF people lurk on the site and allow the party to be demonised by people with a permanent record of failure. Anyway, a thread for FF people would have the lunatics coming out in droves to repeat the endless rubbish and hatred to derail the thread

dresden8

Its irritating that so many FF people lurk on the site and allow the party to be demonised by people with a permanent record of failure.
Which group of people has led us to a place where we are losing our sovereignty, pray tell?

johnnypockets

Such a thread would of course be directed at FF people. Not long a user here but reckon only 6 to 8 FF people post. Strange as in a recent poll here 23 people voted Bertie as best Taoiseach and 24 voted for Brian Cowen. Haughey, Reynolds, Lynch, Dev and of course Lemass all got votes. Lemass of course came out on top with 224 votes. Its irritating that so many FF people lurk on the site and allow the party to be demonised by people with a permanent record of failure. Anyway, a thread for FF people would have the lunatics coming out in droves to repeat the endless rubbish and hatred to derail the thread
I have to say that the number of FF posters on this site definitely doesn't marry up with the numbers I come across in day to day living. I also take your point about such a thread descending into a farce.

oggy

Which group of people has led us to a place where we are losing our sovereignty, pray tell?
You are in the biggest party in the country, the ABFF. The ABFF have never lead this country anywhere good, bad or indifferent and you never will

Emerald Quill

The All Party Forum ?

The Marian Finucane Show 10/10/10

Listening to The Marian Finucane show today, you might be forgiven for thinking you were on another planet or at least in another country.

Minister John Gormley went to great lengths to welcome in with open arms an all party forum where the ills and woes of the state of the country could be agreed upon and an all party remedy imposed. He even made it quite clear that even though the Taoiseach Brian Cowan may have some reservations about such a mood that this would be “sorted”.

Minister Gormley is playing a two sided game. On the one hand he knows that the game is up between The Green Party and Fianna Fail. He can no longer sustain or indeed endorse the actions of either Brian Cowan or Brian Lenihan. However he is playing a cat and mouse game. The honourable thing for him to do is to meet The Taoiseach and explain to him that The Green Party are withdrawing from Government. Frankly he does not have the “Guts” to do that.

Instead he has floated this all party forum idea in a back door exit strategy. There are several positives for The Green Party in this. First of all they do not need to withdraw from Government if the austere measures have the support of all parties in the House. Secondly they will not have to take hard political decisions as they are becoming increasingly unsure of the effects such policies are having on the country. In other words they have lost confidence in both Minister Lenihan and The Taoiseach because if they had not then they would not need this all party forum in the first place. With the all party forum they can sit back and say well “We thought otherwise but this is The all Party Solution and in the National Interest we are supporting it.

These measures were not introduced by Fianna Fail and The Greens but by All Parties in Government. So by default The Greens survive in Government until 2012, while at the same time washing their hands of all responsibility and abdicating their adopted role in Government. Mr Gormley must take all of us for a bunch of gob******. Who in God’s name is he trying to cod? The electorate of this country are far more intelligent than he thinks.

Minister Gormley either accept your role in this “Awful” Government and abide by the consequences of the decision of The Green Party to enter coalition with Fianna Fail or Resign. There are your only options, because if you think you are getting off the hook through this slippery move you have another thing coming. Minister Gormley “GO NOW” and let the people speak.

Visit EmeraldQuill's Blog | Emerald quill about Irish politics or The Emerald Movement

Maximus Cynicus

The electorate of this country are far more intelligent than he thinks.
Dunno about that. One is reminded of the old P.T. Barnum saying "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people" - think this can safely be related to the Irish people also.

DCon

Discussing this on Radio 1 now.

Gormley raising with his proposal to the Cabinet tomorrow, allegedly.

Willie O'Dea says the Greens are trying to force a consensus and wishes them luck with it.

Willie spent a lot of time "out & about" in his constituency at the weekend and is not sure that a LAB/FG coalition is a certain thing for the new government.

nonpartyboy

Willie on kenny now, it clear ff's big idea is to take the whole political system down the sink hole with them, so they can come back with the were all as bad as one another, cynical says willie there is no more cynical than the ff party.

showbandmanager

I've come to the conclusion that we're actually living in a dictatorship run by Mary 'Mama Doc ' O'Rourke.
Every time i turn on the telly or radio she's there.

nonpartyboy

Willies ff constituents want to take everyone down, who da thunk it !

rgaok

I've come to the conclusion that we're actually living in a dictatorship run by Mary 'Mama Doc ' O'Rourke.
Every time i turn on the telly or radio she's there.
A dictatorship run by mammy O' rourke, dillie O' wee and RTE.....

deiseguy

FF have two strategies in play at the minute.

1) Get FG and Lab around the table and suck them into the s**tstorm around the next budget. This budget will be nothing other than a play for time with the really tough decisions postponed to be left for whatever coalition is in power after the next election.

2) Failing that they will bring in a budget in an unsupportable budget that will precipitate a general election which simply hands the mess to the next government which will not have any FF presence in its make-up. Each scenario is designed to have a FF taoiseach on the reviewing platform outside the GPO on Easter Sunday 2016. They will attack the new government relentlessly and will have vast amounts of ammunition provided to them by the measures this new government will be forced to implement.

The only way to avoid this is for FG and Lab to agree to a national government starting next Monday. Call FF and the Greens bluff. 15 ministers plus Taoiseach and Tainiste. 6:5:4 to FF:FG:Lab. Each minister to get a junior shadow from another party in his department. Every party agrees from the outset that May 2012 is the election date. FG and Lab can then front load the pain in the next 2 budgets and tie FF to it. FG and Labs poll position might worsen slightly but they will still have a comfortable majority after the 2012 election. If FF pull the plug their hypocrisy will simply be further exposed. If this is going to be done it needs to be done quickly. It would probably be best if the MoFinance was left with FF otherwise they would use their lack of control of this department to distance themselves from the budgets. FF have to be made tidy their own mess for once and this is one way of doing it.

nonpartyboy

Never happen , ff want a national govt where they retain the merc's and perks but spread the blame around , I doubt they would even give a minority of cabinet seats.

myksav

Misleading title, there.
It looks like the Green's want something close to what you claim, but only close. FF looks to be saying make up your own budget plans and we'll have a look at them.

gaiusc

Strange as in a recent poll here 23 people voted Bertie as best Taoiseach and 24 voted for Brian Cowen. Haughey, Reynolds, Lynch, Dev and of course Lemass all got votes. Lemass of course came out on top with 224 votes.
You are of course aware that there have been only 4 non-Zanu FF Taoiseach's? It's not like we had a wide choice.

LDF

Twelve months ago Brian Lenihan delieverd Budget 2010 stating that it would be the harshest budget he would have to impose on the country and that the country had turned a corner. Fast forward to October 2010 and the severe economic crisis facing us has FF and the Greens scrambling for the help of FG and Lab.

Are the media up in arms about Lenihan's utter mismanagement of the economy and the banking crisis over 2010? Of course not. Instead, he's feted as Cowen's obvious successor and the only man who can get us out of this crisis. You couldn't make it up.

loaded32

Lenihan's national unity call to face crisis - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

So basically FF want to share the blame in the next Budget, which will, like everything they design, be crafted specifically to protect the wealthy, and decimate the poor, the sick, the elderly, the working mortgage slaves and anyone else they can shaft.

Because they want to hold onto power as long as they can, they think that if they can blame unpopular aspects of the Budget on FG, or Labour, and say publicly "oh, but FG/Labour agreed with that measure", that they may retain some chance of staying in power/not being DECIMATED in the next elections and for years and years to come/having a forced general election when the electorate become so enraged that they demand one.

For the love of God, I pray Labour and FG won't fall for it, and tell them "No. You seemed to have it all under control. Go for it."

Deceitful sneaks. Bring in a fair Budget, and let the bondholders take some pain, or else take the blame for what you do to the country. But don't try and spread the collective responsibility for your simultaneously moronic and corrupt economic policies so you can cling to power with your greasy fingers. I feel sick.
FG/Labour/SF should ask the Greens/Govt (as Im not sure if this is from the greens or the government as a whole) just one question in rethort : Why didnt you ask us to come on board for a cross-party forum on the Banking crisis and policies ? If I was Gilmore, I'd be saying no-way Jose and on the basis of the above, it would be a credible response!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies