[B] Abuse vigil planned for the same time as Pope’s Mass[/B] Sunday 26/08/18, 3pm.

Socratus O' Pericles

Abuse vigil planned for the same time as Pope’s Mass

Colm O’Gorman: Without simple truth, there can be no justice.

Survivors of clerical sex abuse have been invited to an event in the Garden of Remembrance at the same time as Pope Francis celebrates Mass in the Phoenix Park amid growing anger over speculation the Pontiff may not meet victims’ groups.

It is understood Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has been pushing for a meeting to take place but that time pressures could mean any meeting would be with a sample or representative group. Any meeting would also likely be held in private.

The situation has sparked anger among survivors and led to Colm O’Gorman, executive director with Amnesty Ireland, outlining plans for a vigil in the Garden of Remembrance at 3pm on Sunday, August 26, when the Pope will be celebrating the Final Mass in the Phoenix Park.

Mr. O’ G or man tweeted: “We cannot and will not allow this visit to simply disappear those who have suffered. This event will be a moment to assert and respect the dignity of those who have been abused and to stand in solidarity with them. To mark an end to the Ireland that allowed this to happen.”

Mr. O’Gorman, speaking later, said the event in the Garden of Remembrance was not meant in any way to disrespect the Mass in the Phoenix Park or the motivations of “deep respect” in those attending it.

But he said: “It is an opportunity for people to stand in solidarity in a way that respects and acknowledges the dignity of people who have been so damaged by the Church”.

He said a meeting with survivors seemed “so down the pecking order”, causing hurt and anger among those affected.

“The only thing that Pope Francis needs to do when he comes to Ireland is to tell the damn truth,” he said.

“Without simple truth, there can be no justice.”

On RTɒs Today with Miriam programme, abuse survivor and former member of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors in the Vatican, Marie Collins said: “He [Pope Francis] should be meeting representatives of the industrial schools, of the Magdalene Laundries, of the mother and baby homes simply as a recognition of those horrors.

“Ignoring an issue is not going to make it go away.”

She added it would be “completely untenable” not to address all survivor groups.

Hope to see you there.

Spanner Island

Hope to see you there.
I won't be anywhere near any of it but no problem with it... particularly if there are still doubts about him meeting with victims...

For myself however, I'm hoping to get through those few days far away from Dublin city centre in a p!ssed stupor... :cool:

Socratus O' Pericles

were you abused?
If you call been beaten up regularly by so-called "christian" brothers and lay teachers then yes. But this is for my friends who were raped and violated by the clergy.

GDPR

If we havent realised by now that the RCC is like any other child trafficking/sex abuse ring, we have understood nothing.

I dont care what your religious beliefs are, or what Jesus would think. This was a criminal operation on our soil. They did far, far, far more damage than the RUC the British Army and the B-Specials - all combined.

Fr. Ted Crilly

If we havent realised by now that the RCC is like any other child trafficking/sex abuse ring, we have understood nothing.

I dont care what your religious beliefs are, or what Jesus would think. This was a criminal operation on our soil. They did far, far, far more damage than the RUC the British Army and the B-Specials - all combined.
To be fair, they were ably assisted by successive FFG governments and AGS here for decades.....

GDPR

To be fair, they were ably assisted by successive FFG governments and AGS here for decades.....
It was the carnival of reaction we were promised by Connolly. The biggest lesson I got in my life regarding Irish politics is that us Northerners werent the only victims. There is a certain purity, lol, in knowing you were going to get the fuzzy end of the lollipop because you were just a Northern Fenian at the height of the Mad Orange State. Its another thing to know the Republic ate its own, when we were so desperate to be there.

Drive them down.

Catalpast

:roll:

Buchaill Dana

Would that be Colm abortion is a human right O'Gorman?

Would ending your life not be considered the ultimate abuse anyway?
Change the record.

This is about the CEO of an organisation that owes this state hundreds of millions refusing to meet the victims of his companies rape, murder, skavery and medical experiment ring. This protest will be more dignified than the tacky celeb inspired main event.

The Field Marshal

Change the record.

This is about the CEO of an organisation that owes this state hundreds of millions refusing to meet the victims of his companies rape, murder, skavery and medical experiment ring. This protest will be more dignified than the tacky celeb inspired main event.
Tripe.
The individual styling himself “pope “ Francis is no longer , even if he ever was in the past , a true pope.

Therefore both you and these individuals holding a vigil are deluded.

JarredGreene

Change the record.

What vigils are planned for victims of gay child rapists that never donned the cloth?

Oh, that’s right, fück all.

Glenshane4

They did far, far, far more damage than the RUC the British Army and the B-Specials - all combined.
That might be YOUR opinion. I have a different opinion.

P.S. You have a hell of a cheek trying to belittle the suffering of the oppressed Catholic people of Northern Ireland.

The Field Marshal

Same people just voted for abortion.

Hypocrites!
It is estimated that about one in six practising Catholics also voted for abortion .
No doubt many of these deluded fools will also scurry along to anti pope”Francises rallies when he vists Ireland with his gay clerical entourage.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies