• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

B&Bs should have right to refuse gays: Senior Tory.

G

Gadjodilo

Senior Tory Chris Grayling attacked for gaffe over gays in B&Bs

Chris Grayling, the Shadow Home Secretary, faced criticism from all sides today after suggesting that people who ran bed and breakfasts should have the right to turn away gay couples.

Mr Grayling said that Christians should be able to refuse anyone who offended their faith from entering their homes, even if they ran a business there.

Full article here:
Senior Tory Chris Grayling attacked for gaffe over gays in B&Bs - Times Online

Sync

Embarrassing stuff for the Tories, especially on the heels of Cameron's interview debacle a couple of weeks ago. I do think it's a small story though that's being blown up by Labour to distract from the 3 polls today that showed them trailing by 10 points.

eoghanacht

Twin Towers

B&B owners should have the right to refuse anyone they don't wish in their home. To all intent and purpose they do anyway.

eoghanacht

B&B owners should have the right to refuse anyone they don't wish in their home. To all intent and purpose they do anyway.
Yeah, no blacks, no irish

Rocky

You have to admire the Conservatives ability to shot themselves in the foot. This is simply stupid stuff in every way possible.

drkpower

What's wrong with a b&b turning away anyone it wishs.
Do you invite people that you don't want into your home? .
A B&B is not 'your home'; it is a business. And businesses providing services and goods to the public cannot discriminate in that manner.

If they are entitled to turn away homosexuals, can the local cafe turn away blacks, and can the local shop turn away the physically disabled?

A little bit of thought would go a long way, gents.

Twin Towers

A B&B is not 'your home'; it is a business. And businesses providing services and goods to the public cannot discriminate in that manner.
If you live there with your family full time its your home.

Sync

It's a business, and the law is pretty clear in the UK surrounding this. You can argue that law should be changed, but the current state of affairs isn't really up for debate.

TommyO'Brien

If you live there with your family full time its your home.
No it is not. If you are running a business from there and in receipt of funds through the business, it is a business address in which you happen to live. And every and all laws relating to business apply.

If you can't hack the rules that follow from running of a business, then quit. If you are running a B&B you are in business and business rules apply, full stop.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
Youre charging people to stay in your home.
you can play pedantics all night (although the law is pretty clear that it IS a business and covered by equality legislation), but care to answer the question? Should they also be allowed refuse blacks? or Catholics?

gnasher

Youre charging people to stay in your home.
Which makes it a business transaction, subject to laws.

I can invite people over to my house for dinner if I want. But if I want to start charging them, then I'm subject to the normal environmental health regulations. It's the same sort of thing.

Twin Towers

you can play pedantics all night (although the law is pretty clear that it IS a business and covered by equality legislation), but care to answer the question? Should they also be allowed refuse blacks? or Catholics?
In the real world of running a B&B you do discriminate. If its a choice between taking one person on their own or a couple you will take the couple as that means getting more for the room. That is discrimination perhaps.

G

Gadjodilo

Embarrassing stuff for the Tories, especially on the heels of Cameron's interview debacle a couple of weeks ago. I do think it's a small story though that's being blown up by Labour to distract from the 3 polls today that showed them trailing by 10 points.
In fairness to them, the transformation that has been wrought on the party in the last decade or so has been remarkable. Back in that general election in 1997, they were a reactionary rump and the above opinion would have been considered quite moderate compared to some of the stuff they were coming out with.